it was held in the pocconos

beautiful location etc

the down side

separate cabins for husbands and wives and children

this is family??

thank god i had a conversion van at the time

and let couples use it

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused:

Who converted who -- in that van???!!!???

:biglaugh:

Worked my tail off one summer at Gunnison while in residence during Family Camps. I can remember ironing sheets until all hours of the night. They were pretty fanatical about every aspect of those camps to ensure that the campers had a top notch experience. In some ways the level of detail that went into the various areas of those camps surpassed the ROA. I always hoped to be on the camper side someday to see how it felt but I checked out of the ministry before I ever went.

I have to honestly say that the Family Camps I went to on Shelter Island back in the 70's pretty much solidified me into TWI. It was one of the sweetest times I ever had. Up to that point, I still had one foot "in the world" and one foot in TWI. After those couple of weeks, I was 100% sold.

Unfortunately - it was probably all down hill from there. But my memories of that summer are still wonderful. And I don't think I'm sugar-coating them, either. It was the best of times...

Edited by Hope R.

yes, my daughters and another family packed up and flew to Denver and drove off in a rented mini van to Gunnison. It was a sweet time. Youth Caravan did thier trips together down the Gunnison, they had a special trip up to the top of a mountain in jeeps for morning prayer and hot cocoa, hillside sings with Dorothy, reading times in the Chalet.It was rest time for me since I had just got divorce.

We went to one when I was 12 or 13. I posted about it when MotherO2 asked about it earlier.

It was an alright time as I remember it. Although, looking back I wonder the same thing you do, Chef. Us kids stayed with kids our own age with a camp counselor in charge. My teenaged brother had the same. I believe my parents stayed together, although, we were in or just out of residence so perhaps they had special treatment, I don't know.

I didn't perticularly enjoy the morning "devotion with motion" thing. Any of you do this? It was like morning group calisthenics with the goofier of way songs. We had fellowship time, meals with family, little hikes, games, went down the river in a raft (the short version), and had a boat race with boats we made. He did spend time as a family but not what I would expect for a "family" camp.

well, one thing to consider is it's easier to divide and conquer. getting the kids off by themselves and couples separated means you can indoctrinate without much interference.

I'm not sure if the many 'advances' are the same technically as a 'family camp', but if not I'm not sure what the difference is.

'Devotion with Motion", "Divine design", 'Horizontal Hour" etc. and ALOT of sitting and listening to endless teachings.

My mother once told me that a group from her methodist church were sharing the same grounds with a group from the way on the same weekend. She said the thing that perplexed her church group the most was why the way bothered to use the beautiful setting , then never came outside to enjoy it.

That just about summed up every 'advance' I'd been to. I recall longingly looking out windows on gorgeous days up in the forest, while trapped in a stuffy room while one teaching after another lulled me to a kind of waking sleep.