GreaseSpot Cafe

9/11

excathedra

today i was driving to work to the same office at the same time listening to the radio..... only six years ago i heard something about a small plane crashing into the towers.....

today on the radio the memorial service.....

i turned the corner and i saw a young boy about my son's age riding his skateboard on the sidewalk, and i said to him (well, to myself), "why aren't you in school"?

and then i saw it was Chuck. he was in first grade when his dad ran in to help others and never came out. now Chuck is in 7th. i'll bet he and his mom and family were going over to our town's memorial service....

may they all rest in peace and may we never forget....

I remember... pulling over and crying...

There are never enough words, because speech is inadequate, to express grief or thankfulness for tremendous sacrifice.

Sometimes all I can do is cry. Then I determine to LIVE and make every moment of MY life count! Live as if I'm are going to live a life that shouts out loud, "THANK YOU!"

I had a vacation day that day and was taking my mother-in-law to the hospital, coincidentally the one where I worked. I had to get her a wheelchair and ran to my department, where a coworker told me of the first plane hitting the WTC. I got her situated where she needed to be, ran downstairs to my desk and called home. My husband had been cutting the lawn when a neighbor told him to go inside and turn on his TV. He saw the second plane hit live. He was crying.

The next day at work, a physicist in our department, a woman from Iran, angrily informed me that we had gotten exactly what we deserved.

Forward to a year later, a few days before 9/11/02, and I'm at work, listening to another secretary the wife of a local firefighter, denounce the plans for a memorial service, stating she wished everyone would forget about and let us get on with our lives.

I don't think I'll ever forget or be the same again.

WG