GreaseSpot Cafe

How could you?

Dot Matrix

How Could You?

When I was a puppy, I entertained you with my antics and made you laugh. You called me your child, and despite a number of chewed shoes and a couple of murdered throw pillows, I became your best friend.

Whenever I was "bad," you'd shake your finger at me and ask "How could you?"-- but then you'd relent and roll me over for a belly rub.

My housebreaking took a little longer than expected, because you were terribly busy, but we worked on that together. I remember those nights ofnuzzling you in bed and listening to your confidences and secret dreams, and I believed that life could not be any more perfect.

We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice cream (I only got the cone because "ice cream is bad for dogs" you said), and I took long naps in the sun waiting for you to come home at the end of the day.

Gradually, you began spending more time at work and on your career, and more time searching for a human mate. I waited for you patiently, comforted you through heartbreaks and disappointments, never chided you about bad decisions, and romped with glee at your homecomings, and when you fell in love.

She, now your wife, is not a "dog person" -- still I welcomed her into our home, tried to show her affection, and obeyed her. I was happy because you were happy.

Then the human babies came along and I shared your excitement. I was fascinated by their pinkness, how they smelled, and I wanted to mother them, too. Only she and you worried that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my time banished to another room, or to a dog crate. Oh, how I wanted to love them, but I became a prisoner of love."

As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur andpulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked fingers in my eyes, investigated my ears, and gave me kisses on my nose. I loved everything about them and their touch -- because your touch was now so infrequent -- and I would've defended them with my life if need be. I would sneak into their beds and listen to their worries and secret dreams, and together we waited for the sound of your car in the driveway.

There had been a time, when others asked you if you had a dog, that you produced a photo of me from your wallet and told them stories about me. These past few years, you just answered "yes" and changed the subject. I had gone from being "your dog" to "just a dog," and you resented every expenditure on my behalf.

Now, you have a new career opportunity in another city, and you and they will be moving to an apartment that does not allow pets. You've made the right decision for your "family," but there was a time when I was your only family.

I was excited about the car ride until we arrived at the animal shelter. It smelled of dogs and cats, of fear, of hopelessness. You filled out the paperwork and said "I know you will find a good home for her." They shrugged and gave you a pained look. They understand the realities facing a middle-aged dog, even one with "papers."

You had to pry your son's fingers loose from my collar as he screamed, "No, Daddy! Please don't let them take my dog!" And I worried for him, and what lessons you had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and responsibility, and about respect for all life.

You gave me a good-bye pat on the head, avoided my eyes, and politely refused to take my collar and leash with you. You had a deadline to meet and now I have one, too. After you left, the two nice ladies said you probably knew about your upcoming move months ago and made no attempt to find me another good home. They shook their heads and asked

"How could you?"

They are as attentive to us here in the shelter as their busy schedules allow. They feed us, of course, but I lost my appetite days ago.

At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it was you that you had changed your mind -- that this was all a bad dream... or I hoped it would at least be someone who cared, anyone who might save me.

When I realized I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of happy puppies, oblivious to their own fate, I retreated to a far corner and waited. I heard her footsteps as she came for me at the end of the day, and I padded along the aisle after her to a separate room. A blissfully quiet room.

She placed me on the table and rubbed my ears, and told me not to worry. My heart pounded in anticipation of what was to come, but there was also a sense of relief. The prisoner of love had run out of days.

As is my nature, I was more concerned about her. The burden which she bears weighs heavily on her, and I know that, the same way I knew your every mood.

She gently placed a tourniquet around my foreleg as a tear ran down her cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I used to comfort you so many years ago.

She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein. As I felt the sting and the cool liquid coursing through my body, I lay down sleepily, looked into her kind eyes and murmured "How could you?"

Perhaps because she understood my dogspeak, she said "I'm so sorry." She hugged me, and hurriedly explained it was her job to make sure I went to a better place, where I wouldn't be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to fend for myself --a place of love and light so very different from this earthly place.

