GreaseSpot Cafe

how might we play at ways of being angels...

a reason i ask outloud like this...

is because i have found how simply asking such things in such ways might be valuable in a number of ways

and altho one may obviously read and respond however they wish...

...i especially welcome those who can bring some greater sense of curiosity...kindness...precision to the manner in which we might comment and reflect and ask further around such things

...mostly cuz it seems more efficient and effective, is all

...and another wish of mine ... is that by playing at playing in such ways...that we become more free to find more degrees of meaning and hope in what i consider to be our modern shipwreck of a christian english language

:who_me:

and so also...having so asked ...i would also like to offer a small slice of my own perspective on the question as a primer, of sorts

...with my own voice...as an expression of my own ongoing synthesis of such things

as you may discover..i have been fiddlin with this type of question for quite some time now

...i kept it to a short vignette ...please feel free to read slow if you must...plz forgive where my tongue gets clumsy

if it helps, perhaps keep in mind i am just a mere visual artist and overall willful bufoon who has very likely missed something important...

for starters...for the purposes of this playful equation, i am using the word "Faith" in a way that is that is, again...a bit more curious, kind and precise.

...and in a way that is quite specifically different than how it is commonly explicitly and implicitly used...i hope you can forgive

i am using "Faith" to describe that edge of what we cant personally privately deny as the ground and basis of our sense of cause and meaning

no matter what we call it...we all have such a place without having chosen to have one...where something has been somehow proven to us and/or by us...sitting right up next to the part where we really dont know squat

we often mostly just wake up and find ourselves there one day, though we also reach and stretch from time to time

this sense of "Faith" is how we think things work, and what causes what, and why all this is happening to me/you/us etc...

it is the mostly invisible factor that determines the actual meaning of the words we use to describe things

one might even call it that inner map or model we each use to explain at first to ourselves about how goodness and truth and beauty actually occur

the shape of our "Faith" is made of the very substance of our souls, our visions, our hopes, our dreams, our intentions

and yes...it seems ever clearer to me that these are all actual things with an actual cosmic address made of actual quantifiable stuff

that said...it seems to me that we rather naturally unfold through an elegent bandwidth of "Faiths" in our mortal span

and not only as individual/s, but as human culture/s, and other ways

and our lives our typically "bedeviled" to the depth and degree we get stuck or stop too long at any given rung on this climb

for example, how entire waves of culture can and do and are stuck in the earliest stages of "Faith"

...stages that we naturally personally experience as infants and children

...and that we naturally experienced in early human history

a very basic way i have come to understand this very old ladder is as follows:

+ our faith is grounded in magic...

+ our faith is grounded in myth...

+ our faith is grounded in reason...

+ our faith is grounded in universal compassion...

+ our faith is grounded in nothing...

+ our faith is grounded in everything...

+ our faith is grounded in nonduality...

i believe this persective can help shed light on the conflicting and contradictory behaviours surrounding arts, languages and histories of our world's traditions and beliefs and schools of thought

perhaps especially as it pertains to the notion that every old line of religious history has generally been expressed and experienced across the entire spectrum of "Faith"

by applying such a simple "measuring rod" to Christianity, for starters...i will loosely describe how it might come through these kinds of discernable distinctions:

+ selfish christianity - based on such things as "the law of believing" as a way to basically "get the stuff i want and need"... the birth of the ego

+ fundamentalist christianity - based on exclusive community stories and values...where we get fixated on brotherhoods, fatherhoods and specific lineages and books

+ rational christianity - based on a sense of being a free agent in a system...where the context of our faith moves to conventional business and science and politics

+ pluralistic christianity - based on a much wider sense of charity and concern...where interfaith and inter-religious dialogue begins to make more sense

+ contemplative christianity - the monastics of history who actually formally practice the arts of cultivating the experience of God in the ground of silence

