GreaseSpot Cafe

Is the way still political?

My3Cents

I was involved in the 1970's and early 80's. They were big on being conservative politico's. Very pro-Regan and anti-Carter. And it used to come up in a lot of teachings. This was before the huge fundamentalist push into American politics we've seen recently.

So my question, for those still in or who know those still in - what are they saying now about politics. Do they say much about the war? Global warming? I'm sure they would go along with the anti-gay marriage thing, but back in the day they would not support the anti-abortion thing (abortions were pretty common in the way to deal with the consequences of all the sex).

Or do they just not mention it much?

Edited by My3Cents

<_< I'm not sure but since all the row they had a few years back with IRS, it appears they have gone real underground on politics. You don't even hear much at local level any more. Not only that, you hardly hear any of them, at STS or otherwise, even pray for our country or leadership anymore. Oh well!!! I guess things have REALLY changed of late.

Cents,

I was in and out the same times as you so I have no first-hand info to give you. OTOH, If I were Rosie, sitting on the huge bank account that's accumulated over the years and at the same time, fresh out of charismatic leadership, I'd do everything in my power to stay away from things that might attract the attention of the IRS. You can bet they keep their heads down and their lawyers on retainer to make sure they dot their i's and cross their t's.

a directive did come down twi's tree to vote for a certain canditate in 2000. that's the year I quit voting. some of my innie friends from a different area also got the directive, but they were stronger and voted for who they wanted to. at the time, I was required to report my every activity to leadership. it was easier to have no opinions at all than disagree with my then-husband and leaders. I didn't want any more special "meetings".