And with my last bit of energy, I tried to convey to her with a thump of my tail that my "How could you?" was not directed at her. It was directed at you, My Beloved Master, I was thinking of you. I will think of you and wait for you forever. May everyone in your life continue to show you so much loyalty.

----------------------------

A Note from the Author:

----------------------------

If "How Could You?" brought tears to your eyes as you read it, as it did to mine as I wrote it, it is because it is the composite story of the millions of formerly "owned" pets who die each year in American and Canadian animal shelters. Anyone is welcome to distribute the essay for a noncommercial purpose, as long as it is properly attributed with the copyright notice. Please use it to help educate, on your websites, in newsletters, on animal shelter and vet office bulletin boards. Tell the public that the decision to add a pet to the family is an important one for life, that animals deserve our love and sensible care, that finding another appropriate home for your animal is your responsibility and any local humane society or animal welfare league can offer you good advice, and that all life is precious. Please do your part to stop the killing, and encourage all spay and neuter campaigns in order to prevent unwanted animals. Jim Willis the story.

I looked for his symbol and missed it here is his site, to give him credit

http://www.save-haven.org/dogpoem.htm

I got my cats when my children were young , and my cats have seen all what this story says ,

We all grew up together and had a fun time all the birthdays all the moving all of it , the cats were part of the family, then they all left one by one they all left you know.

what the kids didnt see was how depressed he got and how she would still run to the window waiting and looking at the end of the school day time.

I never let that fat old rather unkept of a fur ball on my bed before they left but when he spent three weeks sitting at my youngest door waiting for it to open with eyes that killed me, one night i said ok but just till you feel better.

it has been a few more years and now i wake in the night to reach for a fur mess and pull him close like the best teddy i could ever have , i like the smell of his fur and his loud obnoxious purr every time i roll over and he gets up walks over my body and lays back in my arms, every single time.

i promised them I wont leave them, and I wont not ever. I think humans might love their pets but no way are we ever so loyal as they are.

Edited by pond

That's a real heart breaker, Dot. I know sometimes there are circumstances beyond people's control that force them to give up their furry companions, but lots of people are pretty cavalier about it. They should never have pets to begin with, IMO.

My late buddy Chester, I rescued just before he was due to be put down. My EmmaDog and MollyCat are rescues. When I adopted them, I promised that they would have a home forever, and I meant it. Emma and Molly had already been shuffled around plenty in their young lives before coming home with me.

Emma's a real pi$$er, both literally and personality-wise. When she gets bladder infections, she chews things and has accidents. She barks too much. She hogs the bed. She can be a real pest. I love her despite her flaws, but I have frequently told her over the years that if she weren't so cute and if I hadn't promised, she'd be back in doggie jail. :) Molly took years to lose her feral-cat fear, but now she finally feels safe and craves head scratches and cuddles.

I once dated a guy who didn't like Emma much. Guess who's gone and guess who's still here. :D

That is a heart wrenching piece but so true. I have gotten all of my pets at animal shelters and have volunteered over the years to rescue and re-home abandon animals. It is heartbreaking but rewarding work. I am so grateful for people like you who work so tirelessly to save animals and keep the issue in front of people. I admire your energy and committment. I have had to take a break from volunteering for health reasons, but love my old dogs and young cat who I have made a lifetime committment to -their lifetime, not mine- I recently redid my will and provided for their continued care when I am gone.

So I will set my soapbox up next to yours for a second and ask everyone to consider making provisions for your animals after you are gone. Don't just hope your family will take care of the animals, set aside money to put in a trust for them and name a guardian and trustee. My attorney had me state a sum that would provide a very comfortable life for my animals, name a caretaker for my animals and name a trustee of the funds. Now I know that I don't need to worry about my loyal friends after I am gone or leave the burden on my family to figure out what to do with my animals.

OK. I put my soapbox away. Thanks, Dot. I love you and so do my fur kids.

....and Linda, Amen for choosing the pet over the human. I have done the same and glad I did. My animals are always there for me. Humans... not so much. I have had friends and family members who have done the same and all were thankful to their pet for saving them wasted time and heartache on someone who wasn't right for them.

