GreaseSpot Cafe

navigating greasespot

kimberly

Out of a 10 I am a 1/2 when it comes to computer literate. O. k., when I log on to Greasespot, how do I get to my account? I see folks have added little quotations at the end of their posts. How do I do that? I just noticed tonight that under my name it says, wants to eat at the counter. What does that mean?

I noticed that other posts on this site deal with more complicated stuff than I am asking. I hope this is the proper site to ask this. I appreciate your help.

Lovies,

Kimberly

kimberly,

i'm pretty computer illiterate, too... LOL

but if you go to the top of the screen (on the right hand side), you should be able to click on "my controls", and that should bring you to your account (and the place where you can add avatars and quotations to your posts...

peace,

jen-o

p.s. maybe someone else can explain things better... like i said, i am computer illiterate also... :biglaugh:

Out of a 10 I am a 1/2 when it comes to computer literate. O. k., when I log on to Greasespot, how do I get to my account? I see folks have added little quotations at the end of their posts. How do I do that? I just noticed tonight that under my name it says, wants to eat at the counter. What does that mean?

I noticed that other posts on this site deal with more complicated stuff than I am asking. I hope this is the proper site to ask this. I appreciate your help.

Lovies,

Kimberly

Once you're logged in, the upper right has your options. My Controls is your account generally.

(If you Right-Click on that, the second option is "Open in New Window", which will allow you

to keep this page open as a guide while you open that one.)

The thing added automatically to the ends of posts on messageboards is called a "signature."

(Just as that's the last thing at the bottom of a formal letter.)

Once you select My Controls, study the left column menu that comes up.

The Personal Profile sub-menu includes "Edit Signature" and "edit avatar settings."

From "Edit Signature", you can type what you'd like, or do some other stuff.

Me, I just type for my signature.

You can also use "edit avatar settings" to set an avatar. A forum avatar is the little picture

that appears by your screen-name, next to your posts.

The GSC has a few pre-installed galleries you can select from for now.

(I recommend looking around and not picking one someone else is using.)

You can also upload an avatar from somewhere else.

Like most people with a PERSONAL avatar (mine was commissioned from an artist),

I will ask you not copy MINE. (I paid for it, I own it.)

Once you have a little practice online, feel free to ask me or someone else to help

you find something that works for you.

Or, to find an artist to draw something for you that's really specific and personal.

avatars???? I went there but did not understand. What is URL?

A URL is the exact web-address of something.

The URL of the mainpage of this website is

http://www.greasespotcafe.com/

Individual items on a page may have a URL also.

If so, then you can link to that exact item instead of the page.

That's NOT recommended for things like personal avatars, because every

single time someone calls up a page with your avatar on it (which is every page

you post on), the forum has to use up some of ITS bandwidth to pull up the image,

and the site that HOSTS the image has to use up some of ITS bandwidth to allow it to

be accessed. If you must link to an offsite image, it's good manners to capture the

image to your computer, and then uplink the image to a hosting service

(there's a number of FREE ones designed for it),

then get the URL from them for the image

(it will be provided when you upload it-don't lose the information).

Then you go to the messageboard and provide the URL for it.

I find it a LOT more practical to upload the image directly to the messageboard,

so there's no back-and-forth while you access a page.

For that, you capture an image to your computer,

then upload it to your profile.

Since that's a little tricky, I recommend waiting until you get the hang of the

messageboard first.

I just noticed tonight that under my name it says, wants to eat at the counter. What does that mean?

That is a "title" that is automatically inserted according to your "post count" ( how many posts youve made)

It says "Wants to sit at the counter", because this site is called "Grease Spot Cafe" which means its a place that has a counter to serve customers, so its a kind of a little figure of speech to say your kinda new, and your not yet fully experiencing the posting and responses that are the equivalent of talking to people in a Cafe

I hope Ive communicated that ok

In any case Welcome to the Cafe! :wave:

P.S. Its also interesting to click on your name (Up on top to the left just next to where it says "Logged in as:") This will take you to your "Profile" where you can see stuff like....Topics, Posts, Gallery, Comments, Friends, Settings

:)

Edited by Steveo

Thank you all so much for your help and information. It is a lot since I am not real up on the terminology. But I am a quick and determined learner. I have learned much just from trial and error. I am just scared that I will hit the wrong key and send something I shouldn't and get in trouble. I am doofy like that sometimes.

O.k., I think I inserted my personal statement correctly but I am not so sure about my picture. I went to my pictures because there is one there I like. I suppose we shall find out if I inserted it correctly when this posts.

Thanks muchy,

Kimberly