GreaseSpot Cafe

Looking for:

Psalm 71 one

We've had the priviledge of meeting people who work with homeless folks, giving them a home where they can rehab from drug abuse, alcohol, etc, and teach them God's word. It's a restoration ministry. Many have come and gone through their doors, but some have stayed. They usually have around 12 people in their home at any time.

We were able to donate some furniture to them, as well as money, but one thing they are in need of is beds. My hubby has been calling around to military bases near us, but is unable to get very far in his search. We would be willing to drive if we find any, but finding them is harder than we thought.

Can anybody give us ideas as to how to get to the right people to ask?

Thanks

I dont know exactly where you are, but over the last few years I have run into a few different people here and there from church groups, that collect old furniture specifically to give to formerly homeless people who are transitioning into having an apartment or home again.

If you check with churches and synagogues near you, there may be something similar, even if not, church folks, if made aware that the homeless shelter (or whatever exactly they call it) exists can often times be generous in donations and volunteer help as well as the rest of the community at large as it is of general benefit to the whole community...

just an idea,

If they are registered as a nonprofit, donations are not only good works but tax deductible as well.

If not Goodwill and thrift stores are always good for inexpensive beds

Edited by mstar1

Check out this website:

http://www.rangerjoes.com

They have a lot of military surplus and the prices are reasonable. Maybe they'll give a discount if you explain your situation.

Have you checked your local Army/Navy surplus store in your city? If you have one in your area, that's another good place to go for bunk beds, etc...

Psalmie, if you have any colleges with dormitories (but they are called "residence halls" these days) you might check with them, too. They usually have some surplus or beds that are no longer needed as well.

It's a good thing!

Also, www.freecycle.org is a great place to find all kinds of things that might normally be heading to the landfill.

Thank you all! I did a Craigs list look up and found one guy who was selling 5 bunk bed sets and 10 dressers. The beds were sold! <_< But he still has the dressers. We're getting them.

Another place-- a church camp, was selling 50(! )sets of bunk beds-- military, camp size, etc. When we talked to the guy-- I think he might be the pastor of the church--upon hearing what they were for, said he'd be happy to donate them! YIPEEE!

God is good! AND this guy wants to hear more about what this Restoration ministry is doing-- his church gets involved in this kind of financial support!

The pastor of this restoration ministry was thrilled! We will get to go with him to tell this guy about this ministry.

Cool chef, I'm gonna follow up on your suggestion, these guys usually have to have fundraisers to make sure they have enough food, etc.