It kills me to think that Sophie, my lab, at age 6 was headed for the same destination. The people who had had her from a six week old puppy were moving and needed to fix their house up to sell it. They had had a child and both of them worked 12 hour shifts. The story they told me was that she was vicious and might harm their 22 month old child. She was hugely overweight, neurotic and confused. Where did she belong in the order of things now that they had a child and careers? There was no place for her. Naturally, she tried to make one the only way she knew, by being somewhat aggressive and pushing to see where the boundaries were. They were going to have her put down if I brought her back. I took one look at her, snarling through their living room window at me before they opened the door, and decided she was too good to give up on. Under the growling blubber lived the granddaughter of a national champion.

We walked and walked and walked. She had been to puppy school and knew how to heel, sit, stay, the whole bit. We tried dog foods until we found one she liked and we could afford, and eventually she slimmed down. We explained to her the pack order in our household and she fit in quite nicely once she understood. She is the best dog I've ever seen.

She's 14 now, absolutely ancient for a Labrador retriever. She has cataracts and bad arthritis, and I suspect is losing her hearing as well. She can be incredibly demanding. The thought of what is to eventually come breaks my heart and I cannot continue this account.

Once I read of a young woman who came into a shelter with her dog, about 6-8 years old. Her complaint was that the dog no longer played and she wanted to trade her in on a puppy who would play with her. The girl at the shelter had the guts to say "No. There is no puppy here for you. And I hope when you get old and can no longer play, that someone brings you to a place like this and wants a newer, younger, more playful model."

I made Sophie a promise the first year we had her, when she tried to follow or jump into every SUV she saw that looked like her previous owner's. I told her I would never ever leave her. And I won't. I will go to the vet's office for the last time with her, to whisper in her ear at the very end my thanks for her selfless love.

WG

Dot and WG, we lost Maggie (after 15 years) on December 11 at 8:10 pm. She waited until my son and daughter and I got back home that night. She had been slowing down drastically in the 2 weeks before. We carried outside to go to the potty. She no longer could make it down the little step by the sliding glass door and we helped her stand up so she wouldn't mess herself. But on the last day, we came home, I carried her out (she had the look) and she could no longer stand at all. We (my husband and I) held up both front and back parts of her body. She was breathing unusually and I knew it was only a matter of minutes then. We laid her on the sleeping bag that has been her bed for the last year. She began her more labored breathing and her tongue turned very pale. Her lungs were failing and her heart was tired. She gasped a few times and jerked and all this was in about a period of 45 seconds...maybe a minute. But, she died next to my side of the bed where she has slept for almost 15 years...with myself petting her with my daughter and husband as well. she had been loosing her health and I had other family members suggest the vet thing...but how could I have her spend her last hours in a cold unknown place. I preferred to have her to try to keep living at home and we would carry her out to pee and poop as long as she needed us to.

I am crying as I write this, I havent "talked about it" with anyone but my friend who helped me get her to the vet for the private cremation. I told them to keep her collar and tags on her because, a. she freaked when you took her collar off, b. that way I know the it will be HER ashes.

Ahhh such sad stories

Today, a guy called and asked me how much it would cost to euthanize his cat. "Ahh, are you a client?"

"No"

"What is wrong, is she sickly or older?"

"No, it is a he and my brother is allergic and is spending more and more time at my house so I was going to put the cat down."

"We do not euthanize healthy pets. Why don't you find him a home?"

He said, "Well, he is a really cool cat and I love him very much. He is three years old and even people who do not like cats like him."

"Well, what have you tried so far? I will help you."

"You are the first call I made," he said.

"So, he is a great cat - you love madly, and your first course of action is to call me - to have him killed. Does that make sense to you? You need to call the rescues, put him on Criag's list (asking for references) you need to TRY for God's sake."

Geez...... The client in the lobby said, "Why doesn't he just euthanize his brother."

Edited by Dot Matrix

Your stories make me cry...that's not good with contacts.

