GreaseSpot Cafe

Osteoarthritis

Cindy!

I was just diagnosed with this TODAY......does anyone have any info., treatment options, experience, or any other thing with this???

If so, please share!!!!

I have a lot to do....and no time for the pain that endeavors to limit me every day.

My doctor has prescribed some meds....which I begin tomorrow.

Any ideas??????

I was just diagnosed with this TODAY......does anyone have any info., treatment options, experience, or any other thing with this???

If so, please share!!!!

I have a lot to do....and no time for the pain that endeavors to limit me every day.

My doctor has prescribed some meds....which I begin tomorrow.

Any ideas??????

I would ask that you get other opinions.

I was initially diagnosed with osteo and it turned out to be something else - spent 15 years on various meds on the advice of well-heeled and well-pedigreed MD's and in enough chronic pain that I could not get my socks on without my kids.

Finally ended up with bilateral hip-replacement which was far more a miracle to me than anything in TWI. That is my story and most certainly may NOT be your story. Just suggesting you get some other medical opinions.

And there are enough goofballs on GSC (though I love the place) that will put you on some crazy onion juice diet that I strongly recommend that you stay away from anything other than professional medical advice - just dont feel the need to stick to one MD

If you need to talk about the pain please feel free to PM me. I know how it works all too well.

Best,

RR

Thanks polar bear and RR for the posts and advice!

RR...I NEVER accept a diagnosis unless I have at least two (in this case, three) medical opinions.

SO....anyone know anything about osteoarthritis???????

It's treatment, progression, etc????

I've looked it up....but would like to hear info from folks who have experienced it or are close to someone who has experienced it.

Please chime in!

I wish I had something for you, and I'm sure many of wish we did too Cindy!

I don't even know anyone who's dealt with this.

I really hope it goes well for you though!

Cindy -

Yes, PLEASE get a second opinion.

The diagnosis may be correct but you might want to explore your treatment options. I have an autoimmune condition but opted NOT to take the meds because of the side effects. Some folks do just fine on the meds - it's up to you.

This is totally my opinion and preferences (this is a disclaimer):

I hate taking any medication unless I have to and I especially hate anything that's long-term. The idea of something that will chemically alter my body really bothers me. I'd go far out of my way by altering my diet, exercise, other treatments, etc. than to take pills. Please don't think I'm being judgmental - I'm not at all - but this is just what doesn't work for me. I've found comfort in some supplements prescribed by my chiropractor, regular exercise, and controlling my stress levels. There's other things that are factors in flare ups - like sleep and diet - but overall, I feel better more often than not and I'm not dealing with the side-effects of the medications.

Do what works best for you, of course, but I would recommend like others have here, that you get a second opinion.

Thanks Chas, I appreciate your input.

As I mentioned in the post above, for this particular diagnosis, I've gotten three opinions and approaches to treatment.

All I'm really after here is info on the condition....but I've got that now, too! I contacted a few arthritis organizations and they were VERY helpful!!!

I have osteoarthritis in my knees. I've had anti inflamatories, cortizone shots and physical therapy. If you have alot of swelling, then the physical thereapy can teach you the excercises but they won't really be effective until you get the swelling down. Once i broke down and got cortizone shots the excercise es started working. I do water excercise( mainly heel to toe walking with water resistance) and rubberband stretching excercises, which help, and have braces etc for flares. Since I've lost quite a bit of cartiledge in my right knee I will probably need knee replacement eventually. The over the counter osteo herbal remedies don't seem to help me much, but advil helps.

It does slow me down, especially on any type of incline or rough surface, since things go best if there is no twisting or jarring. Not quick on my feet--slow and careful works much better.

Normal, everyday activity is fine as long as I don't stay in one position too long( stretch! stand up and walk around etc), and I watch for swelling and use the braces etc to help remove swelling. Ice is good, too.

Once something happens that aggravates it, it takes a while to get back to normal. Cortizone has been really helpful for pain and swelling when necessary.

