GreaseSpot Cafe

I'm in a pickle...help!

Linda Z

I bought my Sony Vaio computer a little over 3 years ago. It came with the Windows XP and Microsoft Office software already installed.

This morning I got prompted to update (you probably know what I mean...MSN does these automatic prompts when there are updates for your computer). I only installed the recommended updates...one of which was for Outlook Express.

Here's my problem. I can't get into my e-mail. It wants my user name and a big long code "from the back of the CD box" that MS Office came in. But I never had CDs for any of the software for my computer except the Sony monitor. That's always bugged me, and now it's apparently more than an annoyance.

So anyway, my question is, how can I get into my e-mail? Can I uninstall the latest update to OE without uninstalling it altogether?

I'm so frustrated.

I'd really appreciate any advice anyone can give me!

Programs-> Accessories-> System Tools-> System Restore -> Restore my computer to an earlier time-> Next->

Then select the latest date you can find, then follow the steps.

That will put your machine back to the setting/programs it had on that date.

So long as that date is before your problem update, you're all set.

In theory.

(No guarantee it will fix it.)

If it's your XP CD key, or office cd key, you can find it with Magical Jelly Bean's Keyfinder. Download it HERE.

Edited to say:

Even if Office was pre-installed you should have still received a certificate of authenticity that has the cd key on it. It would be in the docs that came with the computer.

Rick

Edited by Bluzeman

Even if Office was pre-installed you should have still received a certificate of authenticity that has the cd key on it. It would be in the docs that came with the computer.

A lot of fly-by-night computer retailers have been using MS Enterpirse Licenses when selling PCs. Basically they buy a 10 or 25 license, getting one CD key good for all 25, then sell 2500 PCs using the same key and no source CDs or licenses certificates.

MS then sends out a "security" update, in the guise of protecting your PC, which is actually software for their "Genuine Advantage" crap. It checks to see if your MS software is properly licensed and, if it isn't, shuts it down.

One possible way to get at your mail in Outlook Express is to install Eudora and import into it.

Although, isn't Outlook Express free? Or did they change that? I thought it was bundled with IE and that only the full blown Outlook was a part of Office requiring purchase of a license?

Either way, you might want to get your CD keys in order, especially for your installation of Windows. Otherwise, you might find yourself locked out of that shortly (which is the dumbest thing I've ever seen MS do), as other people are finding themselves.

Yeah, OE is part of the OS, but she said she is using ms-office outlook.

There ARE a lot of computer shops that will sell you pirated stuff. If I catch one doing it, I will turn them in in a heartbeat. NOT because I have any love at all for Micro$oft, but because it makes all of us in the business look bad.

Personally, I keep hopeing that the combination of X-Windows, Open Office, and *nix will eventually take a BIG bite out of the big blue monster. :evildenk:

Rick

Under help, you should check for upates for ms office.

Also I think there is a repair command there.

and 'Open Office' is a great set of programs btw

Another thought is that for my rr email, I can access my email via webmail and view my mail while it's still on rr's server and not downloaded to my comp. So I can access my rr account that way. But not what is already on the computer.

I'd certainly run the updates for ms office from ms office though.

I hope you get it fixed.

Or maybe that repair command is in control panel-add remove programs.

Click on remove in there and it gives you the option to repair. Don't worry it won't automatically remove your program without asking you first.

yes

Detect and repair under help in all your office programs. And it will go through all your ms office programs. Just switched to the comp. that has our ms office programs.

I would ditch Outlook Express in favor of full blown Outlook.

OE is dead. No longer supported, no longer being updated. Hasn't been for a while

Outlook 2003 is way better. Can't say that about Outlook 2002 and previous. But 2003 is outstanding.

Office 2003 is quite a bargain in my opinion. You can install it multiple times, contrarty to popular belief. I just installed mine for the 5th time with no argument from Microsoft (one of the greatest companies in the world in my opinion.) How much have you "stolen" from Microsoft? How many copies of their past software have you installed on multiple computers including Windows 98 without paying for it? How many billions have you given to charity? Then quit complaining about how evil they are. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Anyway back to topic. You can in stall Outlook, open it and get it set up for your email and such. Make sure it is working. Then simply Import from OE into Outlook. Once you do that you can go into Windows components in Control Panel and uninstall OE for good.

