GreaseSpot Cafe

the friends thing

excathedra

She on the other hand is an alcoholic, and I am there for her. I drive her home when she is too drunk to drive herself. Help her through her suicide episodes, and try and give her moral support as her neurochemistry is such that she is always depressed (side effect of the drinking.)

this brought a tear to my eye. I know for a fact that twi would have required you toss her aside, no matter the depth of heart-to-heart sisterhood. but this speaks volumes, to love a person when they are going through hard times and pick up the slack for them a bit. her alcoholism might kill her, but that doesn't mean she has no value as a person, or that you should stop loving her.

this is a true love story to me, the kind that real friends have.

I don't really have friends. no one has been by my side through thick and thin. I think I'd like to have a few people like that.

Would that be a "deep fried friend" potato?

I began selecting Friends in my GS profile. You just click on a name and select "ADD" and they're you're friend! Immediately! I think - there was some approval process.

There have been some inquiries that came back as to what that meant. Well okay, only two. One, alright. One. And another that was more like mild acceptance, sort of a "well if you insist". With all the cool people posting here it seemed like an ideal opportunity.

I'm not sure what it meant. From a GS standpoint, is anyone not a friend? I found it interesting that no one refused. No one responded, "Uh, no. Not really".

Plus, I don't know if there's anything that comes with it, any special offers, coupons, free stuff. I don't have much free stuff to offer, but if I do, guaranteed - friends get it first.

But hey, it can't hurt to be in line, y'know? Beat the rush, early's fine, that's my motto.

I figured I'd select every registered user, by the summer, if the system would allow it. But then that would be the same as not selecting anyone, in a way. I could save a lot of time that could be better spent with friends, and just put a note on the profile somewhere that says "If you're reading this you're my friend. Now beat it!"

Course, that might seem indescriminate, possibly diluting the meaning of "Friend", I'm not sure. Sort of like some people, they say "oh, I like Judy Ray Bob a lot!' and the response is "Oh, you like everybody".

Maybe we should be more picky. But that seems unfriendly in a way. "I'd like to be your friend, but I can only handle about 5 at a time, tops. I'm kinda maxed out - but I could put you down as a first-alternative, how would that be? Or if you're a low-need friend, I could put you in for weekdays, Tuesday and Wednesday's, but no lunches, 'kaaay?"

This whole friend business is difficult, much more that it seems on the surface. I'm definitely glad this is out in the open, being discussed amongst friends.

Or ... is it....? :wave: :lol: <_< :rolleyes::biglaugh:

Edited by socks

yes socks .. the friends thing is strange ... I have a few, but only because I felt obligated .. I really don't like any of them. I'd like you to be my friend, but only because I'd like to tell people "yeah, socks is my friend" but I really don't like you either. So it is an interesting internet concept.

I have no friends when it comes to the word ... so I think all you with friends have probably sold out to beelzebub.

But really .. and I really mean really this time ... it is kinda divisional ... and there are all kinds of stats to promote your friends and have them promote you. So I'm saying, you might be my friend if you aren't listed as my friend ... the people listed as my friends are just there to make me feel like I have some friends. I really think they are as screwed up as I am.

i think you stole my line, well it's not "my" line but i said it first here, well on this thread i mean.....

--

cuz I got friends in low places where the whiskey drowns

and the beer chases my blues away, but I'll be okay

now I'm not big on social graces, think i'll slip on down to the oasis

oh I got friends

in low places

i think you stole my line, well it's not "my" line but i said it first here, well on this thread i mean.....

oh I got friends

in low places

No excie, I wrote it first, then it was in the senses realm where a devil spirit saw it and communicated it to you ... then by the time my post was finished, you had already been "inspired" to write yours.

I also invented the internet and am peeced off that Al Gore's devil spirits stole it and let him take all the credit. (I also invented post its and global warming)

Edited by rhino

this brought a tear to my eye. I know for a fact that twi would have required you toss her aside, no matter the depth of heart-to-heart sisterhood. but this speaks volumes, to love a person when they are going through hard times and pick up the slack for them a bit. her alcoholism might kill her, but that doesn't mean she has no value as a person, or that you should stop loving her.

this is a true love story to me, the kind that real friends have.

I don't really have friends. no one has been by my side through thick and thin. I think I'd like to have a few people like that.

Thanks Potato. Friends that close don't come along every day and we have built this friendship for 6 years now. Our daughters were friends first and we just become a support to each other as time went on.

i think it's great too free

i have a friend like that and i'm lucky enough to have been friends with her since i was 18 or 19 and i'm 50

love those life time friendships. I had one that I was friends with from 14 until we lost touch around 6 years ago. I don't know what happened to her and I miss her.

Excie, be careful..could you realy submit to this milking of cows?..hee

It's dangerous work. My grandpappy had me milk a cow once and Daisy took her tail and walloped me one, and knocked me off the stool...

I think you should take a class on,' How to be a farmer's wife and enjoy the fruit too :rolleyes: ,'.

• 2 weeks later...

Dot, if you can find a post that a potential friend made, you can click on their user name and one of the options is add as a friend. Or you can go to My Controls near the top of the page, click there, and on the left side, near the bottom, it will say manage friends. Click there, and add your friend.