GreaseSpot Cafe

Beginner Home Studio Software

TOMMYZ

TommyZ-

I play guitar too (a classical electric).

I use two older programs, Sound Forge 4.5

and Cool Edit Pro v.1.2a.

So easy to use and record on hard-drive - even I can do it (lol).

I couldn't live without Cool Edit Pro.

It's one of the easiest and more efficient programs I have found to do multi-track recordings. And it's great with f/x plug-ins (DSP, Hyperprism, TC Native), though the plug-ins that come with this version are quite good.

It's amazing what one can do to tailor each individual track with the plug-ins. And one can multitrack 8 tracks or more with this prog, depending on how much memory your PC has.

I have other progs yet to figure out, but the two progs I mentioned are great for anyone starting out, and are very easy to use.

And the quality and clarity far exceeds that

of my old Fostex 4 track cassette recorder

(lol).

One more prog worth mentioning is the freeware "Recordlab Internet Tape Deck"

which is good for multitracking, and easiest to use midi keyboards with if mixing with the guitars.

But Cool Edit Pro is still at the top of my list. There are without doubt better programs, but this one has proven most user-friendly for me.

Danny

Cubasis VST 4.0 and one of the Cakewalk series may do you too. Check them out here. I've been trying out Cubasis for a workstation program, it will load up to 48 analog tracks and more midi tracks, forget how many. There's a learning curve but it does a lot. You can get it for under a 100 bucks. Or you could upgrade your sound card to an EMU 404 for under a 100, and the Cubasis software comes with it I think, you'd want to make sure but I think it's packaged with the EMU cards. The 404 converts your recording at 24 bit, 96 khz and has pretty good sound for multi tracking.

Big issue is always going to be your system capacity. I started out years ago using Digital Orchestrator, which they marketed as needing a "minimum of 8 megs ram". icon_wink.gif;)--> That was nowhere near enough of course. To get the full benefit of your hardware and get a minimum of 8 tracks that you can work with smoothly and that sound decent you'll need as much processor and memory as you can commit to. Definitely start with what you've got but remember analog/wav recording is always ruled by the caveat "track mileage may vary dependent on your system's capacity".

I've also worked with Sound Forge and it's good too, although I use it primarily for editing.