GreaseSpot Cafe

Inexpensive wireless Internet access?

Linda Z

My son is looking for a way to get access on his laptop. Verizon's price for this access starts at $39.95/month, which seems pretty pricey to me. My friend at work has a card she pops in, but it only works in "hot spots" like airports, hotels, and Internet cafes. That's not reliable enough for what he needs.

Does anyone know if there a less expensive alternative to Verizon's wireless Internet service?

Edited by Linda Z

Hi there, fellow North Coaster!

We have our ISP as part of our cable TV package. We run the cable into a N3tg3ar router that has 4 hard-wire ports as well as wireless.Right now, we run 1 PC(mine) and 2 laptops off of it. Our house isn't very big. I don't know if that enters into the picture or not. Can you tell I'm not too savvy about this stuff? :biglaugh:

Thanks, former fellow Cleveburger! However, my son doesn't have cable. He wants to find the cheapest, yet still reliable, way to access the Internet from a laptop without signing up for cable or adding a minimum $39.95 charge to his Verizon bill.

Anyone?

Does he have phone service? Usually you can get DSL added onto your phone service for under $20.00

Thanks, Paw, but no, he doesn't use a land line. He only uses a cell phone, and Verizon wants $39.95 per month minimum added to his bill for wireless access.

I thought you could pay for a card to stick in, but now I'm wondering if those are only good for use in places with "hot spots."

I don't have it, but I think you are referring to Wi-Fi .. if he was close enough to someone that has it he might pick it up, I think. I know someone in an apartment that just picks hers up from a neighbor ... :eusa_clap:

But I get my land line plus DSL for $40/month. Possible he could save on his cell if he had a regular land line.

I live in a rural area but pick up anywhere from two to five other wireless networks.

Not sure where you live, but perhaps satellite internet might be the solution. It's popular around here because of issues with people living on islands where they don't have cable available.

Google it and explore a little -

The best he'll find is who is running specials that will save him $$ over time with the company but nothing outstanding, especially at the residential level.

Check out this article in PC World for more info: http://pcworld.about.com/magazine/2306p080id120341.htm