GreaseSpot Cafe

American Idol

ChasUFarley

Well now, I am flabbergasted. Melinda was my clear choice fomr the beginning of the 12 finalists. I thought it would come down to the two women, Jordin and Melinda. But, that boy must have found a place in the hearts of alot of young women out there. He IS good, but I thought Melinda far outclassed him. But, as Simon said, we'll no doubt hear from her again. She is just too damned good, and she has had excellent PR going on for months. And so now, I think Jordin will get it.

Ok my 2 cents here.......p.s. by the way Taylor hicks is doing just fine..........selling out of all his concerts and getting great reviews............he was the best performer last year by far.........its more that a singing contest......and Melinda was just kinda ....same old,same old........nothing really interesting about her stage presence or lack of........Taylor had it (the x factor )........Blake has it (the x factor again).......and Jordan could have it.......she just needs to move a little more........sorry Melinda did not have it......even tho she has a wonderfully voice.......but I liked KiKi 's better myself........it just takes a lot of special talent and not just vocals to win the people over........Taylor was hot......with the moves,voice and looks.........Looks is a big key and that alway wins america over but looks will only carry you so far........anyhow they are all pretty good but......I was not surprise at this stage.

Ok here's my one cent.

Blake is fresh, Jordan is a 17 year old amazing, Melinda was a worn out Gospel Singer.

I LOL when she tried to be hip. Like me trying to dance to hip hop.

Anyway both Blake and Jordan tried out in Seattle the place Simon said had the worst talent he ever saw in a town.

Space Needle this Simon top two,

Only thing I regret is Sangiha (SP) was from Seattle too.

They're all good IMO. The reality of the reality show is that each week someone's going to be "last", and have less votes than the others. The biggest drag of that is that I don't get to hear them anymore when they go off. Like Phil, great voice, would have loved to see him sing some more.

Melinda's got the voice, range and tone IMO to make it anywhere. Yeah, she's just another Gladys/Aretha/Whitney in the making, which is fine IMO as they are 3 of the finest singers and performers in recorded history. If Melinda ends up #11 or something in any list those women are in, she'll be doing fine.

But they're all great and that's what I like about AI - it gets these people out of the woodwork and on TV and it's fun. They care, they're trying, they're doin' it, and one by one they'll drop off. "There can be only One" in the end of the show, but they all get their chance to shine if they're good.

One thing I like about Blake is that he is fresh and brings a lot of music to the show that doesn't always get time. He's a pop singer, with a different flare.

Best thing about last night for me was seeing Elliot back, dental work gleaming and singing. His new CD is getting good reviews and for good reason. He was one of the best things about last season IMO. He's got chops, tone and heart.

Edited by socks

Yup, Elliott is great and I would buy his CD when I see it. My wife thought he was great, too. He has an amzing life story...the guy is diabetic, deaf in one ear, and had a lot of health problems growing up. Apparently he used his one good ear to listen to music, then he liked to sing along with it, then started singing by himself entertaining his parents as a young boy. He kept going, took odd jobs, then tried out for American Idol.

He obviously appeared grateful for being on Idol. Can't help but like the guy.

It was a shock, that Blake beat out Melinda in votes. I had suspected Jordin was beating her all along. Both my wife and I fully expected two women finalists. Blake apparently has a following...probably a younger crowd.

I do now expect Jordin will win. But the look on both Blake's face and Jordin's face when Ryan announced Melinda was off...blown away was the description. Blake's nervous twitch and exaggerated sense of humor, trying to toughen himself up for the anticipated blow of his own expected departure...well...his mouth wide open when he heard. He just was not expecting to beat out Melinda at all.