Oh--really good shoes all the time, and ones that fit when your feet are swollen, and good ergonomecs on chairs etc at a desk help too.

A few thoughts for you Bramble. I will not comment on anti-inflammatories nor cortizone shots since I am not an MD.

I do water exercise as well as others which have helped a lot since the hip replacement. I know the drill on any incline or rough surface. Not fun to even step up over a curb eh? Agree COMPLETELY with not staying in one position too long.

If you are looking at knee replacement I can most certainly refer you to a surgeon who does knees/hips and did a top notch job on me.

I have osteoarthritis in my knees. I've had anti inflamatories, cortizone shots and physical therapy. If you have alot of swelling, then the physical thereapy can teach you the excercises but they won't really be effective until you get the swelling down. Once i broke down and got cortizone shots the excercise es started working. I do water excercise( mainly heel to toe walking with water resistance) and rubberband stretching excercises, which help, and have braces etc for flares. Since I've lost quite a bit of cartiledge in my right knee I will probably need knee replacement eventually. The over the counter osteo herbal remedies don't seem to help me much, but advil helps.

It does slow me down, especially on any type of incline or rough surface, since things go best if there is no twisting or jarring. Not quick on my feet--slow and careful works much better.

Normal, everyday activity is fine as long as I don't stay in one position too long( stretch! stand up and walk around etc), and I watch for swelling and use the braces etc to help remove swelling. Ice is good, too.

Once something happens that aggravates it, it takes a while to get back to normal. Cortizone has been really helpful for pain and swelling when necessary.

Oh--really good shoes all the time, and ones that fit when your feet are swollen, and good ergonomecs on chairs etc at a desk help too.

I have had hip perthes since I was a child. The top of my femur is somewhat flat and my hip socket is round.

There have been times when it just freezes up and makes it pretty tough to walk. I have taken every type of anti-inflammatory meds but the side effects were more of a risk than I wanted to take.

I have been going to a functional medicine doctor and I just recently ask him if there was an alternative to the traditional anti-inflammatories.

He recommended ETA-DHA 720 concentrated Omega 3 fish oils. I have been taking 6 capsules a day for just over a week which I would consider mega-dosing.

I also have other inflammation issues with my hands and so far it appears to be working. There are no magic bullets and what I have shared with you is anecdotal.

This may be something to consider as another option.

I wish you the best

I wish you good luck with this.

I have some osteo in my hands, and when I remember to faithfully take my glucosamine and chondroitin, my hands don't hurt. It takes a few weeks to start to work; it has to build up. One of the reasons I can get out of the habit of taking the supplements is that if one forgets for a few days, there's no immediate change; it's still got a built-up level. I travelled over Christmas, and didn't take it, and then just forgot when we returned home. I went about three months without the glucosamine and chondroitin. My hands tried to remind me, and finally the discomfort got loud enough to get my attention about two weeks ago. They are better as I type this, but they'll be a lot better in two or three more weeks.

My doctor said that there are several good studies which have shown that glucosamine and chondroitin can't hurt you, and a few that seem to show that it can help. I appear to be one of those whom it can help.

If you try it, I hope that it helps you, too.

Edited by notinKansasanymore

jeast! I have the exact same thing... perthes ... since I was 12. Mine is in the right hip. I also have osteoarthritis in that joint. I am "only" 37 years old, so no Dr will do hip replacement yet. So there is pain all the time. I do manage it with anti inflamatory meds, as needed.

One thing that may help others with osteo and have a hard time finding exercises... I have an eliptical machine... and I have ZERO hip pain when using it.

Hey - just a thought on anti inflammatories - and I stress I am NOT an MD or even close...but I had good results from Mobic which is a non-steroidal anti. Steroids and I just didn't get along - especially prednisone - often prescribed for joint pain. For many it seems to work well - so I am in no way discounting this. Just a few random thoughts.