+ mystic and nondual christianity - where the entire spectrum is being valuable and valid at every stage of faith...and we see the value of BOTH ascending and descending along the spectrum, more capable of consciously creating "music" with it all

though ironically enough, its this hard flat monochromatic pluralism (bless its heart) that most typically and adamantly rejects associating any sense of measurable depth and degree to such things as "faith"

...and a lot can be said about that paradox these days

and tho i know i have breached the topic in various ways over the years,

i am ever longing to revisit refresh and see who may find value in such things,

and always longing to play at way of inviting that trinity of curiosity, kindness and precision to this topic.

space and grace

+ODD

Edited by sirguessalot

God first

Beloved Todd or sirguessalot

God loves you my dear friend

what a great statement (how might we play at ways of being angels..., ...by climbing up and down the ladders of Faith?)

What if I said we are faith or faith is the basic of what we are.

Faith is our true inner tones or tongues the very trump we play all day long to our God.

Our faith plays the fruit of the spirit as a great song of music but when we miss a note of love its like hitting the wrong note during a love song.

We begin to play for God many basic tones but we must try and try again until it sounds just right making it faith.

but faith can be the unbelieft and worry a very out of tune horn or etc

believing helps us tune our horn so when we play for our God the trump its like the angels in their place

were that all I know to add right now

thank you

with love and a holy kiss blowing your way Roy

Roy...i love how you kick off with things like..."What if I said..."

and i would have to say that you have a sense of faith that is free to play in whatever wide open field it finds, my friend

curious...you ever do any painting? or drawing?

using this thread as a sort of a notepad...heerza a little something i found that speaks of the mythic level faith...

In A SHORT HISTORY OF MYTH, Karen Armstrong has taken a number of her most cogent ideas developed in books of greater length and compressed them into a provocative overview. She sees myth as stories we tell ourselves in order to both deal with the world we find ourselves in and cope with questions we have about other possible forms of existence. As such, these stories are not factual (logos), but they are "true" (mythos), in that they serve a theraputic purpose. Armstrong believes that in order for a myth to do this, it is repeated as ritual and provides the participant with an ethical discipline. The "truth" is in the positive experience of the ritual participant, not in the original event, in and of itself.

also...i find it helpful how one can certainly identify life as it looks between the rungs of faith development:

- for example:

...how the mythic degree of faith seems basically what happens when those with a magic degree of faith gather in numbers and find a common language to describe their faith in magic. Such as when someone leaves survival-of-the-fittest gangland and are embraced by their first supportive family atmosphere, or when a bunch of 60s misfits and idealists where intitially drawn to TWi culture via promises of fire engine red drapes....and in our excitement, we often confuse our move from one rung to another for the whole trip up the ladder.

...or how a mythic faith may be reaching for reason, but in having more of a footing in myth than reason, basically drags the language of reason and fragments of reason down to the level of myth...such as the way VPW and ilk are often so hellbent on claiming that the PFAL myths are accurate, precise, scientific...yada yada. There seems a sense of being in a struggle between mere myth and mere reason.

...just sayin

Edited by sirguessalot

well..here is an interesting and enjoyable chapter from John Armstrong's "God versus the Bible" that i think represents a near-perfect example of someone poised to reach from a rational rung (in this case, deist) to a pluralist rung (which is typically more messianic)

a snip...

He dreams that one day all of humanity will be freed from the shackles of faith.

but the common cold of this view...such as at seems with this author...is how they severely reduce their argument in order to counter an even more severely reduced position

kinda like a 3rd grader who will only argue with 2nd graders...and perhaps even doubts that 4th graders exist at all

the possibilites seem mostly just flattened into monolithic and dualist assumptions

and i think part of were the seeming passion to save-the-world-from-fundies/save-fundies-from-the-world comes in...

