GreaseSpot Cafe

Soft Extremism

skyrider

In reading through a link entitled Mirrors, the author handles extreme positions by the cults and anti-cult movements stating:

* The good the group does is cancelled by turning it into an absolute.

* The good the group does is cancelled by turning it into demonization.

As presented, the cultic mindset is in green and the anti-cult mindset is in brown.

Depending on which twi [i, II, or III] you experienced....coupled with whatever local leadership you had, these "green" perspectives will widely vary. To label twi in the "cult-green" variety.......many of us can draw upon specific abuse incidents, wide-spread teachings, in-house corps teachings slandering "cop-outs," us-versus-them mentality, conspiracy theories, etc. And yet.......some, on the fringes, never experienced the pressure, the mindset, the extremes.

Conversely, to take an anti-cultic viewpoint in EVERYTHING related to twi is certainly overboard as well.....especially for some of us who witnessed the "softer side" in the early 70's. Clearly, it wasn't all absolutes....or none of us would have stayed so long.

Some have come in GS and stated that this site is an anti-cult site. Again, another extreme position........to which, I find preposterous. There isn't even a ONE-SIZE FITS ALL viewpoint found anywhere around here......if you take the time to look. :biglaugh:

In the end, every discussion and experience has to be tempered with specific parameters regarding one's viewpoint. Most of us are aware that blanket statements and viewpoints are unacceptable on this site.

Even today's twi....under rosalie's direction has loosened the reins abit, doncha think? And, it's apparent that many of twi's leadership are "sneaking around" and getting home mortgages.....in essence, giving twi's "no debt teachings" a one-finger salute.

Heck, it might have alot to do with our OUTSPOKEN testimonies on their doctrine and practice....and lots of exitees. :)

IMO, as a group...today's twi is SOFT EXTREMISM.

:asdf::asdf::asdf:

Edited by skyrider

In reading through a link entitled Mirrors, the author handles extreme positions by the cults and anti-cult movements stating:

* The good the group does is cancelled by turning it into an absolute.

* The good the group does is cancelled by turning it into demonization.

As presented, the cultic mindset is in green and the anti-cult mindset is in brown.

Depending on which twi [i, II, or III] you experienced....coupled with whatever local leadership you had, these "green" perspectives will widely vary. To label twi in the "cult-green" variety.......many of us can draw upon specific abuse incidents, wide-spread teachings, in-house corps teachings slandering "cop-outs," us-versus-them mentality, conspiracy theories, etc. And yet.......some, on the fringes, never experienced the pressure, the mindset, the extremes.

Conversely, to take an anti-cultic viewpoint in EVERYTHING related to twi is certainly overboard as well.....especially for some of us who witnessed the "softer side" in the early 70's. Clearly, it wasn't all absolutes....or none of us would have stayed so long.

Some have come in GS and stated that this site is an anti-cult site. Again, another extreme position........to which, I find preposterous. There isn't even a ONE-SIZE FITS ALL viewpoint found anywhere around here......if you take the time to look. :biglaugh:

In the end, every discussion and experience has to be tempered with specific parameters regarding one's viewpoint. Most of us are aware that blanket statements and viewpoints are unacceptable on this site.

Even today's twi....under rosalie's direction has loosened the reins abit, doncha think? And, it's apparent that many of twi's leadership are "sneaking around" and getting home mortgages.....in essence, giving twi's "no debt teachings" a one-finger salute.

Heck, it might have alot to do with our OUTSPOKEN testimonies on their doctrine and practice....and lots of exitees. :)

IMO, as a group...today's twi is SOFT EXTREMISM.

:asdf::asdf::asdf:

well said, it is evident that the experiences of people on this board represent an enormous range. When people find out I'm a Christian they are generally pretty surprised as i am not dogmatic-I know better. I also don't beleive in throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

well said, it is evident that the experiences of people on this board represent an enormous range. When people find out I'm a Christian they are generally pretty surprised as i am not dogmatic-I know better. I also don't beleive in throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

mdsnpp......so many times, when I consider pfal or my inresidence corps training, I remind myself of the truths regarding wheat and tares in Matt. 13:25-30:

.....verse 25 But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the

wheat, and went his way.

.....verse 29 But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up

also the wheat with them.

.....verse 30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I

will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in

bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

IMO, some of the simple truths of pfal.........................................................wheat.

Other stuff, i.e. absent christ, law of believing, tithe twisting, caste system......tares.

One can't claim extremism.....not the twiers, not the ex-twiers......for indeed, there are some cults out there that add new meaning to bizarre or brain-washing.

The truth is somewhere in the middle.......and so many of GS poster's experiences validate how multi-varied and complex this topic becomes.

Hence, "soft extremism."

:spy:

Edited by skyrider

• 2 weeks later...

Not a bad idea, sorting the wheat from the tares. Plenty of tares (or tears, pronounce it as you will) in the life of every ex TWIer. When we get rid of those, we start to see what (if anything) we really have. PFAL “worked” because it hijacked the work of men who understood the basis of what became PFAL.

Examine everything. Some of what was taught is true and accurate and “works”. That’s the wheat. Hold fast to that which is good. Incinerate the rest. Let what “works” fit individuals’ lives.

Everyone’s circumstances are different, not the one-size-fits-all of PFAL, just like one size loaf of bread suiting the needs of one individual or an extended family.

Is “make it your own” wheat or tares? Wheat, if meaning to take to heart. Tares, if it means there is no scope for individuality in application.

Or is just the answering of that “either/or” question “soft extremism”?