I will say this...Melinda was too "Tina Turner" like and put too much R&B into almost every song. This style sounds great to a lot of people, but does not cross a diversified culture like the United States. Jordin on the other hand appears to be able to sing anything to anybody. She used some R&B but not much. Even Reuben knew when to soften that style in his songs and wasn't screaming them out all the time, instead using a softer tone. That enabled him to beat out Clay. Clay lost because he was perceived by many people to be a "pixie" or a wimpy looking male, and many hated that about him, despite his obvious talent. I thought Clay was far better than Reuben. But America thought otherwise.

If Blake wins, I, no, can't see that. I thought the finale would be much more interesting with a showdown between Melinda and Jordin.

Anyway they can do a recount on the total...did Blake really beat out Melinda? Is there a "hanging chad" electronic recount?!!!

Eagle

Edited by Eagle

Does anyone here think Randy Jackson is the best judge of the three? I certainly do. Paula is too reserved in criticism while Simon goes over the top and in my opinion, literally makes things up to criticize people so he can keep a "mean guy" rep about him. Problem is his criticism, even as stupid as I think it is at times, unjustly hits good talent.

Randy just tells it like it is to any contestant. He seems to be the most honest judge there and is the only judge I think I can count on for a good critique.

Simon thought Carrie Underwood was bad...she is leading the pack in grammys...Simon thought Clay was bad and supported Reuben...Clay Aiken has outsold Reuben Studdard 2 to 1.

Simon thought Seattle was bad. The two finalists are from Seattle.

There is more...but let's just say...I know people like to see him on Idol, but I would prefer a more honest judge and someone else that is more Randy Jackson-like. To me, IMHO, he tells it like it is...for real. And he is a better judge of winners.

Yup, Elliott is great and I would buy his CD when I see it. My wife thought he was great, too. He has an amzing life story

Yeah, he's got the "legs" alright. I think he'll do well down the line.

Reading up on him last year there were so many points about his life - I read a well to do dentist in L.A. offered him the dental work free of charge, which was of course an extravagant gesture to the tune of about 50K bucks. But I could appreciate it, reading how he described growing up adjusting his smile and mouth to not show his teeth. Anyone who's had that kind of problem can appreciate what that means. He had a lot going against him, and he's responded well to the opportunity. He isn't cool, nicer than he is polished. But he's good and he means it, and that counts for a lot. There's a lotta heart in a guy who'll ride in a parade done in his honor, and share it all with his Mom at his side in tears. I think people have wanted to give him his due because he's so blown away that anything like it would ever happen.

If Jordin wins - she's 17, and a senior in high school! Have your hankie handy - and Kleenex!

Edited by socks

Blake was good tonight, but Jordin was spectacular as usual. Look for Jordin to take American Idol tomorrow. Unless Blake does a major upset like he did Melinda.

Winner Prediction: Jordin Sparks

Eagle - I agree with you 100% although I don't like how it's turned out. That should be Melinda in that top slot.

Socks - I can relate with what Elliott went thru... I used to speak with my hands near my face for fear someone would LOOK at my teeth - they were so crooked - and I always smiled with my lips closed.... and had a couple of years of adult orthodontics to correct it (braces - big, ugly, metal mouth - Ugly Betty braces). It was worth every penny! I cried the day the braces came off and I went home and hubby said, "You've got a beautiful smile! Look at you!" because no one had ever said that to me before - ever!

good god there's something wrong with me

i'm crying because i feel like i know these people

i really loved this show tonight and all these sweet people / talents

i wonder who is gonna win

you know.... seeing gladys knight and tony b. and bette midler and the rest

oh man

I had a deadline to hit for a client tonight and didn't get to watch...

Hubby was crowing about seeing Joe Perry playing - I was suprised he was there at it - but man... I wish I'd seen it!

I'm sure it will be on YouTube or something in a few days...

Jordin was a sure winner - but not my favorite. It will be interesting to see where they're at a few years from now...

Jordin wins!

Expected. What a talent!

You know, Sanjaya wasn't half bad with Joe Perry from Aerosmith. I wonder with a little more training, Sanjaya could become something. I never thought he was the worst...just the weirdest.