GreaseSpot Cafe

The Day the Music Died

Ron G.

February 2nd, 1959: Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and The Big Bopper play their last show as part of the "Winter Dance Party" tour, stopping this night at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, IA. Admission: $1.25. The last song of the night: The Big Bopper's "Chantilly Lace."

February 3rd, 1959: Within minutes of takeoff from the Mason City, IA Airport, at around 1:00 AM CST, the chartered Beech-Craft Bonanza airplane No. N3794N containing Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and The Big Bopper crashes into the Iowa countryside, killing all three in addition to pilot Roger Peterson. The plane, headed for the next "Winter Dance Party" tour stop in Fargo, ND, had been chartered by Holly in order for the band members to travel in heated comfort and to arrive early for their next gig.

When he learned that band member Waylon Jennings, who would eventually become a country star in his own right, had decided to take the freezing bus instead, Holly had joked, "Well, I hope your old bus freezes up." Jennings joked back, "Well, I hope your plane crashes." Another Holly band member, Tommy Allsup, flipped a coin with Valens for the last available seat, losing the coin toss. Valens exclaimed, "That's the first time I've won anything in my life!"

Pilot Peterson, not having been informed of worsening weather conditions, decided to fly "on instruments," meaning without visual confirmation of the horizon, which led to the crash. The tragedy was later immortalized as "The Day The Music Died" by Don McLean in his famous song "American Pie."

The Surf ballroom is 1 block from the cottage my great grandfather built in Clear Lake Iowa.

Mason City airport is (about) 5 miles away from Clear Lake.

The plane crash happened a few miles miles away from the Surf ballroom.

The Surf is still there today. They still have nationally known acts coming there.

The street it is on has been renamed Buddy Holly Drive.

Just thought I'd toss that tidbit of info in.

waysider are you a musician or something? I notice you like to sing!

OCW

There are lots and lots and lots of musicians here on GSC.

And yes, I do like to sing. (and play harmonica)

-------------------------------------

Mr. Miller

Thanks for that info.

Music trivia interests me greatly.

Here's a heap o' trivia on Holly fer ya'll - On Answers dot com

It's an easy read and it makes it easier to see the series of events over the years that have made Holly's popularity endure so. Considering his career really only lasted

18 months.

That is incredible. Not entirely unique but whoa daddy, it says a lot about his contribution.

Pretty nifty considering too that in that era the knowledge of him was less pervasive - no TV cable 24X7, no internet, no 1,000's of radio stations and all of the supporting DJ's, VJ's, newscasters and color commentators and people looking to broadcast every detail on every subject. Still the brief glimpse his audience got of him made an impression.

The article makes an observation about England - Holly was seen more accessible, understandable as a performer and personnae than someone like Elvis Presley, who was tremendously popular too. As in the U.S. he looked like someone you might know, like yourself even - the glasses, the hair, the excited perfomances. He was a young adult, but seemed so young and his songs so innocent - fun, serious in their optimism in the way that someone who hasn't been beaten up a 100 times through the Machinary can be. Cool, in a way anyone could enjoy and appreciate. Holly made lovin' fun, to be a kid, to date, to meet someone, have a life. From his youthful perspective he seemed to speak to everyone looking ahead to what life would bring.

Plus, he played a Sunburst Fender Stratocaster. :dance: A guitar destined to define a 1,000 sounds of rock and roll. Sturdy, utilitarian, economical for the time. Easy to make, easy to repair. Drop it, tune it, it's fine. The "everyman's" guitar for the extraordinary uses it's been put to over the years.

His memory is frozen in time now - forever young and full of promise. He's always seemed like an older uncle, someone in the musical world's family that was long ago, yet always remembered well and talked about as if he's still alive somewhere, kickin' it. Gone but not forgotten, like a never ending echo.

To one of the greats! Always and forever.... :)

Edited by socks