GreaseSpot Cafe

shazdancers bday

coolchef

Thanks, dear exy. I will be finishing the report on the survey in the next couple of weeks. The results were interesting. You Greasespotters and the students on my course were my "control group," and a couple of Lyme groups I frequent were the "patient group." The survey was meant to examine how Internet information is used by seriously ill patient groups in the patient-physician relationship.

What it showed is that most people who become seriously ill go first to their doctor, not to the Internet, for information. That was a surprise, actually, since many Lyme patients are accused of being hypochondriacs who are looking for a disease on the Internet to claim as their own. In reality, it was the less-ill control group that chose to go to the Internet first.

If the patients are not satisfied (which might happen with many of the more difficult or chronic diseases), then they go looking on the Internet and other sources. They invariably took what they found to their doctor, who often rejected the information they brought, sometimes pretty abruptly. The patient, more often than not, would then fire the doctor and go looking for a doctor who would listen. The controls, on the other hand, also brought Internet information to their doctors, but were pleased with the responses they got and stayed with their doctors. Of the few controls (five out of 35) who responded like the Lyme patients (doc-Internet-tell doc-fire doc), at least three were speaking about a serious illness.

This is the kind of nerdy stuff I've been up to....

:D

Shaz

Edited by shazdancer