GreaseSpot Cafe

Kroikeee!!!

J0nny Ling0

I liked him so much because as a kid, I collected snakes and other reptiles. When I was ten, I even caught a cotton mouth water moccasin with my bare hands. Of course, I didn't know it was a cotton mouth until after I had caught it and showed it to a few neighbor ladies. It was after that, when I showed it to my brother Miles and watched his jaw drop, that I knew I had made a mistake. My brother then informed that I was holding the second most deadly snake in America, and that we would carefully walk back to the creek without my letting loose of my grip just behind the snake's head so I could toss him into the water. Which we did, without incident. Scared the crap out of all of us! And to think that I had grabbed him by the tail when he was slipping off a log and into the water! Coulda killed me easily! but I managed to get him by the head, and God saved my goofy butt by keeping him from biting. And shoot, I had been bitten many many times by non poisonous snakes already, and I was fully prepared to be bitten anyway, but, of course, I didn't know he was a moccasin...

At any rate, I always loved watching Steve Irwin, because he made a career out of doing what I loved to do as a kid, and he took his love for the Creatures all around the world and saw and handled so much more of it than a kid could dream of.

So sad that it was such a fluke thing like the stingray that got him. I wonder if he knew that he'd been lanced through the heart? Bye Steve! Thanks for the memories! :wave:

After I finally accepted that it wwas real and he was gone I had a most irreverant thought which was

"poor graham {the salt water croc that bit Wes a few years back at the zoo} He'll never get another chance at Steve-o"

It would be interesting if someone did a study on how the animals at the zoo reacted to all the grief around them. They have to sense it, they have to be missing him.

I'm sure they do or will.

I was a daring kid too Lingo and i sorta relate to his life in a modest been there done that sort of way, he pushed limits I wouldn't have but that is what an explorer does is to push the limits of reality and challenge our thinking.

I'm a momma hen too tho and want my junior explorers to have a decent set of skills to cope with such uncertainties and not to face these things unprepared.

Sudo I'm guessing that what with the extra folks along with Steves adventure (the cameraman editor and guide) that his sponsers had a Dr and antivenom nearby. His injuries were probably not expected ( I mean how many times do you hear of a diver getting speared by a stingray?) Me thinks he pushed the limits one too many times and paid the price for it but on the other hand what a good ride he had (and we who share in his adventures and awareness)

Edited by herbiejuan

"I hate snakes..." Indiana Jones

Some of us marvelled when he handled the Black Mamba snake. Especially me.

Thirty four years ago in Vietnam I was walking across a sandy divide between a wooded area and our compound. I saw a small green snake heading toward the compound. Finding a large rock, I hurled it at the snake. I missed. To my shock, the snake turned and headed toward me, incredibly fast. I turned and ran as fast as I could, somehow now sensing this snake was dangerous, but how dangerous I did not know. I only threw the rock at it because I hated snakes.

I outran the snake and some fifty yards later I turned to see the snake about thirty feet behind me, which had suddenly decided to stop, turn and head some other way other than the compound. It ceased chasing me.

Returning to the compound that night, I got to my barracks and told members of my company what had happened. One of the more experienced vets put his cigarette on the floor, stomping on it with his boot. Blowing the last of the smoke out of the side of his mouth, he looked up at me and said, "You're an idiot".

Angrily, I shot back, "What the hell do you know about it (the snake). He looked around at the other guys there, then back at me and said, "We call it the One-Step".

"What's does "One-Step" mean?" I asked.

"It means," he said, "that if he had bitten you, you would walk one step, then drop dead. There is no antidote."

That day I went from just hating snakes to actually fearing them. I never challenged a snake again. I guess Steve Irwin would have went back out to hunt it down for the next day's breakfast.

Living here in Australia, a lot of the Aussies are saying that if he was wearing sunblock he would have been protected from the most harmful rays. I think this is harsh ,but Aussies have a sense of humour, to deal with the loss of Steve Irvin, so sad to hear of his loss of life as he was so diligent with showing the world his knowledge of animals.

I think its a classic example of "he who lives by the sword..".

I, on the other hand, think that with only 3 fatalities involving Sting Rays during the entire history of Austrailia, it has little to do with his involvment with snakes or any sort of bravado involving Black Mambas.

What happened here was a very unfortunate set of circumstances that do not come about often.

Speaking for myself, I will miss Mr. Irvin. He was a very entertaining fellow who actually managed to teach something valuable while being entertaining.

SFSailor