GreaseSpot Cafe

something like youtube

act2

Hey, everybody.

This YouTube thing has me thinking. If I have a video saved to my hard drive, can I upload it or whatever the proper term is to the music thread like you can YouTube????

Getting ready to go out to eat so if anybody responds, I may not see it till in the morning.

Thanks and Happy Easter.

Act2,

I think you would have to either 1) upload the video itself to Youtube directly, or 2) upload it to a server that is accessable to the web, and have Youtube point to that video.

Hope this helps.

Hey Garth, thanks. I was hoping there would be another way. But that is ok.

Happy Easter to you.

Time to shower and go help my mom prepare for about 30 or so of our family.

If you want to embed a video in a browser, you can do that. First, as Garth said, you have to upload your video to a web server. Then you need to embed the video.

The easiest way to embed a video is the HTML EMBED tag.

A very basic embed tag would look like this:

<EMBED SRC="http://www.myserver.myfile.xxx" WIDTH=xxx HEIGHT=xxx>

OK, let's break that down. I have a real cool video that I want to share with people at GS. The video is called jb3.mpg. It lives on my server which is called bluzecentral.net. So the code for that would be:

<EMBED SRC="http://www.bluzecentral.net/~rick/jb3.mpg">

There are many paramaters that you can add. Note that some are browser specific however, so avoid those if you want everything to work right with IE OR Netscape/Firefox.

Now there are other ways that you can do it. You can convert the file to a .flv file and stream it. This method looks VERY similar to the YouTube stuff but requires a little more work. I don't have time to go into all that right now, but if you're interested, I'll give you some examples.

Rick

Rick,

This is a little over my head, at least it is tonite.

I will look at it again tomorrow and see if I can think straight.

I dont think I have a web server that I know of.

I will post again after I get some sleep tonite.

• 2 weeks later...

svchost is a generic program loader for background services. The number you have running depends on what you have installed on your computer.

• 7 months later...
Embedding is fairly easy. When you find the video you want to embed, copy the "Embed" address (usually next to or under the video) and paste it in the "Reply" box.

(This will not work for "Fast Reply.") You have to have the complete address or it will not work.

Then you scroll to the bottom of the page and look for "Post Options", hit the drop down menu, and choose "HTML On - Raw Linebreak Mode", then "Add Reply"

• 3 weeks later...