GreaseSpot Cafe

Narcisstic Self-Promotion

skyrider

as it currently seems to my me ...

that narcissm was/is one of the significant pandemics of our time

...and a historic anomoly in terms of depth, width and degree of severity

and as we've not yet quite psycho-spiritually recovered from the aftermath of this cultural tsunami (if we ever really do)

it seems the self-important self is one of the primary shapes in the passing away of an entire generation

as well as something the younger generations have inherited as norms to comform to, rebel against

or otherwise

gee ... thanks again, God ;)

and whether its the self-centered the "the law of believing"

or the "The greatest Secret in the world today..."or some other magic spell

a seed is a seed is a seed...and doctrines spread on the wind like any seed does

...even if it spreads merely self-centered salvation

that said...

as a person...vpw seems an archetypical blade of grass in a wide wide field of "i/me/mine" madness

...perhaps even a bit more exaggerated than some...a big-little giant in his own little fields

i also feel/think the topic is quite intimately related to the Toughen you up, weaklings getting victimized thread...

and i hope to post why i think/feel so some time soon...

as i think it might help us all understand part of how we all got into this mess

Edited by sirguessalot

What I find ironic is that the old Poop insisted that the Mrs. come with him to India, forcing her to leave her youngest child at home...but when they were home, he slept in the motorcoach with other women while the Mrs. slept in the house...

Listening to Mr. Wierwille describe his trip to India, one would get visions of Jesus walking through the center of town with people following him, seeking his blessing....of course, his point to telling this story in pfal was to demonstrate that the spiritually minded people of India recognized him as a "man o' gawd" and it was time for us sluggards in America to do likewise.

Much of the credibility given to Wierwille by his followers were based on Vic's bullsh *t stories...The trip to India, the snow on the gas pumps, the story of the snow blizzard in Tulsa (or wherever)...it was all part of the con. He counted on the young and naive kids sitting through "his" class to say "wow, if God talks to this guy, he must be right in what he teaches"...and we bought it.

The only difference I see between Mr. Wierwille and Simon the sorcerer is that Simon tried to use money to buy his way into the ministry and Wierwille used the ministry to make money for himself...which was worse?

Yes, this is a bit off topic... but...

I believe that Mrs.W was closer to being a true minister and vp used her to validate his actions.

I also believe that it is entirely possible that her presence in India made it easier for him to appear legitimate.

I have no proof (there, I said it WD) but my gut reaction is that vp was a rogue from the start. He may have truly searched for a way to be a good minister, but in the end he let his "first self" prevail.

Question - I'm confused about the snow on the gaspumps. Was that a separate incident from the Tulsa snowstorm? (I never paid much attention to either story.)

Question - I'm confused about the snow on the gaspumps. Was that a separate incident from the Tulsa snowstorm? (I never paid much attention to either story.)

doojable.......(from mrs. w's book)

Feb/Mar 1943..............after the wierwilles moved into the new parsonage (St. Jacob's Evangelical and Reformed Church in Payne, Ohio) vpw found a room a block away from the church, formerly a dentist's office which he rented. And, at this newly-rented office, this (allegedly) astounding phenomenon occurred....And I said, "Lord, to know that this is true, I'd like to see it snow." And I opened my eyes, and it was pitch-black, almost pitch-black outside, and the snow was falling so thick. I have never seen it fall that thick since that day.

......NOTE: Wierwille never told anyone of this experience until he told the Way Corps....(1970?? -- 27 years later??)

June 1951..................wierwille was in Tulsa at "The Divine Healing Convention" and was questing to find someone who would lead him into speaking in tongues. From mrs. w's book......p.79...Demoralized, Dr. Wierwille wanted to go home. But because of severe weather conditions that were moving in very quickly through the plains -- with freezing rain, sleet, and snow in Chicago, and air traffic delayed for hours to low visibility; icing conditins in Indianapolis and St. Louis, and with sleet forecast in Tulsa by Thursday -- the only thing Dr. Wierwille could do was to stay at the convention and be on standby for a flight when air traffic could begin moving again.

Edited by skyrider

Okay.....I'll try asking in another manner. :rolleyes:

All posters welcome........here goes:

WHY IS MRS. WIERWILLE'S ACCOUNTING OF TWI HISTORY so descriptive.....and DIFFERENT.....than vpw's?

There are several reasons I believe for why that may be possible for one VP was using the incident as a teaching point Mrs. Wierwille was however telling a detailed historical record. It would not be unusual to leave out the details in using the story for a teaching reference as the intent was not focused on the story itself as a historical record but only enough of the event needed to convey the point. That does not prove a case for Narcissistic behavior alone.

And....are Mrs. W's viewpoints disregarded as NOT authoritative?

I think her viewpoints are correct allowing for time, and editing considerations by the Way.

NOTE: More than likely, many posters here do not have a copy of Mrs. W's book......but with several excerpts on this thread, her all-around Christian demeanor comes through LOUD AND CLEAR......whereas, vicster's narcissistic chest-thumping bravado on the India trip is laced in pfal.

Don't know was not in India, neither was anyone else ,one can speculate either way, most likely depending on which side of the fence you live on. Your assesment of what the book "said " is yours ,based on your prior posts I'd take your bias into consideration before accepting your review. I'm sure the same applies both ways.