GreaseSpot Cafe

Woodburning kits

Cowgirl

I always thought they came in one temperature range: HHHHHOT !!!!

I wonder if yours is giving out?

I didn't want to derail the "coming out" thread but wondered if you had seen the way this gal uses driftwood:

http://www.jansch.freeserve.co.uk/index.htm

I have a few small pieces of driftwood around my own house (love the shapes and colors!) but I don't "Do" anything with it.

Can you post any pics of your own work?

Or how about a saudering kit, does the tip come in different thicknesses, the wood burning kits come with different tips, if a saudering tool comes in a resonable thickness for printing letters into wood, can you press down into the wood with a saudering tool like you wood a woodburning tool?

Cowgirl

I used to use a dull metal bit on a dremel tool, I started out wanting to cut the wood but I found that a dull metal bit burned it just fine. I wish I had some of those projects now. Also you might want to check into flex shaft motors and flex shaft handpieces with the wrong bit for the job you can burn with these but it takes the right touch which is what artistry is all about anyway. Also soldering irons work well too.

Or how about a saudering kit, does the tip come in different thicknesses, the wood burning kits come with different tips, if a saudering tool comes in a resonable thickness for printing letters into wood, can you press down into the wood with a saudering tool like you wood a woodburning tool?

Cowgirl

yes soldering comes with many different tips anywhere from fine to a flat tip.

Edited by bulwinkl

TheHighWay............................WOW!!!!!!! That's incredible work!!!!! Unbelieveable !!!

I'm just starting out building stuff, small items and I have also started a bit of carving some pieces of driftwood that already already resemble something, I'm just enhancing it a bit more, more along the lines of what Jonny Lingo was sharing in the other thread about his friend. I'm such an amateur at this stuff, but I'm loving it. I have so many ideas right now for it and I will get some pictures up to to give you an idea of what I'm working with.

Cowgirl

Edited by Cowgirl

I've been know to burn jello, so what do I know?

But seriously, I remember these things when I was a kid.

It seems like they came with an assortment of soft wood pieces .

Soft wood burns very rapidly and easily.

Maybe a woodburning tool just isn't made to get hot enough for your intentions.