GreaseSpot Cafe

Dad update

Nero

Because my dad used to play Santa quite a few times. ;3

But my dad did kiss my mother the other day. 3 times or so. He even winked at her.

My dad is still doing his on-and-off thing where he seems quite awake enough to say something or wiggle his eyebrows at you... to very sleepy and he can't be roused.

I had dream again last night - that he was at the house... I walked in after work... I dreamed of work btw... boooorring. But he was sitting there... and everyone was sitting around him like they were happy he was there... but simply forgot to call me up and tell me.

Everything was so real - down to the conversation. I was mad that no one called me up... but I couldn't give a rip after about ten seconds. I even asked my dad if I was dreaming. He didn't talk - but he just shook his head no. So I went over and just bawled on him and told him I loved him.

And then I woke up again... and cried all over again.

My dad is doing better. He is - he answered in a complete sentence!

But I am so worried I will never see my father at home... because the doctors simply do not believe my mother OR the nurses when they tell them he spoke, followed a pen, mimics people or kissed someone. They come in for a few minutes a day and poof... gone. But they don't believe anyone who actually spends more than ten seconds in the room with him.

:asdf:

I say this because he was quite active - and then... he just sort of zoned out. He had a problem with his heart... a tiny clot in an unimportant valve - but it needed to be fixed before there is a problem.

One of the doctors wouldn't treat him because he said: "Oh well... you know. Sometimes patients can stay in this state forever - but sometimes they just get sick and die." My dad talked!

Instead of the doctor just going: Really? He's always like: Are you sure that happened? Are you suuuurreeee!?!?!?!? *I sooo want to drop kick this creep*

A completely treatable problem... and "sometimes they get sick and die." WTF?!

The other day his blood pressure was very high... but the doctor didn't do squat for him.

The only reason anything gets done is because my mother demands to see a different doctor who is willing to help... if she didn't ask another one wouldn't be called to help. O_o No wonder she has been living at the hospital. If she didn't I'm sure he would have been dead by now.

But hopefully he will be getting transfered out tomorrow - hopefully to a place that doesn't suck. Keep your fingers crossed.

nero-do you have a digital camera that will do videos. I would tape any and all improvements..

leave it with your mom for those moments when your dad is talking, blowing kisses or even responding..

it could be very helpful for the next doctor or further testing or diagnosing...the nurses or docs wont do it..

Nero, if it helps any I went through the same experience with a beloved aunt who suffered a massive stroke at age 87. The doctor was sooo reluctant to even provide pain relief. She did die, after about six days, but I made damn sure it wasn't in a nursing home. It was in my living room, surrounded by flowers, music, and love. Just myself and a hospice nurse were present, and I ran the hospice nurse's life every minute she was there. (I can be a little terror when I want to.)

It sounds to me, however, like your dad is making some small but significant improvements. Doctors as a general rule don't know much at all about the human brain, what it can recover from and what it cannot. Younger victims are frequently treated more aggressively than older patients. It's unfortunate, and just plain wrong, but true. Especially in America, our elders are not valued as they should be.

Your dad's on my prayer list that he will soon sit up and tell the doctors what to do with themselves!

WG