GreaseSpot Cafe

Latter rain

James 5:7

Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain.

Does anyone know why there is a distinction made between former and latter rain? I always took rain to be rain, no matter when it comes.

But I have heard of Pentecost being the former rain, and a latter rain, yet to come, where the holy spirit will be poured out in a special way again. Not that I know how one comes to assign any of the rains being an outpouring of holy spirit.

Most modern Christian western beliefs will tell of this as a rain.

It takes a spiritual look to see spiritual things.

They cannot be diagnosed on a table with books and your own will.

The Lord himself will open the eyes of the blind and ears of the deaf.

It is not in man to but in the spirit that you will know.

And what woulkd be between these 'rains'?

Certainly one dare not try and figure it out? or should we?

Sure we can look up definitions and texts and history.

What does it mean NOW, would be most satisfying.

For who can cause it to rain on the just and the unjust.

Dirty Dozen,

Because ancient Israel was an agrarian society, the prosperity of the nation, was totally dependent on rain, of course.

In Israel, there are basically two seasons, winter and summer, although four are mention. It's essentially a sub-tropical climate, but that can vary because of the vast differences in altitude, depending on where you are in Israel. Winter is the rainy season, and the summer is dry and sunny. But there are two rainy seasons iduring the winter. The "former rain" happens in the Fall, the beginning of Winter, usually October and Novemeber. The "latter rain" usually occurred in March and April. The latter rains were eagerly anticipated, because they prepared the land for springtime planting and insured a plentiful harvest season in the Fall. If they didn't come, because of the dry summer, the Fall harvest was not going to be abundant.

The feasts of Israel are divided into Spring and Fall feasts. The Spring Feasts represented the First Coming of the Messiah, then you have the summer dry season, and the Fall feasts represent the Second Coming of the Messiah. The "latter rain" represents the promises of a fruitful Fall season.

This whole concept has been turned into a theological system, that is popular among the modern day "prophetic movement."

Hope this helps.

Edited by ex10

whayever that movement is i ain't part of it

nor heard of it

Well, apparently there is a 'Movement" out there. Is it relevant?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latter_Rain_Movement

I had not heard of the latter rain movement either, so I couldn't be a part of it. But I was curious as to what these rains were all about, both latter and former.

I like Ex10's info about the Jewish feasts. There may be some kind of symbolism going on here.

Jerry

Jerry,

The whole subject is a fascinating one to look into. All the feasts of the Israelites were about worship of the one True God, and his requirements for such. And they also were to teach about the coming Messiah, and how He would fulfill God's purposes for all of Mankind, not just Israel. Of course, there is alot of symbolism.

One of the salient points to me is, that God required his people to come to Him on His terms, not their own. He had very specific qualifications for worship. Today, when I look at the Feasts and what God required, I learn so much about who He is, and who His Redeemer is. Jesus Christ is the final sacrifice for sin. Holy cow, or lamb! That truth takes on so much more meaning, after knowing a tad bit about the worship, sacrifice, rules and rituals of the OT.

The former rain fell at Pentecost I would suggest, and the latter at the second coming or immediately prior thereto.
The season of spring when Pentecost is celebrated would seem to coincide with the latter rain, not the former.

If the latter rain prepared the soil for summer growing season, what did the former rain prepare for, the coming winter?

Jerry

If the later rain was a baptism that occured on Pentecost, wouldn't it be likely that there is a former rain coming as a baptism in the fall? Would this baptism be different from the latter rain baptism?

ex10, I guess living in a cold climate prevented me of realizing there are winter crops too in some areas. Two harvests in a year are foreign to me.

Jerry

All that is in the world and history is a figure of what happens personally.

Baptism is not a time line but an individual experience.

Rain is the Word, the Spirit at work within.

Like I said what would be between these rains.

The baptism of fire. As promised.

The baptism of fire would be a cleansing.But would it be before or after a harvest? Or a cleansing of the harvest?

Jerry

You say you know that the baptism of fire would be a cleansing.

And you want to know about the harvest?

Before or after ........ the fire?

I have no book on baptism for you.

Christ does though.

To know it, you must experience the vengeance of our God.

Unafraid and a heart that can die and be born in it's heat.

The cool water will lead carry and lift that which is the

manifestation of the sons of God.