GreaseSpot Cafe

Dream Quotes

sirguessalot

thought some of you guys might enjoy these.

a friend of mine gathered them for a journal project we are working on together.

mostly posting it to be read...but feel free to comment and/or inquire.

...or even add quotes of your own

Dreams are illustrations…from the book your soul is writing about you.

~ Marsha Norman

We can be the curates or curators of our own souls, an idea that implies an inner priesthood and a personal religion. To undertake this restoration of soul means we have to make spirituality a more serious part of everyday life.

~ Thomas Moore

If I were sitting here describing a dream…there’d be a certain look on your face. And I know what that look means because I feel it myself—recognition. The pleasure of recognition, a bit of rescue work, so to speak, rescuing the formless into form.

~ Doris Lessing

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the head, and in our despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

~ Aeschylus

Tradition teaches that soul lies midway between understanding and unconsciousness, and that its intrument is neither the mind nor the body, but imagination.

~ Thomas Moore

I believe that dreams are true interpreters of our inclinations; but there is art required to sort and understand them.

~ Montaigne

It is a common experience that a problem difficult at night is resolved in the morning after the committee of sleep has worked on it.

~ John Steinbeck

All the things one has forgotten scream for help in dreams.

~ Elias Canetti

We have forgotten the age-old fact that God speaks chiefly through dreams and visions.

~ Carl Jung

If we believe the Bible, we must accept the fact that, in the old days, God and His angels came to humans in their sleep and made themselves known in dreams.

~ Abraham Lincoln

Just as a burning fire inherently exudes heat, the unconscious inherently generates symbols…The unconscious speaks in symbols, not to confuse us, but simply because it is its native idiom.

~ Robert Johnson

Dreams say what they mean, but they don’t say it in daytime language.

~ Gail Godwin

The unconscious had developed a special language…symbolism… inner work is primarily the art of learning this symbolic language of the unconscious.

~ Robert Johnson

A dream is a microscope through which we look at the hidden occurrences in our soul.

~ Erich Fromm

To me, dreams are a part of nature, which harbors no intention to deceive, but expresses something as best it can, just as a plant grows or an animal seeks its food as best it can.

~ Carl Jung

Dreams are the voice of our instinctive animal nature or ultimately the voice of cosmic matter in us. This is a very daring hypothesis, but I’ll venture to say that the collective unconscious and organic atomic matter are probably two aspects of the same thing. So the dreams are ultimately the voice of cosmic matter. ... The dream strange to our rational mind.

~ Marie Louise von Franz

Even in the most sophisticated person, it is the primitive eye that watches the film.

~ Jack Nicholson

Every dream comes in the service of wholeness and the effort to harmonize interior and exterior life…and render feelings and emotions, thoughts, sensations and intuitions into metaphoric/symbolic forms.

~ Jeremy Taylor

The dream is a conversation between man and God.

~ Mahomet

I was not looking for dreams to interpret my life, but rather for my life to interpret my dreams.

~ Susan Sontag

There are more things in heaven & earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

~ William Shakespeare

As we wander even further into the materialist desert that our civilisation has become, our dreams are the only oases of spiritual vitality left to us. They represent our primordial habitat, our last wilderness, and we must protect them with as much fervour as the rain forests, the ozone layer, the elephant, and the whale.

~ Anthony Steven

Although working with thoughts and feelings can be helpful in many situations, it may not be enough when someone faces serious, life-altering events and the questions they raise. It may be even “less enough” when someone faces death. At such times, people often find that reason and the problem solving activities of waking consciousness offer few answers and little comfort. In contrast, many believe that dreams approach the question of mortality - indeed, all the major questions of life - from a much different perspective.

~ Janet Muff

Personal opinions are more or less arbitrary judgments and may be all wrong; we are never sure of being right. Therefore, we should seek the facts provided by dreams. Dreams are objective facts. They do not answer to our expectations.

~ C.G. Jung

I have dreamed in my life, dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas; they have gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

~ Emily Bronte

the dreamer and his dream are the same…the powers personified in a dream are those that move the world.

~ Joseph Campbell

A dream which is not interpreted is like a letter which is not read.

~ The Talmud

The creation of something new is never accomplished by the intellect but by the play instinct acting from inner necessity. The creative mind plays with the objects it loves.

~ C.G. Jung

Creativity is…seeing something that doesn’t exist already. You need to find out how you can bring it into being and that way be a playmate with God.

~ Michelle Shea

Deep within us there are untapped sources of healing and wisdom. Dreams are a simple and natural way of accessing this.

~ Michael Kearney

Hear my words: If there is a prophet among you, I the Lord make myself known to him in a vision, I speak with him in a dream.

~ Numbers 12:6

Keep a notepad at your bedside or in your bathroom, and write down a few words as soon as you wake up, to remind you of your dream later in the day. When my youngest child (now age 23) was little, he would come to the breakfast table with incredible verbal descriptions of his dreams. I told him to write them down, so he could make them into movies when he grew up. He actually had a "Dream Book", which began with childish letters and pictures, and evolved into a more sophisticated journal of dreams as he got older. He lost his Dream Book when we were in residence at the Indiana Campus. Seems appropriate.

Edited by Shifra

well...something real quick and easy...

- Keep a small notebook or journal next to your bed.

- It may help to tell yourself you want to dream well and recall them.

- And then practice writing anything in the journal before you wake up fully.

- Dont worry about spelling or grammar...even if you only write out key words and phrases that you recall. Though it may even turn into an hour of detailed writing.

- And it doesnt even matter if you read what you write right away... cuz the mere act of writing something out evey day will likely increase detailed recall of dreams...even multiple dreams.

- Coming back to the book days, weeks, months even years later will be very interesting, too

- A further step would be to form or join a 'dream group' of some kind...some good group practices out there

(haha! i was posting as you were Shifra...funny how similar)

Edited by sirguessalot