GreaseSpot Cafe

dialing tones through my pc speaker

Jbarrax

I have just heard an odd noise from my pc speaker. It sounds like a touchtone phone being dialed very rapidly. Ten tones (two groups of five tones in about 2 seconds) come through my pc speaker. The first time it happened, the pc was turned off. It's happened twice more in the past few minutes. Is this the sound of someone hacking into my pc or am I just having auditory hallucinations?

I just switched my broadband internet service from cable to Verizon DSL last week, but this is the first time I've heard this. It seems to be happening every five minutes.

Any clues?

Edited by Jbarrax

I'd check with Verizon first then run spybot SD

http://filehippo.com/download_spybot_search_destroy/

and run through these as well-

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Must-Read-B...-Log-t2852.html

and if you want to you can post there at geekstogo forums

and they will ask for the hijack this log

don't know why it would or could do that with no power though

Hi Tom, Cman. Yes I have DSL filters on all the phones. I'll recheck and make sure someone hasn't removed one of them. I tried to run Ad-Aware right after the tones began and it crashed. Not a good sign. I'll try the other one.

Did you have a cell phone close to the speakers? I had a client a few years back telling me that one of the computers had odd noises comeing through the computer speakers. Went to look at it and saw the speakers were unplugged. Found out they unplugged them BECAUSE of the odd noises but even unplugged the noise came through. I told them this was impossible, of course. A short while later while looking at another computer at the same location, a girl had sat down to use the computer making the odd noises and lo and behold, strange sounds started coming from the UNPLUGGED speakers. So I take a quick look around her desk and noticed her cell phone. Moved it away from the work area and the noise stopped!

Cingular seems to make it happen more than any other type phone. I just switched to them and can't have the phone NEAR my desk or I get all kinds of strange sounds from my speakers!

Rick

Quite bizarre. I do keep a Sprint PCS phone just above my speakers, but it's almost always turned off. Don't remember now if it was turned on that evening or now. I suppose I could conduct an experiment and turn it on and set it next to the speakers and see what happens.

I tried that Filehippo spyware software and I'm not convinced that's good anti-spyware. It claimed that I had over 1,500 spyware infections on my pc. But most of them were pc games pre-installed by HP on the computer. I don''t think those are legitimate security threats. I ran Ad-Aware again and found a few trackers, but nothing serious.

Anyway, the dial tones stopped and haven't resumed. Maybe the NSA got their survelillance software working quietly again the way it's supposed to. :-)

• 8 months later...