GreaseSpot Cafe

Vista RC1 Screen Shots

Seth R.

Yeah, this is the new upgrade from Microsoft for XP.

Seth, any info on price of upgrade for current XP users? I read about $199-wondered if that was accurate.

Does Vista include an upgrade of Media Center, and have they corrected the DVD burn issue which is problematic with XP version?Media Center DVD burn problem for XP

I was having good success recording old VHS tapes into Media Center, and then burning them on a DVD. But after four or five burns MC crashed. I was able to recover and retreive all my previously recorded data (at that point only five items) but have never been able to burn from MC again. Nothing wrong with the recorder itself-CD's burn fine.

Just curious to see if you'd tried it out. It's cheaper than buying a VHS/DVD recorder and the quality was good.

Yeah, this is the new upgrade from Microsoft for XP.

Seth, any info on price of upgrade for current XP users? I read about $199-wondered if that was accurate.

Does Vista include an upgrade of Media Center, and have they corrected the DVD burn issue which is problematic with XP version?Media Center DVD burn problem for XP

I was having good success recording old VHS tapes into Media Center, and then burning them on a DVD. But after four or five burns MC crashed. I was able to recover and retreive all my previously recorded data (at that point only five items) but have never been able to burn from MC again. Nothing wrong with the recorder itself-CD's burn fine.

Just curious to see if you'd tried it out. It's cheaper than buying a VHS/DVD recorder and the quality was good.

Wow you sure want alot, I'd get a Mac. But seriously I always use a 3rd party burner, because Microsoft's built in apps suck, they always have, Vista is not going to change that.

I'm just testing it, I'm going to switch to Linux and Mac OSX soon, goodbye Windows.

Seth

Seth,

what hopes do we have to be able to customize the thing to resemble Classic Windows?

XP has that option, and I consider that superior to the XP interface.

I know Betas don't have the stability of later builds, but how has this thing been

running? Is it more crash-prone, say, than 2000 or XP? (They don't crash much.)

What do you consider to be the greatest improvement over XP or 2000?

Seth - are you using Pro or Home or whatever Vista calls it?

In the highest level version I am sure it has remote desktop again. But do they allow more than only one concurrent user to connect IN to your computer at the same time using two different profiles? Similar to the way Server 2003 does? Do they still call it Remote Desktop or are they going to call it Terminal Server?

Thanks, John R.

WordWolf, Yes you can muckup the look and feel however you like just like XP, but if you are looking for a more efficent UI why not use Linux? Since VMWare is free now you could use Linux to do anything, but then that's my twisted thinking.

As far as stablility goes I'll answer that after I install Battlefield 2 on it and play for a couple hours, but if you want to test the quality of your components Install Vista, if it even let's you install it then you have a good box. I'm running build 5728 which is much better then 5600 that one was quirky, but build 5384 was TOO STABLE it took 2 hours to install and was sloooow I put 1.5 gig of ram in it and it still was slow I found out why, the Indexing service.

It's a love hate with Vista, the graphics are nice the interface is smooth, but it's like traveling in cold-war Europe exery time you run a new program or install something you have to show your papers, OK just kidding but the mouse clicking get's nuts.

I think they really have a server class OS running with a desktop look and feel, it's the best of XP and server 2003.

John, all the beta testers are running "Vista Ultimate" which is like XP Pro MediaCenter and Tablet Edition rolled up into one. The Terminal services are not part of this build. Right now I'm dictating using Microsoft's speech recognition services. This is really cool because all I have to do is talk tough to you, and it types the words very accurately I might say. So the best new thing in Microsoft Vista is the ability to dictate your messages. Now that I am doing this I think this is how I will answer all my mail from now on.

So all I have to do is speak to the computer and it types the words in, if I want to edit something there's certain commands I can speak.

In closing my report to you I want to say this, using this speech recognition system I may not switch to linux after all. However I doubt that the speech recognition system would be included in anything but the ultimate edition, we will have to see.

Seth

P. S. I spent 10 minutes talking to the computer correcting the mistakes that the speech recognition system made. It's kind of neat and I didn't even need to type to edit my document!

• 3 weeks later...

You can use widgets to add things to your desktop without any trouble.

The clock looks like yahoo's widget.

Google and Yahoo have widgets.

And you can make your own.

Plus you don't have to make your desktop an 'active desktop'.

Meaning that it needs a constant internet connection.

Vista probably did what XP did and bought rights to other programs and incorparated them into their os.