...is due to how, having faith in reason, one is already raring to make a leap toward a more wide open hearted degree of pluralist "Faith"

...if the rational thinker doesnt just fall back into a new myth that tries to apply the language-set of reason

(kinda like what VP seemed to do quite spastically, and what John Armstrong may even eventually end up doing)

and worth mentioning again, is how..on the whole...every leap of faith seems much better off by including that vital purpose of all previous rungs

...and to try to cut off the vital lessons and reasons for those previous rungs is not rational, does not work, and seems mostly just counterproductive and all around unhelpful

as we climb up and down any ladder...we would do well to make sure that we do not try to chop out the lower rungs

Edited by sirguessalot

+odd, I want to reply to this, but it will take more time to compose than I have right now. :) I just want to let you know it IS being read and appreciated. I just can't do a reply justice at the moment.

God first

Beloved Todd or sirguessalot and others

God loves you my dear friend

I was going to say I used to draw for fun to asnswer your question - "you ever do any painting? or drawing?"

But after getting peaceful and my spirit moving from a dead stop to the speed if light or even faster to a dead stop to the speed if light I now see that I draw and paint with my heart, mind, and most of all with my spirit

Until we trow reasons out the door we have not begin

God is a God you can not see - What reasons is in that?

God is a God you can not hear - What reasons is in that?

God is a God you can not smell - What reasons is in that?

God is a God you can not touch - What reasons is in that?

God is a God you can not tasete - What reasons is in that?

God is a God you can not feel - What reasons is in that?

Yes some will say I hear God but we only hear Christ who speakes for or that which is of God

everything around is playing the music of truth but only without reasons can we hear

All things are of God but nothing but God is God

You reach to travel a life only to die so you can be born like a butterfly

That which I was I will be again but how some may asked how

That way I was inside my mother's womb I have reach inside God The way i was born of my mother I will be born of God

or

Were I am going I done been

or

I just came from were I am going

I go in a dark room and see black and say I am in the dark but I lie because for me to see the color black there must be some light there too

God is that light that you do not see in the dark when you see no color at all everything just a big blank area without even outline of what reason says is there

Jesus Christ lives inbetween the spaces of light of God that you see not

but once you give up reasons you know they are there (God and Christ) smiling with light of love

I will end now

thank you

with love and a holy kiss blowing your way Roy

John Bevere made a most startling comment in a teaching I was watching from his website.

He pointed out that we will be like Jesus when we get to heaven, and that there is an ongoing process of becoming like Jesus now.

The Lord is working to make us like Him, and when there is a distinction between Jesus and us, the problem is always with us.

Sometimes the chiseling process is painful to us, but the end product will be great!

In hope,

I dunno, I think more in terms of the lessons we're here to learn and how, if we're all part of the whole (the body of Christ, the universe... whatever you want to call it), then there aren't really levels, so to speak, because that would indicate that some of us are more important, more "evolved" or better than others.

I think more in terms of paths and which path, life lessons, challenges each of us encounter as being individual to each one of us and it's impossible to know the strength, knowledge, depth and insight required to survive being who someone is in their particular season of life.

a very basic way i have come to understand this very old ladder is as follows:

+ our faith is grounded in magic...

+ our faith is grounded in myth...

+ our faith is grounded in reason...

+ our faith is grounded in universal compassion...

+ our faith is grounded in nothing...

+ our faith is grounded in everything...

+ our faith is grounded in nonduality...

Hmmm..... could those be spirals off of the center, whatever that center may be? Or, twisting paths that parallel each other and sometimes, we follow a trail that leads from one path to another? OR, different stepping stones along the same, wide path and, we stand on certain stepping stones depending on the situation or topic?

Maybe I use reason to explain some things in life, but what others would call magic or myth for other life questions. Maybe I see the benefit and merits of a universal compassion, but don't necessarily see it as realistic or obtainable in my lifetime.

