GreaseSpot Cafe

Upset about sopranos ending?

nandon

A lot of people have been seething about the final episode.

I don't really get why they are so upset.

First of all I am very satisfied with the show as a series.

People are saying something like this:

I wanted it to be more tied up, or I wanted a more conclusive ending..

What wasn't conclusive about it?

Did you want the show to follow tony to the grave? Did tony have to Die or go to jail for it to be a good ending?

To me, it was tied up and conclusive. Tony figured out a way to get rid of phill and get right with NY again, and he AJ finally got back on track, meadow is going good and carmela is all right. Paulie moved up, the therapist moved on. What else is there?

Plus i liked the ending because it leaves the possibility of a movie. There could be more, but there doesn't have to be.

Bobby Bacala said that when you die, "everything goes black."

Bobby learned that first hand, and never will know the fate of Tony and his family, the outcome of Phil's war.

The apparent hitmen in the diner weren't gunning for Tony and his family. The last thing we knew, Meadow was on her way in - then it all went black and quiet, and everything we knew of Tony's world was suddenly gone.

How did we buy the farm? Shot maybe? Stabbed? Blown up? It hardly matters. They couldn't let us live. We knew too much.

I remember back when the over-riding question was -- WHO SHOT JR.???

Short stow-ry here. Bunch of us from Duluth went up to Hibbing, Minneysoda.

(Yes -- the home of Bob Dylan), to *bless the believers there, by our presence at their twig.

Sadly -- it was the night that revealed who actually did shoot JR (Larry Hagman) in the Dallas series.

I think everyone had Dallas on their minds,

and unfortunately missed the greatness of God's Word that evening!

Immediately after fellowship, everyone began speculating as to who it might have been.

We were RESOUNDLY, and EMPHATICALLY reproved by the lovely D@n@ Lynn,

for thinking of temporal things, rather than the spiritual that we just heard.

So while I've never seen the Sopranos) -- I can relate!! :biglaugh:

Here's a blurb, about the old Dallas show, from way back when ----

Who shot J.R. Ewing?

That was the burning question on nearly everyone's mind in 1980. Dallas (CBS) was America's hottest primetime series, a slick soap opera depicting the private lives and public connivances of the somewhat dysfunctional, oil-rich Ewing family. Patriarch Jock Ewing's sons, J.R. (Larry Hagman) and Bobby (Patrick Duffy) were as different as night and day.

J.R. was the character millions of addicted viewers loved to hate -- a charming and unscrupulous Texas oilman who seldom let little things like morality or the law get in his way of acquiring whatever he wanted, be it a new oil field or another mistress. In contrast, Bobby was a straight-laced Boy Scout.

An unidentified gunman plugged the scheming J.R. in the final episode of the show's second season, and Dallas fans were forced to wait a seemingly interminable eight months -- through a long summer of reruns and then a seven-week actors' strike -- to find out who had fired the shot heard literally around the world. (In 1980 Dallas could boast of 300 million fans in nearly 60 countries. It's believed that more than half the population of Great Britain tuned in to the episode in which J.R. was gunned down.)

Finally, the new season began in November. The first three episodes further tormented the faithful with false leads, and then the truth was revealed in the fourth episode on November 21. This show earned the biggest audience share in television history -- a record 53.3 rating. The final tally: 41 million of the nearly 78 million households in the U.S. tuned in. (This record would stand until 125 million viewers gave the final episode of M*A*S*H a 60.2 rating on 28 February 1983.) A commercial minute during the November 21 Dallas episode cost $500,000. Some people laid bets on the culprit's true identity with Vegas bookmakers.

In 1985 Patrick Duffy decided to leave the show, and his character was apparently killed by a hit-and-run driver who turned out to be . . . well, you remember, don't you? The following year Duffy was lured back to the series by a hefty salary increase, appearing unexpectedly in the shower with his wife Pam (Victoria Principal.)

Of course, the resurrection occurred in the eighth season's finale, and the devoted had to endure another summer of reruns before finding out how Bobby had managed to cheat death. It turned out that the entire eighth season had been just a dream -- Bobby hadn't been hit by a car after all. Dallas addicts were willing to accept even this flimsy plot contrivance, and the series continued for another five seasons.

:)

I don't know that Tony got right with NY again. He talked to Phil's guys, but then Tony got the lead from the Fed where the calls were coming from so they could nail Phil Leotardo. There are probably some NY guys who want retaliation for Phil's death. That may be why there was so much focus on other patrons in the ending restaurant scene. I agree the ending sets it up for a movie.

I don't know that Tony got right with NY again. He talked to Phil's guys, but then Tony got the lead from the Fed where the calls were coming from so they could nail Phil Leotardo. There are probably some NY guys who want retaliation for Phil's death. That may be why there was so much focus on other patrons in the ending restaurant scene. I agree the ending sets it up for a movie.

... and consider the insult of the way that SUV squashed his head right in front of his wife and sort of in front of his grandbabies - no way would any mobsters would be able to not take their revenge.

... and consider the insult of the way that SUV squashed his head right in front of his wife and sort of in front of his grandbabies - no way would any mobsters would be able to not take their revenge.

It was a 2 for one swap. It's even. The NY guy said "do what you have to do". Phil was not beloved. Mobs dont like wars because money is lost.

The FBI guy said "YES, we're going to win this one!" when he heard phil died because they HAVE a case AND a witness that will testify against Tony. Had phill took tony out, that case would have been tossed out the window, and the FBI guys career wouldn't get advanced.

The guys in the pizza place, could be hit men, or FBI guys watching him, or just chase messing with us.