GreaseSpot Cafe

cruise to Cozumel

penguin

Hi all!

This penguin is going to go on a cruise From New Orleans to Cozumel Mexico--it is a 4 day cruise, with one day at Cozumel itself.

If any of you have ever been on a cruise, or to New Orleans or to Cozumel and there are certain things to do or see or know, please let me know! I have never been on a cruise and never left the continental USA. (Also not been to New Orleans-we are going to stay at the Royal Sonesta Hotel for one night before the cruise ship leaves.)

Also will be our first REAL vacation/honeymoon.

Thanks!

Here's my two cents.

New Orleans-go to the French Quarter. Great food, great music.

Cozumel-Some of the best snorkeling in the world.

If you can stomach the boat ride, go across to Playa del Carmen for a day. It's a very beautiful little town. Great beaches, great shopping and great restaurants.

Hi all!

This penguin is going to go on a cruise From New Orleans to Cozumel Mexico--it is a 4 day cruise, with one day at Cozumel itself.

If any of you have ever been on a cruise, or to New Orleans or to Cozumel and there are certain things to do or see or know, please let me know! I have never been on a cruise and never left the continental USA. (Also not been to New Orleans-we are going to stay at the Royal Sonesta Hotel for one night before the cruise ship leaves.)

Also will be our first REAL vacation/honeymoon.

Thanks!

I went to Playa del Sol - nice and not too crowded. There's a tiny zoo that is kinda fun too.

Cozumel has some excellant coral reefs and places to rent snorkling equipment...they have guided tours that will take you out in a boat to the best places...it's breath taking

Also, it's well worth the ferry trip from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen (takes about 20 minutes)...Playa del Carmen is a small village on the edge of the ocean with cantinas and good places to eat...no cars...it's all walking on dirt roads...some excellant buys on handcrafted items...it's more like a fair/carnival atmosphere than a village....I stayed there once for 10 days...it was wonderful

Advice...do not eat beef...stick with the pescado (fish)...it's caught fresh daily and grilled with excellant spices (try the pescado Vera cruz style)...do NOT drink the water...stick with bottled beer and be sure to take some pepto bismol with you.

and the tequila!...oh my :o

While you're in New Orleans, if you have a little time, take a tour of the Ante-bellum plantation homes.

The San Francisco is cool and Oak Alley ( a few miles out of town near Tiboudeau) is way cool.

Watch yerself in the "quarter". It's always been on the seamy side, but it's getting downright dangerous.

Crime is on the upswing all over town, so keep your eyes open...

Edited by George Aar

Seeing as how I've not much "international" experience, I can't help with that one, but you MUST have coffee and beignets at Cafe Du Monde in the French Quarter. I think it's a cardinal sin to miss that New Orleans treat on your first visit. :biglaugh:

Sounds like a wonderful vacation y'all have planned! Please fill us in on how wonderful it was when you get back.

I've been to Cozumel/Playa del Carmen 3 times now. I went on a cruise one of those times. I do not suggest buying an excursion. I do suggest taking a taxi and going to Chankanaab park for snorkeling. It is AWESOME!!! We went there, and then we went to Carlos and Charlie's to do a little partying. When we got back on the ship, we had a great time. We asked those who spent over $100 on excursions if they thought it was worth it. They weren't completely enthused. If you are doing it on your own, then you can spend as much time in the water as you want. If you are in Cozumel, the water is where you want to be. If you go on an excursion, you will get 2 hours TOPS in the water.

Chankanaab costs about $20 to get in, and the taxi ride will cost about another $30 RT from the docks to the park. The great thing about Cozumel is they have set pricing on taxi rides, so you know what it is up front. No screwing around about prices. The pricing is usually posted at the docks. There is food, drinks, showesrs, lockers, and shopping at Chankanaab as well.

I suggest you buy your own snorkel equipment. Once you do it, you will be hooked. I know people who dive and love snorkeling more. If your ship has snorkel equipment for rent, I would rent it there rather than at the park for sanitary reasons. You are safe to drink the water at places like Carlos and Charlies. They have purified water systems. They really cater to tourists in Cozumel. It is a wonderful place.

You will have to tell me what the foliage looks like. I was in Playa del Carmen when Hurricane Wilma hit. The place was devastated when we left. I want to go back. But I like seeing the tropical jungle there. That was gone when we left after the hurricane. That was in October 2005.

Ask any other questions you like. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about the area. It is my favorite vacation destination.

Edited by Nottawayfer

One more thing: Chankanaab has dolphins you can interact with. It is an extra cost with the price of admission, but it is a great experience to swim with the dolphins. There are a few different programs. I suggest you spend the extra money to actually swim with them as opposed to interacting with them. I have done it twice, and it is a very memorable experience for me. The cost is about $150 per pereson. That is my only suggest for "excursions". If you do this, schedule it ASAP because the schedules are always full. Pay ahead online and make sure you take your print out with you.

Here's the website: Dolphin Swim Information

If you swim with the dolphins, take your own waterproof disposable camera. You will want the pictures. They will take pictures for you, but they will charge tons of money. You will each get turns doing things with the dolphins. The other one can take pictures for the other.

I don't suggest exchanging your money for pesos. They take American cash anywhere, and you won't be stuck with useless pesos when you get home. Do take lots of smaller bills with you so that you don't have to take change back in pesos.