I don't think we're all one thing at all times. Like even you said, you're still learning, growing and ever-changing some of your beliefs. Aren't most of us? *smile* And, don't those who think or believe different serve a purpose and provide something beneficial to this "one body"? Even if it's to observe them and think, "Thank God I don't think, talk or act like that anymore!" :D

thanks for taking the time to respond like you guys have

i am enjoying reflecting on them

and Belle...i think you have really pointed out some of the most obviously important questions and concerns (and wonderful wonderings) that arise around such an approach to modelling faith development

if its ok with you...i would like to try to respond in detail from my perspective sometime very soon.

Todd

ok...a few thoughts to unpack it more...

if we are a conglomeration of developing lines

and our faith is only one of these lines

...our faith is not the sum of us

one's stage of faith does not define them as a whole human being

but each line does develop through it own range of degrees

and can be seen for what they are

each sprout in this bush of sprouting lines is growing along a path of many degrees

and so this whole tree has a path of all the paths that can also have a certain overall kind and style

and our path is our path is our path...we each have no other

the textures and contours and possible cartographies of all that we are becoming

is knowable and measurable in all its many varying lines and degrees

from many different perspectives

simply because it exists

and yeah...our magic sense of self, being our firstborn sense of self

most naturally becomes our deepest widest grandest canyon of self as we age

although ...if a child is kept from having faith in magic

he may not understand the value of wishful thinking as an adult

and so his rational thought is not as effective or useful

or...if one stays grounded in their faith in magic long past childhood

they may still find themselves relying primarily on things like "the law of believing" or "The Secret"

even if they are in charge of governments and armies

when we move beyond magic...we can still exercise our sense of wishful thinking (or not)

and when we move beyond myth...we can still exercise our sense of friendliness (or not)...and wishful thinking (or not)

and when we move beyond reason...we can still exercise our sense of critical thinking (or not) ...and friendliness (or not) ...and wishful thinking (or not)

when we move beyond compassion...we can still exercise our sense of equality (or not) ...and critical thinking (or not) ...and friendliness (or not) ...and wishful thinking (or not)

what we want to try to help heal in our selves and each other

is find out how we may have moved beyond previous stages of faith WITHOUT carrying those earlier senses of faith forward

again...any words i choose to even begin to describe such things is but a splash and a smear of a representation of possibilities

Edited by sirguessalot

taking the blinders off one by one...

seems as one folds a few fold with it

and how is it that they can be seen

being blinders, darkness, can't see around em

perhaps the curiosity of what's not being seen

or an inner drive that gets tapped into

to wrestle that angel till it's one with you

till there isn't anything to fight

finding it quite enjoyable

though it was a bit bloody

yet the tender mercies of angels ministering

there is no other way to go for the hunger

hungry yet fed till satisfied

to hunger again to see God face to face

• 5 weeks later...

a very short list of related wikipedia articles for those interested

Maslow's hierarchy of needs

Stages of faith development

Spiral Dynamics

Structures of Consciousness

also, a notion that helps me stay grounded...is that these are merely maps..

and there are plenty of maps throughout human history to compare

and while it is important to notice where the maps overlap...

its as important to notice where they do not

and while some maps cover collective waves of development

others specialize in individual waves

and while some specialize in behavior

some specialize in interior perspectives

and while all maps often seem somehow abused by the confused

we cant really blame a map for that

as always...i suggest a balanced blend of precision, compassion and curiosity when navigating

...or "power, love and a sound mind"...to speak the same kinda thing in "another tongue"

;)

Edited by sirguessalot

i cant help but want to add that there a number of misunderstandings of these kind of notions

- we dont want to be measured in any way. and so we wholesale reject all notions of developmental stages..especially in the contexts of spirituality or psychology.

- we assume that any such measurement is the measurement of the whole person, rather than measurement of aspects. so we reject it.

- we assume that any such measurement is the same ole hierarchical BS of our cultic past, or darker shades of religous history. so we reject it.

- we assume that interior things cannot possibly be measured, observed, studied, practiced. so we reject it.

- we assume that the bible has no such scales of measurement. so we reject it

- we assume that since other religious texts have other such ways of measuring, it cant be safe. so we reject it.

