GreaseSpot Cafe

Music can heal!

waysider

thanks indeed waysider

to add...

having had the honor of meeting and studying and practicing with a world-class group of music thanatologists in the context of hospice and hospital history

and being a lifelong musician

...i was pleased to see this article in the mainstream

ive seen and experienced music thanatology

demonstrated in relationship to diatonic scale and such

for one thing

seems to seem to me

that as we invoke the known range of modes, or moods, of music,

we are also evoking the same range of emotions, thoughts, intuitions, memories, dreams, etc..

and our organs and juices and systems squish and squirm inside of us

flinching, flexing and flowing in corresondance to this range

which i feel points to perhaps why every animal on earth creates and dances to music

...humans, included

because we FEEL sound

and not just with our ears

but in our very bones

i see you music lovers out there nodding your head

:B)

anyway

seems religion as music thanatology (not to mention the counterpart...midwifery) is as old as cave painting

not only are the histories of the biblical psalms "soaking wet" with it

but every musical history seems to have discovered/developed full ranges of musical moods and modes

significant ranges of applications

i highly recommend it

anyway ..a personal note

..a few weeks ago

i was invited to fill the role of chaplain for my wife's grandmother and family

and playing music and singing familiar songs together played a significant role at times

singing while crying laughing cussing hoping praying grieving and such

while saying goodbye

helped heal things in everyone

in spite of the loss

thanks again WS

Edited by sirguessalot

Of course, allopathic medicine seems on occasion to think this is something new. Where I used to work, they made a bit of a splash with their music program, as if they had discovered it themselves. They did in fact have people who would come and play music for the dying.

A personal, and somewhat painful note: When my beloved, 87-year-old aunt was dying of complications from a massive stroke, I had Hospice bring her to my home. I arranged the living room with soft lights and spring flowers (it was April and we had a lot of daffodils and tulips). I playing soft music on my stereo. I wouldn't let anyone come in the nearby front door and when people did come to call, I made sure they spoke softly and positively. I had one TWI tape, of the quartet, because she knew one of them and like the family.

When she breathed her last, it was to Pachelbel's Canon, and me telling her the next thing she saw would be the face of Jesus Christ.

I'm so thankful I could do that for her. the soft lights, flowers, and especially music seemed to relax her somewhat.

WG

When I had my first baby, I learned of something called a "birth plan" where the mother can list her wishes on who she wants in the room when the baby is born, how she'd like the the lighting, and if she wants music to be playing, etc. This is more of a "boutique" hospital thing, in my opinion, when it comes to birthing babies and although I had my wishes listed, I don't think a single one of them was a reality, as my first baby was a preemie - something we hadn't planned for.

Now hear of people making plans for how they want things - their final wishes while on this earth - as they are dying. It makes perfect sense as it's the last thing they'll ever have control over and therefore, its very meaningful to them. It falls into the realm of "Palliative Care" and it's something more hospitals are implementing. It's not just for the dying - it's also for the ones who are healing - but it's something that's been recognized as a need.

My feelings or impression of this is that, if it helps to make the patient comfortable, then it's a positive thing and should be embraced. People do not heal well when they're in pain and discomfort. They also don't die with dignity when they're in pain and discomfort. If music brings them relief from whatever suffering they're experiencing, then it's a good thing.