GreaseSpot Cafe

How Long ?

WhiteDove

Kansas's native sons came home tonight! Back to where it all began some 34 years ago, back to The Point of Know Return, to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the rock classic with the home town. Backed by a full symphony Orchestra KANSAS played a sold out show at the performing arts center. Those hippie kids down the street as our neighbors used to call them played hits from their eight gold and three multi-platinum albums. I've seen these guys so many times I've lost count but tonight they were truly amazing, of note was the rendition of Cheyenne Anthem with the full orchestra it was Absolutely Stunning. Somewhere in the happy hunting ground Chief Burnett was smiling.

Cheyenne Anthem

* Kansas *

From the mountains to the sun, Life has only just begun.

We wed this land and pledge our souls to meet its end,

Life has only just begun

Here my people roam the earth, in the kingdom of our birth,

Where the dust of all our horses hides the sun

We are mighty on the earth, on the earth

You have come to move me, take me from my ancient home,

Land of my fathers I can't leave you now

We will share it with you, no man owns this earth we're on

Now the wheels are rolling hear the howling winds of war

It's my destiny to fight and die

Is there no solution, can we find no other way, Lord let me stay

Under the endless sky and the earth below

Here I was born to live and I will never go, oh no

But we cannot endure like the earth and the mountains

Life is not ours to keep, for a new sun is rising

Soon these days shall pass away, for our freedom we must pay

All our words and deeds are carried on the wind,

In the ground our bodies lay, here we lay

I have to ask the obvious question..The rumor throughout Wayville for years was that these guys were "tripped out grads" who had been involved early then decided to leave- and that "Carry On My Wayward Son" was written when they left.

Does anyone know if there is any truth to that..

btw--I was a fan in the very early part and throughout 70's, saw them live in a very small venue (about 350 people)before their fame hit and was amazed...

i like the group kansas,their is a lot of deep spiritual metaphors,i don't believe they were ever in twi,i also heard grace slick wrote a son caled jane about a girl from the way corp,what is the rumor on that inquiring minds want to know?

Sounds like Way Urban legends to me.

Whenever TWI got people in the public eye involved, they made sure that you knew about it. Even if anyone from Kansas had been involved in TWI for a short time, it would have been trumpeted loudly before being forgotten.

Who remembers that pamphlet that came out in the late 70's or maybe early 80's with Jim Schoenheit of the Buffalo sabres, Jom Donaldson the rodeo guy and a few others?

Now I've heard stories over the years that a lot of famous folks were witnessed to by TWI people; I find that slightly more believeable.

Wayfers often believed that true spirituality could only come via TWI, so fequently became convinced that preachers, singers, authors etc who had no connection to TWI had to be PFAL grads, or had to have stolen a syllabus, because they couldn't conceive that the information in PFAL was out there already.

I have to ask the obvious question..The rumor throughout Wayville for years was that these guys were "tripped out grads" who had been involved early then decided to leave- and that "Carry On My Wayward Son" was written when they left.

Does anyone know if there is any truth to that..

btw--I was a fan in the very early part and throughout 70's, saw them live in a very small venue (about 350 people)before their fame hit and was amazed...

Kansas and the early kansas way leaders came out of the same hippie crowd People like The S*nn's hung around in the same circles the connection was probably more drug related than fellowship. They were just local kids that everyone knew and saw at the head shops. Kansas came from White Clover and Saratoga which had merged and reformed several times. They came from other bands like Plain Jane and Rain. Kerry had Saratoga and Steve had White Clover. Because of their friendship with early way leaders some may have attended a fellowship at some point but none were involved in the way that I know of. When I first started coming to fellowships in the early 70s we would many times head off to see them play after fellowship. We used to see them for a $2.00 cover charge, sometimes free. That was back in the days when the way kids sold carnations on the street corners. Kerry is active in the local church scene as a speaker. His book seeds of change would give you some info on his journey with some Kansas history. He has a studio here and has recently reformed some of those original Kansas members that never made it into the final famous group, into a new band. He plays with Kansas on occasion as a special guest as he did last night.

Carry on Wayward son was written way to long after any way involvement to be related. That song oddly enough almost never made it on the album. They were finishing up the songs for the record when Kerry said he had one more song they might like to hear. Everyone liked it so they took it to the studio and soon decided it would end up being the title track. From that album probably the song more about his spiritual journey was The Wall one of my favorite Kansas songs that drew a standing ovation last night. Written on his dads Lowery organ it was a song about his search for a meaning to life and the at the time feeling that he had reached a wall that he just could not penetrate to get beyond.

One probably unknown Kansas fact was that in December 1970 they opened for the Doors at the Warehouse in New Orleans Jim Morrison invited some of them on stage for a instrumental blues jam. Several months later at Jim's death they realized that they had shared the stage at the last Doors concert and the last song the Doors would ever do.

Hey Oak they played Lincoln Thursday night before our show, they said they used you guys as lab rats to hone the show. :biglaugh:

Their days of fellowship would have predated their days of fame no one in TWI would have promoted them the were not yet in the public eye . Only in the policemans eye on occasion. :biglaugh:

Edited by WhiteDove

My understanding, from my husband who got into TWI in the early 70s in Kansas, was that TWI Rev Steve Sann was related to one of the members of the band. Don't know if it is true.

Not to my knowledge just friends. Now they may have dated some of the same women but that's another story........ for another time. :o :redface:

Edited by WhiteDove