Edited by Nottawayfer

Most people don't eat in the dining room for lunch because there is such a variety of buffet items available on cruises at breakfast and lunch. They usually save their dining room experience for dinner. As you know, the food on cruises is UNBELIEVABLY DELICIOUS!!! I suggest you do go to the dining room for lunch. It might help you control portions and get something better than buffet items.

As I mentioned before Playa Del Carmen is across the bay from Cozumel.

They have totally rebuilt since the hurricane.

I would highly recommend it.

I go to Playa Del Carmen every winter.

One of the best places I've been too. It's like a small village and the main street is cobblestone and no cars are allowed on it. Great shopping and restaurants. It is lush and gorgeous.

Just make sure you take graval for the trip across the bay. And do it on a calm day.

Thanks for everyone's input! You can keep the suggestions coming. An employer is paying for the cruise part-we need to pay for our New Orleans and whatever we do on shore in Cozumel. The cruise isn't until mid September. We have to wait for our stateroom assignment before we look at excursions versus going out on our own.

Thanks for everyone's input! You can keep the suggestions coming. An employer is paying for the cruise part-we need to pay for our New Orleans and whatever we do on shore in Cozumel. The cruise isn't until mid September. We have to wait for our stateroom assignment before we look at excursions versus going out on our own.

A lot of times you can pay for the excursions while you are on the ship. What you do will be determined by how long the ship is in port. We went snorkeling in the Grand Caymans. (Which I realize you will not be visiting.) I'd recommend snorkeling to anyone - that is unless you can go scuba diving.

Edited by doojable

• 2 months later...

Well the cruise is getting close! :eusa_clap:

Raf please no cones heading in the Caribbean or Louisiana until after Sept 20!

It looks like we are going to try to do some shopping inside of Cozumel a little past the pier area and then head to Paradis Beach. Anyone been there? We are looking for a place to swim/wade, relax and eat.

Hurricane Dean made it through the Yucatan Peninsula a few weeks ago. I don't know if it hit Cozumel. I was in Playa del Carmen at the end of October in 2005 when Hurricane Wilma hit. I thought the BIG beyotch would never leave. We went to our room on Thursday night and couldn't come out until Sunday morning.

The great thing about a cruise is they can navagate around a hurricane. You may not get as much time at a port and your port of call may change, but at least you still get to enjoy your vacation.j

Have a great time and take pictures for us to see!

I still highly suggest Chankanaab Park for snorkeling in Cozumel.:biglaugh:

Advice...do not eat beef...stick with the pescado (fish)...it's caught fresh daily and grilled with excellant spices (try the pescado Vera cruz style)...do NOT drink the water...stick with bottled beer and be sure to take some pepto bismol with you.

and the tequila!...oh my :o

To add to this, a trick that people with weaker stomachs use to not get sick while traveling is to eat yogurt. If you can buy locally made yogurt it is better because it helps you build up your stomach against local strains of bacteria and such. I've never tried it, but friends who have traveled a lot swear by it. I generally don't get sick to my stomach when I travel to other countries, so I haven't had to try it.

As far as not drinking the water, drink bottled water. It's safe, and most hotels filter their water and it should be ok too if they specify that it's potable. Still, it's best for most people to stick with bottled water, and to NOT use ice, since it generally comes from unfiltered water.

I'm not sure why you advise against beef, but I haven't been to the East coast of Mexico. It's great in the northwestern states, where carne asada is usually made with sirloin instead of that fajita crap they use here in Texas. Still, if you're going to the beach, you should eat seafood. I highly suggest finding a good place for ceviche. It's my favorite beach food. Basically it's fish/shrimp/octopus/whatever mixed with lime juice and some other ingredients similar to pico de gallo. You put it on crackers or totopes (corn chips) and put some hot sauce on it. It's delicious, and goes great with beer.

As far as tequila is concerned, don't drink Cuervo and if it has a worm in it, it is not tequila. In fact, the worm in the bottle thing seems to be an American invention, so I wouldn't be surprised if those drinks are imported from the U.S. Some good widely available tequilas are Don Julio, Patron, and Cazadores.

If you want to buy any souvenirs, you're going to be ripped off doing it in the tourist areas. If you plan to buy a lot you should ask a taxi driver where to get them cheap. Generally a block or two away from the malecon (the main strip by the beach) you can find the same items available for much cheaper. Sometimes they're willing to work with you on the price or throw in something else for free.

Do beware of asking for restaurant advice from taxi drivers though. A lot of bad restaurants have deals with them to pay a commission for every customer that the taxi driver drops off. This results in p.o.'d tourists eating fish sticks from the frozen section at Walmart at high prices. If you eat at a place that is mostly full of tourists, the food will probably not be authentic.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone! We had an awesome time on the cruise!! I didn't realize how much gambling and drinking can occur on 4 days on a ship!!! We had a romantic and fun time and watched people make fools of themselves. The food was great--too much--I gained 5 pounds (tho hubby LOST 5) Weather was great. We came into New Orleans at the end of the surprise hurricane (On the TX/LA border), but it didn't mess with any of our travel plans. We went shopping on San Miguel Ave downtown Cozumel and then went to Paradise Beach. We relxed and had fun. We can't wait to find out if we get to go on another cruise next year.