GreaseSpot Cafe

Cults In America

Bumpy

When I read through some of these threads and in US newspapers, I have to ask myself, are all these crazy cults in America there for a reason? I know the “need to belong” is a universal human trait, but a need to belong to religious splinter (cult) organizations seems to be so prevalent or indigenous to the USA.

Over here, there may be some, but I think most of the time members ride around on motorcycles. <_<

Any ideas?

Perhaps there is an answer in the differences in our cultures. I don't know much about the culture where you live, Bumpy.

How strong and set is the dominant religion?

Perhaps we have too much time on our hands....;)

When I read through some of these threads and in US newspapers, I have to ask myself, are all these crazy cults in America there for a reason? I know the “need to belong” is a universal human trait, but a need to belong to religious splinter (cult) organizations seems to be so prevalent or indigenous to the USA.

Over here, there may be some, but I think most of the time members ride around on motorcycles. <_<

Any ideas?

This is a complex topic that many thesis could be written about. However, just to try to put it in simple terms, I have a few ideas that I won't elaborate on here but feel free to ask questions if I say anything that doesn't make sense.

To start, we do have a solid foundation of religious freedom since the early days of this nation. Since the founding fathers basically provided for an anything goes society when it comes to religion, we have the groundwork for new religions and ideas to spring up. Not only that, but we also have a strong belief in freedom in general, combined with a constant push for improvement and innovation. The result is that we don't focus as much on traditions as other places will.

We are also a fairly religious nation. While the U.S. was "in no sense founded upon the Christian religion", religious people have been here since the beginning, and religious extremists from Europe came here to be able to practice their religions openly. That sort of extremism offers another factor that leads to a fertile foundation for cults.

The U.S. is a melting pot of ideas as well as people. Immigrants bring new ideas and values, some of which are good and attractive to people here. The merging of those beliefs often do create new religious organizations.

However, there is a dark side to what allows cults to exist. Many people are isolated because our nation does not really have a unique identity, and people are looking for something to latch onto. It doesn't help that many people are very poorly educated, and even those that are well educated are often lacking in terms of training in skepticism.

Anyway, I'd write more but I have to do some work then go to lunch. Ciao!

Yes, a sense of belonging is powerful. I felt it in the drug culture, I felt it with my teen friends, and I certainly felt it in TWI. In TWI it was just as much circling the wagons as a sense of belonging. Back in the day depending on where you were, people just hated us; it was bizarre.

I suppose America is not called The Melting Pot without reason. I think it's called Liberty.

...or better stated, the ‘melting pot’ which has a long way to go before the lumps are out. About the only thing melting today is US $$ purchasing power, the stock market, respect for the rules of law, international prestige, middle class America, etc., etc., etc.

Cults quite possibly provide a recreational setting for a Dr. Strangelove rationalization of impending doom. The liberty to choose between one cult satire or another being just a question of hanging around with folks, who don’t make you feel too uncomfortable when listening to the “new American quick fix technology” of the next level.

Your final destination. :spy: