GreaseSpot Cafe

Barn Living

likeaneagle

I am not an enginerr, hmm I even spelled it wrong, engineer, but I know that the formula is much more complicated than just "how many inches". No two snows contain the same amount of water, and therefore they do not have the same weight. I would guess the 1ft estimate above is reasonable for average snows, but it is meaningless when determining a building's design load requirements. Average snow is not what makes a building collapse. 100 year snows might. Design load requirements are determined by individual building departments in cities and counties, according to formulas that take into account many factors including temperature, altitude, water content of local snows, repetitive snow and rain histories, historical data and more.

AGAIN, contact the building officials in the location you propose to build the thing.

I am sure the people whoprovide the building are quite aware of how to do this, as they will probably be required to provide "wet stamped" engineering documents to the building inspectors to prove it meets local codes. This takes the building department off the hook, and puts the onus on the man or woman who engineered it and stamped the documents should there be a failure.

In other words, don't fret over it until you know where you will build, and then make the supplier do the needed modifications. Probably these are not a major cost issue, honestly.

Edited by HAPe4me

Home Depot had a Midnight Madness sale and if you showed up in your jamas you were able to get 50 percent off on any item...

well I bought a Table Miter saw for former husband for Fathers Day...We did this very wall around our corner fireplace..its was so warm and inviting..very easy to do. :wink2:

• 4 weeks later...