GreaseSpot Cafe

Honda Pilot

ohbehave

Hi Everybody,

ChasUFarley's minivan announcement inspired me to ask if any of you own a honda pilot. I've been considering this SUV for a long time now and thought this would be a great place for some first hand feedback.

Thanks for any input. Love you guys!

Thanks Zshot. The CR-V does look inviting cost wise. It's just that I have a german shepherd and am thinking of a larger car to take the dog and stuff for camping and such. I presently have a suzuki sidekick (4 door) and after having it for so long the thought of something bigger like the pilot sounds good. I appreciate hearing from you though! Thank you :)

post-171-1182910270_thumb.jpgpost-171-1182910298_thumb.jpgpost-171-1182910270_thumb.jpgpost-171-1182910298_thumb.jpgI love my 2003 Honda Civic Si. It has a 2.0 DOHC i-VTEC with 5 speed transmission and it rocks. I like the hatchback with easy fold down rear seats; it's great for stacking cases of wine / beer to take to my customers who are in a pinch for product.

Mine is black.

Edited by oenophile

I'm very fond of the Pilot design. It used to look more like an SUV but now seems to be fetching the crossover vehicle market, as it's new design resembles more of the Ford Freestyle or the Subaru Outback. Honda has overall good ratings in reliability and has been more on the cutting edge for newer innovations - such as hybrid designs that aren't aenemic. I believe the fuel economy in the non-hybrid Hondas is generally very good. In short, it's a lot of bang for the buck.

Personally, I'm loyal to Mopar - our driveway looks like a Mopar commercial, with a Dodge, a Chrysler, and a Jeep. I like the plushness of the Chrysler and the power Dodge offers. The Jeep is hubby's and it's a great utility vehicle but I don't drive it at all.

Some advice:

Shop around via the internet for prices and look up what's available in rebates, etc. Get familiar with the Kelly Blue Book listings for the vehicle (if you're going used) and what the MSRPs are (if you're going new). Never be in a hurry for the car and always be ready to WALK off the lot if the deal isn't as sweet as you need it to be...

And with a dog - try to get leather. It's way easier to keep clean and hairs don't get embedded in it!

I concur with Chas on the leather. I upgraded to a Subaru Baja. I had been looking at the Honda CR-V, but have wanted a Baja since they first came out. I wasn't too keen on the leather package that came with it, but now I'm soooo glad that it wasn't a choice since we've had quite a few occasions to get the interior good & dirty.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Honda, but other than that, can't help ya much. They are good looking vehicles, though!

Cool car Oenophile! It looks like it can really jam down the road. Thank you Chas and Belle for your suggestions. I'm not in too big a hurry so I'll definitely take time to check things out. Leather makes a lot of sense with the dog. I can see where it would be a whole lot easier to keep clean. I love the doggie but he does shed year round!

My credit union told me they work with a guy from Enterprise car rental company. He looks for rental cars that are for sale for credit union members and I understand I can save some going that route. I'm just not sure yet if they own pilots, or any honda make for that matter, but will look into it.

I hope everyone's having a nice evening and thanks again for the suggestions :)

p.s. Oenophile if you happen to read this could you suggest a good organic red wine that's not off the charts expensive?

You're welcome...

And one more thing...

Just like this place, there's a forum out there for about everything under the sun. Try a Google search for a Honda Pilot forum. Look for what people are lovin' and not lovin' about the car. You'll be amazed at what you find - and it will help hearing it from real people - not fancy reviewers who get paid for their remarks.

I haven't owned a Pilot, but I can say that I think honda cars and SUVs are safe, reliable, convenient and good looking. We loved our CR-V;used to travel with the labrador retreiver and cocker spaniel all the time. We let the back seats down and had plenty of room for luggage and lab. The Civic we owned probably saved my life in a wreck.

You might also want to look at the boxy Element. While on fight glance it resembles a box on wheels, it is extremely versatile and you can pack a lot of stuff in it with the back seats folded away or removed altogether.

Happy Hunting!

WG

Thanks WG :) I know the CR-V would be less money. When the time comes to actually buy I'll have a major reality check cost wise :) I am attempting to discipline myself and save each month as though I were making a car payment. I would love to not have to finance the whole thing.

Hope you're having a most excellent day and thanks again!