Not sure why a serial number would be asked for after Windows Updates unless there is stolen software or unless it is a false detection which has been known to happen.

Outlook express serves well as a newsgroup reader and can be incorparated into Outlook 2003. Which LindaZ has.

And it's not stealing to use what you have bought. Microsoft has now broken it's promise again by dropping support for 98 and Millinium, as well as other programs. I don't think anyone will break ms's bank account by running the same copy of windows or any ms program on more then one computer for their own use. The government even tryed to make a dent in them and only served to make them stronger.

There are many office programs and others that serve as well as ms and are free.

Personally I don't have anything against ms, except that they charge too much for their operating systems. They have also succeded in replacing macs with pcs in the schools around here as a general purpose machine in the classrooms. While the techs are using macs, from what I've seen.

On another note, soon there will be a comp that has both windows and mac operating systems on them and you can switch os like switching users. Mac and Windows started out in bed together, I guess they are climbing back in.

Edited by dancing

I would ditch Outlook Express in favor of full blown Outlook.

She did. Her problem is with OUTLOOK, not OUTLOOK EXPRESS.

OE is dead. No longer supported, no longer being updated. Hasn't been for a while

Don't know where you got that information, but it's just wrong. OE will be there in Vista, just changed the name to Windows Mail.

Outlook 2003 is way better. Can't say that about Outlook 2002 and previous. But 2003 is outstanding.

I agree.

Office 2003 is quite a bargain in my opinion. You can install it multiple times, contrarty to popular belief. I just installed mine for the 5th time with no argument from Microsoft

On the same machine, yes. Unless you wait 3 or 6 months(can't remember which at the moment) between installations. LEGALLY, you can't put it on another machine though, unless you uninstall it from the previous one.

(one of the greatest companies in the world in my opinion.)

Your entitled to that opinion, although I STRONGLY disagree.

How much have you "stolen" from Microsoft?

None, how about yourself?

How many copies of their past software have you installed on multiple computers including Windows 98 without paying for it?

Never. I have been making my living in the computer world since 1985. I have been a sys-admin for Unix networks, Novell networks, and Windows networks. I have NEVER installed illegal software on a company's computer. Or my home computers, as I only run a few Micro$oft machines myself, out of neccessity, and the rest are all posix-style OS's.

How many billions have you given to charity?

Stupid question.

Then quit complaining about how evil they are. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

I'll complain all I like, thank you very much. And I don't believe I EVER said they were evil.

I don't know WHY would would accuse me of all this stuff, but I don't really give a rat's a$$ what you think anyway. I was only trying to help someone with a problem. Guess I'll think twice before posting any helpful information again.

Ditto to what Bluzeman said.

I'll also add that it appears you are admiting to violating the MS Office license agreement by installing it multiple times. Not sure I would admit such a thing on a public board. The penalties are quite expensive.

I didn't say you Bluz. I said you. Sorry, sheesh, lighten up.

Many bash MSFT here and elsewhere who steal lots from them at the same time. Their OS and products are dirt cheap as is other software except perhaps Adobe which a lot of people steal too.

I didn't say u did. Didn't say I did. And yes, they allow multiple machines. You just have to call. I told them what I did and they did not mind. What a great company. A company who has also given what .....over $27 billion to world causes so far? Same with Warren...most of his fortune to be GIVEN away. Incredible and great imo. Gates Foundatioin

The current version of OE sucks except as a newsreader but there are many better newsreaders out there. (Do people still read newsgroups???) To my knowledge the current OE is no longer supported. Why not use Outlook. It's simply better.

Maybe a new version of OE in Vista. I was not aware.

To quote an article:

After spending two days with the Outlook Express development team it was apparent that they have been listening to our complaints, suggestions and feedback, and have devised some exciting new approaches to solving long-standing issues. The Outlook Express that will be included in Windows Vista promises to be a great advance over current versions. A new and less confusing name (Windows Mail), a far more stable and robust file system, a powerful and award-winning junk-mail filter, a completely new face on the Windows Address Book, and built-in access to the Microsoft public news server are just a few of the changes we will see. Although the final version of Windows Vista is still many months away, what I have seen so far in Windows Mail is very encouraging and has convinced me not to give up just yet. I plan to continue my long struggle to make Outlook Express, or rather Windows Mail, the best possible email and news client for Windows.

