GreaseSpot Cafe

Passover starts tonight

Tonight at sunset marks the beginning of Passover 2008.

Tonight Jewish families will sit down together for the traditional Passover Seder meal.

My family has been having our own Passover Seder for years now. I have found it to be an especially meaningful time, especially to teach my kids about what Jesus Christ did for us as the Passover Lamb, and how He inaugurated the New Covenant at his Passover Seder with His disciples on the eve of his crucifixion.

Does anyone else celebrate Passover?

Tonight Jewish families will sit down together for the traditional Passover Seder meal.

My family has been having our own Passover Seder for years now. I have found it to be an especially meaningful time, especially to teach my kids about what Jesus Christ did for us as the Passover Lamb, and how He inaugurated the New Covenant at his Passover Seder with His disciples on the eve of his crucifixion.

I have corporately, but not individually. I plan on having communion tonight though.

Passover and the Feast Days - Tonight at sundown starts the first night of Unleavened Bread.

RachelYsrael

We had communion the Thursday before Easter, and began it with the Seder elements. I found it really weird, as the church we belong to doesn't have a freaking clue about Jesus Christ being our Passover. I didn't like it at all. They also believe, of course, that the last meal Jesus ate with his disciples was the Seder.

A woman at each table had to light a candle. I burned myself.

Maybe if I had known they were doing it in advance and thus what to expect, I would have enjoyed it more. But I really didn't understand very much of it, like the bowl of salt water and the parsley.

WG

The salt water represents tears and the parsley bitter herbs.

The bitter herbs were all the slaves were given for food. The salt water represents not only the tears of the slaves, but those of the Egyptians who lost their first born children. The matzo for the unleavened bread they took with them when they fled egypt. The Haroset for the sweetness of freedom.

When we celebrate Passover we are to view it as if WE (not just our ancestors) are the ones who were freed from slavery, freed from Egypt. So it is a time of sorrow and joy. Bitterness and thankfullness. It is a time to reflect not only upon our own freedom, but to look forward to a day when all people are free.

Dear Wrdsandwrks,

I've rarely felt as deaply moved as the time I ate a passover meal with some messianic jews who ate the whole meal focussing on how everything there refered to Jesus Christ.

Personally I don't feel compelled to keep the feast religiously, but I can't help but remember the tremendous blessing that the meal was to me.