GreaseSpot Cafe

Windows Vista seems to suck

Jim

Ok, I have no axe to grind with this one. We're a Windows shop and as Microsoft Partners, we get just about all Microsoft products for free. That said, I bit the bullet and today I installed Vista R2 on a machine to get a feel for it and to make sure our development environment would work under it. More than anything, the experience reminded me of the old Windows 95 days. Graphic and network cards without drivers, the display defaulting to 16 colors and 640x480, goofy menus and constant nagging. I tried running Microsoft's file and program mover utility and it crashed. Three times.

I actually like XP pro and I almost love Server 2005. But it will be awhile, if ever before I use Vista for production work. I'd be interested in anyone else's experiences.

I've only read and heard enought to convince me that the next PC I have to set up, will either get XP pro or linux. we're starting to test it at work so we can support our products on it and it will ony run on a few of our machines because the hardware requirements are so steep.

my general feeling is to stay away from it as long as possible and if you're interested in multimedia, get a mac.

I've had to get used to Mac OS X just recently because my PC with XP (Home Edition) is STILL in the shop...

I'm loving OS X - it boots up very quickly. I haven't had to install a single driver to get it to work with my digital camera, photo printer, and other items that I work with. There's about five different ways to do the same thing - like burn a DVD - so you can pick what you're most comfortable with. The Mac has a built in camera, which is nice for video chat - something I want to try out soon. It's easily switches from user to user - if Kristopher wants to use it, its very quick and simple to get it to his account, which I have set up with parental controls, etc. on it. The version of Office for Mac is smarter, in my opinion, than the PC version - there's windows for formatting you can move all over the place, and select what you want to format, whether it's a table or footers/headers, etc. It's just smart to use.

From what I've heard, Vista is a ripoff of OS X anyhow - I'll take OS X, thank you. Plus there's not a great need for all sorts of security software running in the background all the time and all the different drivers for this that and the other.

We'll probably always have a Mac and PC in the house, but I'm really preferring working with the Mac.

I've been recommending people stay away from it at least until after the first service pack. Let everyone else work out the problems with it first.

I don't expect to ever be upgrading my office to it. Not worth the expense and headache, especially with all the DRM in it (which someone figured out how to by-pass only yesterday). If it gets to the point that we can't buy a PC without it preloaded on it, we'll probably switch over to Linux or Mac (which I've already done on my PCs).

From what I've seen, the only "new" features in it, besides their version of "security", is a look-and-feel that attempts to mimic a Mac experience (which can also be done on Linux now). From what I've seen, they've managed to do it. But it's not worth paying for.

Been following the Slashdot comments on the Vista release.

This one pretty much sums it up:

Tried a demo in the Best Buy

Best Buy had a Vista demo station set up yesterday. They were using what looked like a brand-new demo machine, with Vista branding on it and everything.

When I tried to turn up the graphics settings, I got a warning saying that the highest setting would result in severely decreased performance. When I tried to open the Media Center application, it crashed.

I looked around in the Control Panels, Start Menu, and Documents folders, and tried out IE 7, and was amazed at what a disaster the interface was. The cheap eye candy looked tacky and ran slowly, the "Flip 3D" feature was next to useless and an obvious failed clone of Expose, and I still found old Windows 3.1-style dialog boxes and icons littered throughout the system.

More than anything else, the interface was confusing, overly busy, and disorganized. I'm sure a power user would find what they're looking for eventually, but I got a headache just thinking about my parents, secretary, and other casual users trying to puzzle it out.

Frankly, I was amazed at how horrible it was. It seems like an early Beta release, at best - and not a very promising one, at that.

I think I'll not go near it for a while... in this MS world I live in XP Pro seems to work just fine for me... was Vista a product of "keeping up with the Joneses"??? Seems like it which would explain all of the problems since they're just trying to copy/emulate rather than do something 'new and useful'...