Passthetrash - Look up Dr Richard Walker - Scripps Green in San Diego - newer technologies show a 20-30 year lifetime of hip replacement prosthesis - you get one revision - if you are 37 and can make 57 then one more revision to 77 - well you decide. I got mine at 50 and the change in lifestyle was well worth it.

jeast! I have the exact same thing... perthes ... since I was 12. Mine is in the right hip. I also have osteoarthritis in that joint. I am "only" 37 years old, so no Dr will do hip replacement yet. So there is pain all the time. I do manage it with anti inflamatory meds, as needed.

One thing that may help others with osteo and have a hard time finding exercises... I have an eliptical machine... and I have ZERO hip pain when using it.

Cindy I clicked on your name to send you a PM and it came up there is no such member... ?????...

Anyway this may help

Try calling Peachtree Natural Foods they have books at the counter to medically answer questions from Dr. McBarron

Duke and the Doctor own it and have a radio show

out of Columbus Georgia

They answer all kinds of things holistically and medically.

They may have something on their site

Here is what I know.

My Mom has it....dx'ed about 20 years ago....

She thanks God for Celebrex..other drugs on't work for her or have too many side effects.

She has is worst in her knees. She has had arthroscopic surgury - I even saw the video woo woo.

She has had synvisc injections---they lasted about 4 months for her and one knee worked better than the other.

she swims 3 times a week usually about a mile a time (50-60 laps or something) her arteries and veins are good..just not her joints.

She is 70 -- ummm still smokes, was heavy like a size 20 as a working adult. (I think that cant help and probably aggravated it a little)

I want her to get knee replacements - my aunt did and several others I know and swear by them. But Mom is not one to tell something to. (barely suggest even)

thats what I know.

I have yet to try an eliptical machine, I am now 55 and have just toughed it out trying to run, bike etc, to stay fit...I was in the 2nd grade when the discovered it and I wore a sling to hold my leg up and was on crutches for two years. They also gave me calcium supplements to take. I can relate to what Cindy is going through. Maybe together we can come with some better solutions. My range of motion has become very limited and I have difficulty tying my shoe on my left foot.

Hang in there Cindy, you may not totally eliminate the discomfort but I am confident you will find a way to make it managable.

My mobility and comfort level has improved a lot from what it was at the worse two years ago. I haven't tried the omega three(thanks for the idea), but I do think I have less inflamation when I eat well and hydrate, do the excercises etc. I've lost weight, too, which probably helped. Shoes make a big difference for me in comfort level.

One thing that I found through many years of fluctuating concerning stretching, nutrition etc.

It really pays to stay on top of your exercises. I would go a while and get better then slack off and wonder why I was hurting more.

Knee or hip pain will cause us to put more stress on other parts of our body in order to compensate or try to relieve the affected area.

In my case my hip has caused me to have back issues. It is important to keep the surrounding muscles strong and flexible. This may sound like a no brainer

but it is easy to let it go but you will pay the price later.

Another thing for you to consider may be orthotics or special footwear. My son had a pretty nasty motorcycle wreck in 95. Really messed up his left foot and leg. We found this shoe called Z -Coil

which is a really funky looking shoe but it has helped his back and legs a bunch.

One of the hardest things for those of us with bad wheels is finding a way to keep aerobically fit.

I have had ACL surgery on my right knee and at the time I was very fit and I believe my recovery was made much easier because I had good blood flow.

But now with my hip I struggle to keep my fitness up and my muscles in that area are getting weaker and smaller.

All of this is meant to encourage you. I am by no means an authority on the subject but I have dealt with a similar issue for over 45 years.

I am not sure if any of this will work for you but I wanted to throw it out there for your consideration.

Good luck

Edited by jeast

due to the loss of cartilage and the oste.. my mom's one leg is off by 10 whole degrees below the knee...she has told me she should have had beterr "sports therapy" when she was younger for her knees.

She was a risk management quality assurance administrator for 3 teAching hospitals (at one time)

I'd suggest a good chiropractor who can keep your spine in alignment and maybe get you some massage and stuff. I probably have some OA in my fingers, but it doesn't much bother me. They just look a bit funny from all the typing I do. Chiropractors are good with supplements, too.

I will be praying for you.

WG