GreaseSpot Cafe

10 or more

likeaneagle

Vegan- we were neighbors..:) I lived at the Wisc. and Il border area for 27 yrs..I miss the cheese and sausage, of course, I shoped in Wisc..good brats and cheeses..yum. My sis lives in Kenosha..Yes, Milw, has very small streets..yikes!

Rhino- It must look rather pretty out in your area.Graupel...Earth Sciences have always have been a huge attraction to me..thanks for the education(is this earth or enviromental?) We wont go into Metar code, I will get lost quickly.. stay warm.

Bowtwi- didnt you live in Janestown..are you missing the snow?

Dmiller- your a dangerous man..taking off in snowstorms..:)

For years my daughters, family and friends and I would go iceskating dowtown Chicago, 'Skate on State', a family tradition.. :(

Edited by likeaneagle

We finally got the stuff here.

Go to school time it was nuttin honey and I considered keeping my daughter home rather than have to deal with the madness of it all when they released school early after the snow got bad. Adding to the ice underneath it.

I didn't.

She called at 11:30 school was out early, her friend Nicole had missed her bus cuz of confusion whether to get on or what and could we adopt her and keep her, something like that, til the storm passed.

We found Nicole's grandmother home and delivered her there but the drive was treacherous to say the least, if a little fun.

Grocery store was maddening when we stopped to get a movie, shelves emptied of milk and bread and water.

Michigan is so very beautiful.

Home, safe, dry and getting to watch the beauty. :dance:

Hey Shell- I work for the County Public Schools here in NC, and I know they close down school if they smell the four letter word, geesh, they flash warnings every 5 minutes on tv, its crazy.It's a panic driven.....so I will have extra time off this winter..which I dont mind a bit..I better go to Borders for my winter reading material..

be safe!

Edited by likeaneagle

Yeah, it takes quite a bit to close the school here. We like it when they do, we get to lie around the house watching movies, eating junk, napping.........it's good.

And the higher the grade she gets to in school, the tougher the decision to not send her. The make up load is much bigger now if she misses.

I love winter!

well, sounds like you all just eased into the beginings of a midwestern winter..:)

Ive been peeking in from work all day, thinking when I get home I need to hang my outside lights before the temps fall. I got it done, except Im 10 ft short on lights..tomorrow is another day. The temps are just falling and we had your snow today in the form of mini misting rain. No pellets..:)

THe moon is awesomely bright in the sky tonight....

another day is done.

nologerlurking..a cruise...Im so ready for a Spring Cruise.

Edited by likeaneagle

dmiller, sounds like fun!!!! I wanna go too!!!!! I used to take my 4WD Toyota out in the snow, too, before the roads were plowed. But I couldn't get out in the 10" snow--no way that vehicle could clear that snow!! LOL!--so I'd go to the empty store parking lots and do donuts!! LOL!!!!!

Ahhhh, snow. . .

I remember in MI, we'd go sledding at night under the full moon--GORGEOUS!!!!! We'd bundle up, drag our sleds to the best hill on the farm, (which was way down the lane--we had a 160 acre farm and the lane was about 1/2 mile long), and sled til we were frozen!! It was so cold my nose stuck together when I'd breathe in! LOL! But oh, so beautiful, and so quiet and peaceful. You could hear a cow moo off in the distance, and often the shouts and whoops of some other people out there playin on their own farm.

siiiiiiiigh, I do miss it. Michigan winters were lonnnnngggg! and grey! but those full moon clear snowy nights, or those beautiful days where the snow sits heavy on the branches of the trees, or etches everything in a beauitful contrast of black and white, made the winter fun--or at least bearable? LOL!

Moving here to Georgia, when my hubby hears of the snow everybody else is getting, he's all happy and says, "glad it's them and not us". And my 9 yr old Ben and I look at each other and sigh sadly! (My hubby hated the shoveling, but darn! I HELPED!!! he didn't hafta do it all!). MY biggest hesitation for moving here was the "no winter" factor--but then I look at this house we never could have afforded up in MD and remember the townhouse we woulda been stuck in, I decide to accept it. I do hope we can at least make a trip to the mountains sometime in the winter so I can get my snow fix! I DO miss it.

From Vegan---

DMiller, maybe if I was in the country, in a 4 wheeler, I'd love the snow. But trying to navigate these narrow Milwaukee streets with snow packed on the sides to make them even narrower, in my little Saturn, and add to that people on their way to the malls, trying to finish their holiday shopping, not paying attention, well, its no fun for me.

Vegan -- yea, I hear that. I'm in the inner city too, but then again,

Duluth is so much smaller than Milwaukee, there's no comparision.

Duluth's city limits are 5 miles wide, and 30 miles long --

so the "country" is easily accessible from almost anywhere in town here.

I sympathize with those who have to deal with a multitude of snow,

and narrow city streets all at the same time. :(

from Likeaneagle---

Dmiller- your a dangerous man..taking off in snowstorms. :)

Likeaneagle -- I've been called dangerous before -- but not for taking off in snowstrorms. :)

Actually -- taking off to enjoy a late night ride in a snowstorm is quite safe,

since (most folks) do so with preparedness, and not *on a lark*.

from Psalmie ---

dmiller, sounds like fun!!!! I wanna go too!!!!! I used to take my 4WD Toyota out in the snow, too, before the roads were plowed. But I couldn't get out in the 10" snow--no way that vehicle could clear that snow!! LOL!--so I'd go to the empty store parking lots and do donuts!! LOL!!!!!

Ha!! I remember doing doughnuts in the mall parking lot back in Indiana!! I was probably all of 17 (or so),

and my brother and I would take out the car to have fun in the mall parking lot!!

Only problem was -- my Dad ALWAYS knew the ending mileqage of the car (when he got out of it),

and he ALWAYS knew how much gas was in it, and how much he had put in the last time he got gas.

So when my brother and I went and spun doughnuts after Dad went to bed --

we were immediately busted the next time Dad got in the car --

(usually the next morning), and saw the gas gauge!

Believe you me -- we BOTH heard about it, when he got home from work! :( :(

And yea -- there is something magical about being out late at night, unplowed roads,

feeling the snow beneath your tires, hearing the soft hum as you barrel through it all,

and watching the snow fly by the windows as you go through it with impunity!

Kit is right about snow being quiet, and being out in it is a truely peaceful time.

I know I said "8 to 12 inches is perfect" earlier, but I meant to say 8 or so inches.

Given the *drifting* we have on the roads up here, 8 inches becomes more quickly.

And sadly --- Minney-soda gets some snow, but not as much as the south shore of Lake Superior.

So when snow does come (in sufficient abundance), one has to be ready to get out and enjoy it.:)

Edited by dmiller