- we agree that there are such stages...but we reject all maps and models except our very favorite one

- we agree that there is measurement...though we really dont like it if we are not at the very top...or very close to the top of the spectrum. so we reject it.

- we dont realize what an amazing blessing it is to find one's self (or society) at some middle point (such as in a democracy)...so we reject it.

- we agree that we are on the second step of development...but only if the ladder has 2 steps. so we accept the very short ladder

- we agree that we are on the third step of development...but only if the ladder has 3 steps. so we accept a slightly longer ruler

- in some ways...the move from one stage to another is too much like dying for us to bear...which we cannot do by ourselves..so we reject it.

- other stuff

but i cant help but want to say that if we dont start looking at these distinctions with compassion ... we are only gonna get deeper and deeper into our inhumanity towards each other

mostly because we will remain confused as to why people see reality so radically different.

and so will act and react from a state of some degree of confusion.

which is not good for us.

it seems to seem.

at least

Edited by sirguessalot

yeah growing is a changing experience

painful, joyful, expectations, always reaching

till one thinks they have stopped

yet inwardly it's still happening and can be measured

should we look deep enough

it is our natural being, being minded towards what is going on inside

as well as how the view of the outside is seen

hmm...yeah

something else

when we move to a new stage of development (a vertical step)

we must stop at each stage and find a way to translate it before we move on (a horizontal rest)

when we dont stop...we may move anyway, but we leave a shadow on that step (i.e....we have an "evil spirit")

one of the easiest examples i can think of

is when children are forced to move through the first stage without translating it

such as in occasions of child abuse

that child then has a "shadow" in their earlier stages of development

which seems like an outside entity

simply because it was never owned and made into a part of one's self

that is when descending agape-type spirituality is important

because we are no longer trying to get someone to evolve to some higher heaven

but rather going back with them into the hell of their lower woundedness

and unravelling the tangles by shedding light on where there was darkness

investigating the past shadows that are present

can be enlightening and difficult but worth the trouble

to quit fighting that succer, turn into the fire and let it burn

won't loose nothing you really want anyway

you know i wonder, and just as a thought

we tell our kids that they can be whatever they want to be

or is it let yourself be whatever you are

we tell them if you set your mind to it it can be done

do we really believe it ourselves?

can we actually be the person we want to be

sure it's bumpy at first, so is elementary school

junior and high-even tougher...

college takes more thinking and will

graduating and moving with the right winds is wisdom

how fast can the mind travel through these stages

not only up, but up and down after graduating

cause you will need em all at your command

one way or many ways, even combining for different looks and feels

used the schools to illustrate the mind....now at this time

this is what we have now and i do believe there is more

more places to travel in the free unlimited-

you can be whatever you want to be...honestly...

but learn to duck and move and catch the winds of thoughts blowing inside

Edited by cman

though peace is within

it happens in strange ways

to lean on the breast of Christ through it all

yeah Christ the Spirit is there or no one would be here

whether it's not yet broken the surface of the earth or not

the mind and thoughts within one person-

34Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

35For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

36And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

37He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

38And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

39He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

All these related thoughts making war and peace when it's time to sheath the sword.......

for a while......

Without the words-faith-believing-hope-love.....it's still happening.

Recognized or not, with those concepts comes the meaningS....

Need not that any man teach it it just comes. And goes...

till we see patterns, rhythms, colors, sounds......angels ascending and descending

just like love

(previous post) reminds me of something important ive come to understand from various schools of thought

...something that is akin to VPWs difference between one's "state" and one's "standing"

except VPW presented a stripped-down monolithic flat version where there are only 2 (or so) basic "states"

...and 2 (or so) basic "standings"

- "state" being a temporary place of being one can move in and out of...as in "a state of fellowship"

- "standing" being a more permanent place of being that cannot change...as in one's "standing" as a son

only i would have to expand it quite a bit more to include an entire spectrum of both "states" and "standings"

simply put...there is a sense of self-awareness in us that moves from "rung-to-rung" in way that is utterly linear and vertical