Soooooorrrrrrry!!

Don't be offended and leave so easily over one post clash which is misinterpreted entirely.

You'll clash plenty on Greasespot trust me.

For what it's worth I am not a trained technician like you seem to be. I am a hobbyist and a businessman, self taught.

If you leave, do it for a bigger reason than me. I'm not worth getting yourself flustered over. Others need you more than they need me. Look to the greater good. In fact, I think I will take leave too. Just too busy.

See you around I hope.

John R.

Oh, and Screw u Greasy Tech. I did not steal. But if u wanna be a rat it will go nowhere, trust me. I have all my receipts. In fact I purchased my last software, 4 versions of PRO, one Server 2003, 5 CAL, 4 versions of Office 2003 and 2 Front Page 2003, directly from the Microsoft Store via a friend who worked there. Dummy. Ha!

Edited by igotout

It's done-

Mac and windows on the same machine-a note book even.

My wife works at a University in purchasing and have ordered a bunch of them.

And thanks for acknowledging my reply to your post igotout-touching.

Yeah, a business man, what does that mean.

Micro$oft wants to control the product after it's already been sold to someone.

And then drop support for it without blinking an eye.

Yeah business, what I do with what I buy is none of their business.

The laws of the land have copyright laws, yet Micro$oft wants to impose their own laws.

Maybe their should be a union of Micro$oft users.

Slap that big dog on the nose.

And some people just may not like Outlook.

Outlook express works fine as a mail and news reader.

In fact in reviews by some it ranks near the top.

O yeah i know, I've been on the other side.

Tell me how many have you capitalized on yet do not reward?

They supply their own resources and you reap the benefits for years.

Even the bible says to let a slave go after 7 years.

The route should be theirs after giving you so much.

As usual I'm underestimated.

To those of you who use Thunderbird,

is there any way she can get all the functionality she wanted in an open-source

("I'll install it wherever I want") format?

I think most of us agree "OpenOffice" is at least the equal of "Office."

(And FireFox is at least the equal of IE.)

Oh, and Screw u Greasy Tech. I did not steal. But if u wanna be a rat it will go nowhere, trust me. I have all my receipts. In fact I purchased my last software, 4 versions of PRO, one Server 2003, 5 CAL, 4 versions of Office 2003 and 2 Front Page 2003, directly from the Microsoft Store via a friend who worked there. Dummy. Ha!

Jesus John! Get up on the wrong side of the bed?

I'm not sure WW I don't use it. On my FreeBSD machines I use Evolution which is a pretty good Outlook clone but only available for *nix...no windoze version available.

But I would almost bet that the ability to integrate email with all the other office products would not exist. Again, I don't use it so I'm sorry, I really can't give any solid answers.

Rick

Office 2003 is quite a bargain in my opinion. You can install it multiple times, contrarty to popular belief. I just installed mine for the 5th time with no argument from Microsoft

I was responding to this. You imply that anyone can install it multiple times on various computers and that you've done it 5 times yourself. This is not true.

MS Office 2003's End User License Agreement reads (selected segments):

261769359_eb14f7c491_o.jpg

I'm glad your happy being a Microsoft fan. I have nothing against that. I was one at one time also.

Of course, I was also in a cult at one time.... :evildenk:

Edited by GreasyTech

Thanks to everyone who offered advice, and thanks to Paw for offering to talk me thru it on the phone....I just ran out of time Sunday, and before I knew it it was too late at night to call. I did appreciate the offer, though.

My problem seems to be resolved. I just went into Programs and clicked on my faithful old Outlook Express icon and it opened up and worked fine, and I've had no problems since. In fact, whatever I did fixed a conflict between Norton Security and OE. Go figure. I'm smarter than I thought I was (hahahah such a laugh...I had no idea what I was doing).

I have MS Office 2003 at work. I like good ol' OE better for my simple e-mail purposes. All I care is that I can send and receive mail, store a few e-mails in folders, and keep track of people's e-mail addresses. Any bells and whistles beyond that are wasted on me.

And you boys quit snipin' at each other, for goodness sakes. You're all great, but don't make me stop this car!