WnW, your love and concern for your Maggie is a testament to you and your family. And I gotta say I'm not a big dog fan, not because I dont like them but because I do not have the time to really spend with one. It would not be fair to the animal. But your furball, "Happy" is just adorable! I like dogs like that, big, tail wagging, fur balls!

Maybe when I retire I will have the time to care for a dog. Until then it is cat city at my house!

Dot your dedication to animals is amazing! Thank you for the story, it made me cry something horrible. Now I just cant wait to get home to cuddle my cats.

no kidding.....

What is wrong with people?

Indeed!

Our wonderful vet allows families to bring the pet in and stay with them. My husband took Maxx. First she gave him just sleeping medication, until he was in a deep sleep and snoring happily. Then she came in with a tourniquet. My husband held Maxx in his arms as he breathed his last. Had he just been extremely old, which he was, I would have just let him slip away at home. But he had a big cancer in his belly and was in a lot of pain. The day before he died, I had four strong pain pills for him, and he got up, walked around and had a very good day, better than he had had in a month or so. The day after that I still had pain pills to give him, but I could tell they weren't doing as much good.

Sophie, I dunno. She is 60 lb and really hard for me to lift, but we doubled her Deramaxx to 1/2 tab every morning and evening and it has helped her a lot. The dampness we're having today is bothersome to both of us. She is, as I've stated before, one heckuva dog. She barks in anxiety sometimes in the evenings, and since we are having a small group here starting next week, I'm gonna get her some meds so's she'll sleep through small group. Nothing heavy duty, just a little Ambien for doggies.

WG

I love my fur doggies. Both of mine were rescue dogs too. I want more, but I know that would not be the best right now. If I win the lottery, I'm going to give HUGE charitable donations to no kill rescues. I may even start my own. I have a huge space in my heart for dogs, and I HATE to see them living in less than desirable conditions.

We have neighbors down the street who keep their dogs outside 24/7 365 days a year. It saddens me when we have over 100 degree weather (common in Arizona) and some freezing days in the winter (we're in a higher elevation so we do get them). These dogs sleep in a hole they dug in the front yard. :rolleyes: These idiots have their big boat and jet skies out front amongst the rest of their junk in front of their junky house, so you know what their priority is. I don't understand why they have dogs.

I have to add one more thing. I was not fond of animals until about 4 years ago. I had brought that mind-set with me from being in TWI (no pets, they smell, etc.) I didn't want a smelly dog in my house. When I got married, my husband had a chocolate lab. While I was job searching and at home, that big boy became my baby. I'm the one who let him in the house and babied him.

One dog I have now is a border collie mix, with long black hair. It gets EVERYWHERE!! But I still love her. I just vacuum more.

Dot thanks for posting that piece it is good to read it once in a while..

Here is another along those lines

Caution Eyesopen Contact Alert...........

You Didn't Even Say Goodbye

"Woof!" I said as you started the car,

"Hooray!" I said, it's my first time afar.

The scents we were passing were all new to me,

For it was my first introduction to this mysterty.

As we got out of the car I embraced you with joy,

After all you remembered to bring my favorite toy!

You threw it once or twice, of which I retrieved,

But on the third it seemed you were ready to leave.

You threw it long and hard and I chased it like lightning,

But when I turned to bring it back I saw a sight quite frightening.

I gripped my toy hard as I tried to comprehend

What it was I did wrong to make our relationship end.

You walked back to your car as I sat there still loyal.

Why am I subservient and you so royal?

Your engine started, and you peeled out into the night,

You didn't even care about my overwhelming fright.

As I sat in my pose determined you would come back,

The sun faded behind me while the surroundings turned black.

Day after day I stayed in that park,

Lying... waiting... too feeble to bark.

As I lay there dying thinking of you master,

I asked myself how I got into this horrifying disaster.

With my last breath of life, I whispered your name

Then I collapsed in a heap over run by pain.

Why didn't you love me master? Why didn't you care?

Had I no significance, was I just a clump of hair?

I stayed there master and I waited for you

I guess taking care of me was just too much to do.

I'm gone now master, no more You-and-I

But what I can't figure out is why you didn't even say goodbye...

Edited by WhiteDove