GreaseSpot Cafe

Safari?

doojable

My kids are excited about the Safari browser by Apple. It's fast! It's apparently the same browser that comes downloaded in the iPhone.

I've just gotten used to Firefox and I like how it helps me keep junk out of my computer. Does anyone have any info on Safari?

Safari for Windows does seem to load faster than Firefox for me, but the nanoseconds of time don't mean that much to me. I like that it comes loaded with googlemaps, wiki and youtube on the toolbar, but I imagine those can be put up on firefox as well. (or removed from safari likely enough if you want).

I have been playing with both and it seems to be mostly a matter of where I am going and what I want to do. Getting used to Firefox hiding images and links until I remember to click on that yellow bar drives me nuts. Some day I will look to see how to turn that off.

~HAP

I run Safari, FireFox, and Opera on my Apple and Safari, FireFox and Internet Explorer on Windows (my iMac is set up to run both the Apple OS and Windows). Safari is consistently fast but I notice little/no difference with FireFox. I should mention I do all my internet access via an AirPort (the best thing since sliced bread!), hooked to cable modem.

MacLife magazine recently compared these programs, and a few other browsers, for speed, security, usability, etc. Safari basically won but FireFox was a close second. Opera was noted to have a good computing experience - and was kudos for its speed and safety. Safari was slammed for not being able to be easily personalized and for having few plug-ins available.

The thing that stuck with me most about the article was that due to Safari being part of the iPhone thing, and iPhones being hacked, that will make Safari a target. Look for problems with it in the future and lots of security patches.

(While I'm thinking of it - tell your son to go into "Disk Utility" in his Applications and "Repair Disk Permissions" whenever he's done any kind of software updates. This will help keep his Apple speedy.)

In short - use what works for you. I use Safari for most thing but some EZBoard (now Yuku) are better in FireFox.