GreaseSpot Cafe

Why do dogs ...

FullCircle

I have two questions, and one sub question to a question.

Why do dogs roll in the mud and poop? The subquestion is why do it when I am so busy that I have to drop everything and give the dog a bath? Which is not easy, getting an 85lb dog up and into a clawfoot bath tub which is high.

Why does my dog howl when the firewhistles go off? Oh, firewhistles? When there is a fire or emergency here in town, which is all volunteer firemen, they sound a siren to call them to the fire house. My dog howls at that siren. Why? Is it hurting her ears?

The rolling in yucky things - that's to mask their own scent. I don't know what kind of dog you have, but I would guess it's probably a hunting breed... (a couple of ways to stop them is to put them on a leash or pooper scoop the yard as soon as she goes.

The howling - it can be due to the frequency of the noise or it could be he thinks he's hearing another dog howling and he's responding. (Pack instincts.) Some are more vocal than others - again, usually hunting dogs are more likely to howl, but some of the hurding and toy dogs will howl, too.

Yep. What Chas said.

Hunting dogs roll to a) mask their scent for a better chance of sneaking up on their prey or b) to take on the scent of the thing they are hunting to better their chances of sneaking up on it. Then there's the "human" theory that everything they do that we don't like is strictly to aggravate us. :evilshades:

And, yes, the pitch of the whistle could hurt their ears or sound like some kind of communication that must be responded to.

I've learned to recognize in Vixen the "shoulder drop" maneuver just prior to the back roll and wiggle in something gross :o - I just don't usually get there in time to stop it. :P

Thank you for responding. She is a golden lab, Idon't know if she is from a breed that hunts but she sure is good with her nose and picking up scents, I've watched her trail the backyard with her nose to the ground tracing whatever had been there. For eight years now she has made a bee line out the backdoor to catch one of those squirrels that live in the tree out back but they have out run her to the safety of the tree every time although she has come close to getting them. She also does the old instinctual looking for food in the snow, a fixed habit patten that wolves do in the winter, put their noses in the snow and run it along looking for whatever rodent is under there. She does that and I call it her snow plow immitation.

Thank you for responding. She is a golden lab, Idon't know if she is from a breed that hunts but she sure is good with her nose and picking up scents, I've watched her trail the backyard with her nose to the ground tracing whatever had been there. For eight years now she has made a bee line out the backdoor to catch one of those squirrels that live in the tree out back but they have out run her to the safety of the tree every time although she has come close to getting them. She also does the old instinctual looking for food in the snow, a fixed habit patten that wolves do in the winter, put their noses in the snow and run it along looking for whatever rodent is under there. She does that and I call it her snow plow immitation.

I'm not sure, but I think labs are bird dogs.

Our beagle/mix comes home smelling something awful when he gets loose. Last time, I had to bath him twice and he still smelled awful. Our husky howels at the trains and sirens - I think it sounds cool!

Yes to the scent masking- all dogs do it instictively

as to high pitched noises, remember when we hear a sound it is only a fraction of the actual sound there are tones both higher and lower that we can't hear but many animals can-what those sounds convey to a dog I don't know-- but whatever they are they obviously- to the dogs way of thinking --require a response

Well, maybe this will help the smell:

A great smelling shampoo whose lovely smell can last 10 days. My vet did not believe me till I did 3 of his dogs in it and his wife LOVED it and LOVED how long it lasted. (Used it as a groomer)

Plum Silky (Groomer strength) pet shampoo

http://www.naturespecialties.com/Products/...lkyShampoo.html

This will help the smell -- the howling -- dunno

And MO, SO GREAT TO SEE YOU.

PlumSilky.gif

Labrador Retriever?

Yep. That there's a huntin' dog you have, m'am.

They're bred to hunt - especially to sit at a hunter's feet and then fetch the prey when it's down...

They can get real doggy smelling when they're wet - they have a lot of oil in their skin because they're bred to be water dogs - they usually love swimming!

Well, that oil is the smell your dog is trying to mask... Beagles and Basset Hounds will do the same things - yep, it's gross. But that's what they do...

I am going to look for that Plum Silky shampoo today and give her a good bath because the gentle hypoallergenic shampoo didn't do the trick yesterday. But you're right Belle about her stinking when she is wet, and since she is part golden retriver, her hair is longer and I have to make sure I wet her down to then skin, getting past all the water repellent hair (so it seems) to wash her otherwise she stinks to high heaven.

Hehe, after a bath, her hair is sticking up all over from me trying to get under it to wash it, she's a sight and my cat hates it when my dog gets a bath, I guess he doesn't recognize the smell or something and has attacked my poor big doggie because of it. Sounded like WW3 or someone was getting killed between the itty bitty cat attacking the big big dog, barking and howling and screaming, well the screaming was us, trying to get them to break it up before one of them got hurt.

Normally the cat adores my dog, and tries to snuggle to sleep with her and they play together, but not after a bath, then it is a whole different ball game, so we keep them separated until the doggie is completely dry.

Edited by FullCircle

I just used Head and Shoulders on my golden/chow mix. It's cheap and supposed to help repel fleas, too. I dunno if it's true, but Doobie never had any fleas and always smelled good.

Vixen very rarely gets a bath as it's not good for the coat of her breed and, well, she just really never stinks unless she does get into something really gross. :biglaugh: She's also only 15 pounds, so I just pick her up and hold her in the shower with me when I bathe her.