Wordwolf,

I can burn DVD's but I have to use proprietary software. Also, the results are not completely satisfactory either. When I built my latest home computer, I bought and installed an LG DVD burner because it supported all the formats. Specifically, DVD-RAM. That's because my DVD-VCR recorder uses DVD-RAM and I wanted to be able to transfer, edit and re-burn those files. The software that came with the burner was Power Producer Gold. I also bought and have installed Nero Ultra which I mainly use for editing but it won't burn a DVD-RAM that will play downstairs in my DVD player. Power Producer Gold will do it but its quirky and I can't edit with it.

Hence my comment.

sudo

Vista would be a step backwards for you Sudo. Their DRM software would probably have the cops knocking on your door. :biglaugh:

Wordwolf,

I can burn DVD's but I have to use proprietary software. Also, the results are not completely satisfactory either. When I built my latest home computer, I bought and installed an LG DVD burner because it supported all the formats. Specifically, DVD-RAM. That's because my DVD-VCR recorder uses DVD-RAM and I wanted to be able to transfer, edit and re-burn those files. The software that came with the burner was Power Producer Gold. I also bought and have installed Nero Ultra which I mainly use for editing but it won't burn a DVD-RAM that will play downstairs in my DVD player. Power Producer Gold will do it but its quirky and I can't edit with it.

Hence my comment.

<center>sudo</center>

I've HEARD that the older version of Nero can bypass the copyright coding on DVDs... and I've HEARD there's some shareware out there that you might be able to find if you Google it that will also bypass the coding...

Chas,

I see I've been misunderstood by both you and Greasytech. The copyright issue isn't the problem. If I want to rip the VOB files from a copyrighted DVD I simply use a program called DVD Decrypter. But mostly I'm recording DVD's from the TV or from transferring my home VHS movies to DVD and there is no copyright issue.

Its a formatting and compatibility problem. Maybe Wordwolf has a bit of advice for me.

sudo

Chas,

I see I've been misunderstood by both you and Greasytech. The copyright issue isn't the problem. If I want to rip the VOB files from a copyrighted DVD I simply use a program called DVD Decrypter. But mostly I'm recording DVD's from the TV or from transferring my home VHS movies to DVD and there is no copyright issue.

Its a formatting and compatibility problem. Maybe Wordwolf has a bit of advice for me.

<center>sudo</center>

Nice of you to assume what you think I know nothing about - I don't have a car jack (I do) but since you think I don't... then... how can I loan it to you?

If you want to edit you need something like FinalCut Pro - which is Mac based.

You're welcome.

I had an opportunity to upgrade to Vista I like my Windows XP and after uploading many XP updates I am satisfied it meets my basic needs. I have no personal agenda against Vista it just seems to me another marketing ploy to generate income on a new product vs refining XP.

Hey Tech good to see, Tom Sushi Tech Chas Sudo

Edited by herbiejuan

Chas... maybe I'm missing it, but I don't see anywhere where Sudo assumed you knew nothing about it... besides, he doesn't have a mac, so how can you help him?

(not trying to stir up anything, I just don't understand the hostility that I perceived in your post...)

Here's my take:

"I'll wait to see if WordWolf has any info" = you don't know what you're talking about - I'll wait for someone who does.

I know Sudo doesn't have a Mac, but I am telling you what works.... I don't have a PC answer for that - wish I did. I got a PC with all the bells and whistles - but its in the shop all the time~! So, that's no good, eh? I believe Sony makes some software that might work - I know they do a bit for editing, but I've heard some bad things about it. I've heard lots of good stuff about FinalCut - wish I had a copy...

Sorry, but I perceived Sudo's post as being a little miffed that GreasyTech and I didn't quite answer his question - maybe we all need to go out for a beer or something...

If you're talking about Sony Vegas, don't waste your time and money. The copy I bought, and I admit, it was a long time ago would lock up frequently and loose my work and the DVD authoring stuff wouldn't work right.

BTW, I'm through with Sony forever. Too many problems and nothing to justify the name branding. Not to mention the audio CD's with built-in rootkits.

No - Handycam comes with some software but it's nothing to crow about... of course, you can UPGRADE it for $$$$$$$$ - that's big money. If you have to have a PC with a Firewire port to use it. I tried it out on mine and it was very cumbersome to use. I wasn't about to shell out money for it beyond what was supplied with the Handycam. (I do videography for the school boards in my town and some other town meetings, etc.)