...where we cannot skip a step, nor can we move in reverse ... we now find our "standing" on a new step

...in other words...once a seal is broken, it is broken...we move from faith to faith, as it were

not only would i say that our permanent sense of self-awareness moves from body to soul to spirit in a manner that can be described as our "standing"

...but that there are even many much finer distinctions between each of those 3 steps that can be discerned and appreciated as a spectrum

but...and...too...

all of those steps can also be experienced as less permanent "states" of self-awareness

in fact, we pretty much move through the entire spectrum of "states" every single day of our life ... from body to soul to spirit

...including those same kinds of finer spectrums of distinctions between each of those 3 states

an example...we can be "standing" at a place of mythic awareness

(where we translate our experience of reality through the lense of some specific story-language...such as PFAL)

but one day we enter a much higher state of spiritual experience

we can only explain this higher "state" from where we "stand"

...we simply cannot explain the "state" from a place we have never "stood"

thus, one may experience a profound series of dreams, visions, intuitions, archetypes, etc...

only to describe it as an experience of demons, angels, and other mythic otherwordly characters

i think its important to note that this is healthy for an 8 year old

not for the president of a modern global military industrial complex

:blink:

and too..i think its important to note

that "higher" (thinner) states of awareness are not hard to come by

we flit about in and out of them all ... all the time

most often without even knowing it as such

one can reach highest kinds of states of awarenes in a wide variety of ways..such as...

- being tortured and hanging on a cross

- meditation, contemplation, fasting

- pregancy, illness, injury, dying

- sex, drugs, rock n roll

- any radically new environment or experience

- etc...

Edited by sirguessalot

hmm

lemme try it like this

(but i'll reduce down to the basic 3 again)

3 ways to describe the basic range of "states" are

- waking, dreaming and sleeping

- gross, subtle and causal

- body, soul and spirit

when we are awake...we are in a state of experiencing our gross body

when we are dreaming...we are in a state of experiencing subtler soul

when we are sleeping...we are in a state of experiencing causal spirit

another way of describing "state" might be "altitude"

but ... our "standing" can be understood as more of an architectual development...or the actual object of our self awareness

...where, as we add floors to our inner temple of understanding, we are more conscious of "states" at higher altitudes

like saying the more floors we add to our temple...the easier it is to look out the windows at higher altitudes

otherwise...we have to be caught up to those higher "states" by other means

such as i mentioned before...

various addictions have a lot to do with people wanting to access higher states without having to permanently change

some spiritual practice can be described as getting out on the roof and sketching out a new addition

...or...reaching up from one's "standing" to taste and touch higher "states" in order to prepare to transform that "state" into "standing"

...to change a mere altitude (a place that is in mid air) into a stable shelf on which to rest upon til ready to build again

meditation and contemplation does this for us

to practice being in higher "states: in order to get a feel for how to build something permanent there

make sense?

Edited by sirguessalot

we see and feel and experience this sense little by little

like kind of dipping the toes in and out

test the waters

reach for that next rung, grab it and hold it a bit

catch your breath and do it again

another awareness reveals an awareness of the previous one that wasn't there before

giving a helping little push of faith to faith

not that the previous was wrong or bad, just different

but ... our "standing" can be understood as more of an architectual development...or the actual object of our self awareness

...where, as we add floors to our inner temple of understanding, we are more conscious of "states" at higher altitudes

like saying the more floors we add to our temple...the easier it is to look out the windows at higher altitudes

this would be the view of self from self

Edited by cman

diggin it, man

and must say i love the way we (and some others) come to dance like this oh so hypertextually over the years

deeply ... yet also lightly

and too...funny part is... how it doesnt seem to fit as a "doctrinal" discussion

more like rambling poets who struggle to find words to describe things that are beyond description

foolish fun, it seems...as always

:B)