GreaseSpot Cafe

Thanksgiving Tradition

Belle

I do believe this is the first Thanksgiving at the cafe with absolutely no mention of

. :unsure:

We listened to it and sang along while tooling around San Fran this past week and I explained that I had never heard of it till I started spending Thanksgiving with a bunch of greasespots.

when it comes up I usually mention it, although its probably getting sort of old by now. My studio is less than 1/4 mile from the old Alice's, Its still a restaurant and I stop in for lunch every now and then. Arlo is a local and the town is still exactly as he described it in the song 40 years ago ( 3 stoplights, 2 police officers, 1 police car..)..it hasnt changed at all

.This past year I ran into an old guy who claims to be the one who called up "the police officer station" and complained about that hippie kid who was dumping all the garbage.

What an interesting niche of Americana for that old quiet country guy....

All the people and parts of the story are true.....some of them are still around town....Arlo still does a huge Thangsgiving feast at "the church" every year

My studio too is 'around the back just a half mile from the railroad track". If you are ever up this way be sure tio 'walk right in", I'll make sure you get anything yoiu want...

Edited by mstar1

As always, I listened to it.

Actually, this is the first year I listened to the original,

AND listened to the updated one from 20 years later,

which is downloadable for free on Arlo's website, http://www.arlo.net

from http://www.arlo.net/massacree/

I think the MP3 version may be down, but the Real downloaded just fine.

(Part 2 is the actual "Alice's Restaurant" redo for the 20th Anniversary.)

There's also a tribute page to Officer Obie. :)