GreaseSpot Cafe

I Must Be Brain Dead

satori001

My condolences Satori, I'm sorry for your loss.

Despite the desparate state of health care, that you were able to slip away at the ripe old age of 88 seems a testimony to the benefits of learning to eat healthy, if not the miracle of modern medicine and its $4 pills. Certainly borscht and nut milk allowed you to live so long and well. And while the third world is slowly acquiring internet access, it is awesome to know the after world has been wired ... is that broad band I hope?

The good thing about a terminal hematoba is you avoid the many other indecencies that occur to 90 year olds. While a less merciful doc may have allowed you to suffer terribly through your 90's, you left this world of sound mind. Sure heroic efforts may have allowed you to survive and suffer with this ailment, while other ailments became more pronounced and exasperating. But to bow out gracefully earlier, you can enjoy your 90's from the other side with none of those pesky organs that are no longer able to carry a tune.

So I bid you adieu .. I hope there is no prohibition in heaven ... if your connection from beyond stays active, there may be some other questions forth coming.

Edited by rhino

My condolences Satori, I'm sorry for your loss.

Despite the desparate state of health care, that you were able to slip away at the ripe old age of 88 seems a testimony to the benefits of learning to eat healthy, if not the miracle of modern medicine and its $4 pills. <snip>

It's a shame his medication wasn't able to help him with dementia. Apparently he forgot his profile states his age to be 98 yrs old. But even if he's 88 I agree with you that that's quite a testimony to modern medicine.

It is indeed a sad state of affairs how our elderly are looked upon and treated. As if their value is less because they are not a spy youngin' with visions of sugar plums dancing in their heads. Rather they are words of wisdom from experience, and councel of how to live the fullest and attend to what is important and toss aside the little stuff that youth still find to be earth shattering.

Not that youth is a bad thing, heck I wouldn't mind some of it back but our elderly (myself approaching) have so much more to offer mankind because they've been there and done that and could teach us how to stand on their feet and take it further than even they did if we only tried and allowed them our honest hearts and time.

I watched the care Ted had for his mother and how he never treated her with anything other than respect she had earned. I found I was less patient than he was and have learned about myself due it and have made some changes in my thinking and even in my life. This Saturday I will be in training at Tampa General for a service I will be providing each week and I understand many of the folks I will be serving will be the elderly. I thrill at the opportunity to be with them.

I hope our nation begins to respect the elderly and learn from them, it would be a tragic thing if we didn't.

(perhaps they can teach me to spell)

Edited by ChattyKathy

Having been through a fairly similar situation and having to take off months this summer from work (and summering) to straighten out the completely lackadasiacal medical care given my father, I realize that the sum of the post is all too real and common. Most elder care doctors that I have met this year have the ethical substance of a slug and are about as responsible as crack addicts unless their feet ( and sometimes their heads) are firmly and persistently held to the fire.

Thankfully,(and thank God I have a family that is willing to educate themselves and stay highly involved) it has been straightened out after some very narrow and very unnecessary near misses.

I just got back from his house. PapaMstar turned 90 today and is doing great, but it wasnt without some great efforts along the way fighting the system