GreaseSpot Cafe

Animal Farm

Bumpy

I've been thinking about this USA housing / property mess. I just saw a very interesting show here about an animal farm in France, where they raise or house all different types of animals, from pigs to deer, etc., etc.

I might be interested in a piece of land of 100+ acres, with forest, river, hills, not too hot or dry. Any ideas where I might start looking?? :)

Its a wide world--almost anywhere may do..

I have friend with about 130 acres for sale in upstate NY that is pretty much as you described, ie.rolling hills, two fair sized forests, plenty of grazing land.

Being in the northern latitudes its not too hot-- (its been awhile since I have been there--Im not exactly sure about a river--but it is not dry). Its a rural area surrounded by other farmland and has beautiful distant views of the of the hills of Vermont and Upstate NY

I doubt she has any type of link on the net up. If you're interested --I'll ask her about it.

HERE is some info and maps on the township to give you an idea of where it is.....

Edited by mstar1

Its a wide world--almost anywhere may do..

I have friend with 130 acres for sale in upstate NY that is pretty much as you described, ie.rolling hills, two fair sized forests, plenty of grazing land, Being in the northern latitudes its not too hot-- (its been awhile since I have been there--Im not exactly sure about a river--but it is not dry). Its a rural area surrounded by other farmland and has beautiful distant views of the of the hills of Vermont and Upstate NY

I doubt she has any type of link on the net up. If you're interested --I'll ask her about it.

HERE is some info and maps on the township

Thanks MSTAR! I like up-state NY too, I was thinking about that, New England and Kentucky? I know it's a great big world. I was in Oregon, Idaho and Washington State last Sept. That was great but I don't know anyone out there. I'm more of an east coast person.

This might be an investment idea I could work on for years to come. A couple of barns, old houses would be a plus. Also another reason to visit the states!

Iwas looking for a picture of the land and cant find one..

THIS is NOT the exact land, but similar type land in the same general area, although hers is higher with much better views

It really is a beautiful piece of property--the winters are rough in New England is the only real drawback.

Its far enough out where you could be pretty much self sustaining if necessary but if you get the urge for some city life you are about equal 2 and a half hour drives (give or take) from New York City , Boston, or Montreal

That NY/mass/vermont corner where it is located is a real nice spot

Edited by mstar1

How do you make money off of raising all these different animals?

I have no idea! I never even thought about the idea of making $$. Just investing in a nice piece of land, learning how to smoke a pipe in the rocker, and waiting for another idea to come.

Designer animals, pigs, llamas, alpaca, deer, ...

www.ilovealpacas.com

Bump

I have no idea! I never even thought about the idea of making $. Just investing in a nice piece of land, learning how to smoke a pipe in the rocker, and waiting for another idea to come.

Designer animals, pigs, llamas, alpaca, deer, ...

www.ilovealpacas.com

Bump

I think rascal has some animals ... make she could tell you where to go ... :)

That area I posted would be a good area for that type of thing..

The land 50 miles south is going for huge amounts of money as a place for (mostly) New Yorkers to flee from the city and find a pastoral refuge.... Its getting saturated--the only place for them to go soon is a little further North, which they havent quite reached yet---right where that land is....

The land in my estimation will only increase in value as the demand up there grows....I think the land is a good investment ( although I really dont know enought about the real estate mess to make a completely accurate evaluation.

There seem to be alot of people in this area who do raise llamas, oxes and other nontraditional farm animals that seem to be making a go of it somehow or other...

There is alreaady plenty of deer on the land --foxes, fisher cats, porcupines-and occasional bears ----....Its rumored there is a good sized bobcat or two but Ive never seen them

Edited by mstar1

You should try it in Texas. The land is super-cheap, and you get used to the heat. I realized the latter part of that when it was over 90 degrees outside, almost 100% humidity, and I wasn't sweating or feeling too hot. I'm a northerner basically (not completely, but it's complicated) whose ancestors lived in the ice and snow (or perhaps Spain, where the Gaelic people seem to have originated from.) Anyway, my point is that you'll adapt to wherever you go, if you stay there long enough.

You should try it in Texas. The land is super-cheap, and you get used to the heat. I realized the latter part of that when it was over 90 degrees outside, almost 100% humidity, and I wasn't sweating or feeling too hot.

Mister P...I'm looking at your picture and reading about survival in those temperatures. Are you from planet earth or is your skin some sort of Velcro composite immune to glands normally secreting excess heat! :biglaugh: As Rhino keeps saying, global warming is a reality, which might make Texas a future desert cake crawling with dehydrated latinos looking for unoccupied American houses.

Liked the Pig George. Part of the designer overall plan I have for the "Animal Farm". Genetic engineering is the future, and an animal farm with unusual creatures bearing unusual features, could be the business angle?

At the moment, I'm working on an artistic rendering of a horny Rhino crossed with the features of a giraffe looking out a bedroom window checking the weather. Bump :)

Mister P...I'm looking at your picture and reading about survival in those temperatures. Are you from planet earth or is your skin some sort of Velcro composite immune to glands normally secreting excess heat! :biglaugh: As Rhino keeps saying, global warming is a reality, which might make Texas a future desert cake crawling with dehydrated latinos looking for unoccupied American houses.

Liked the Pig George. Part of the designer overall plan I have for the "Animal Farm". Genetic engineering is the future, and an animal farm with unusual creatures bearing unusual features, could be the business angle?

At the moment, I'm working on an artistic rendering of a horny Rhino crossed with the features of a giraffe looking out a bedroom window checking the weather. Bump :)

Rhinos smell nice, but pigs stink. Unless you have lost your sense of smell, or find a clean system, you may not want pigs. Most neighbors protest when hog operation goes in anywhere near them.

It seems they must like that pig for the particular mix of meat and fat. $40/lb sounds pretty high on the hog ... so maybe it is a tall pig.

I hear the faltering house building industry and general economic slowness is suppressing the deer hunting here for next year ... some of these wealthy guys are less wealthy now, and trying to sell the huge houses they built.

I assume I am from planet Earth, at least that's what my mother told me. When I first came to Texas, I sweated like one of those pigs you all keep talking about. However, I assume my core temperature changed, and now I'm better able to tolerate the heat, but not so much the cold. When it's in the 70's, I have to wear long sleeves to be comfortable now, where that used to mean it was time to wear shorts. Now, I generally don't sweat until it's in the mid to upper 90's, or I'm doing a lot of physical activity in which case all bets are off.

As far as the future of Texas is concerned, it's such a huge state that I wouldn't worry about it. While west Texas is already a desert, here on the Eastern side it's the same climate much of Florida has. It's just that our beaches aren't as nice. You could move somewhere around Austin though which is very beautiful country, and not swampy like here. It still gets it's fair share of rain and heat though.

I assume I am from planet Earth, at least that's what my mother told me. :biglaugh: ... and not swampy like here. It still gets it's fair share of rain and heat though.

What exactly is running around in that swamp, anyway? Can you post some pictures (for Rhino)? Soon his farm may be looking like where you live!

What exactly is running around in that swamp, anyway? Can you post some pictures (for Rhino)? Soon his farm may be looking like where you live!

Well, while I'm not going to post photos that I took (I don't want to have my real name associated with my GSCafe nickname) I did a quick Google search and found a few photos from a state park that is about 20 minutes or so from my house. So, these are the sort of critters we have running around down here:

brazos_bend_alligator.jpg

If you're curious, yes, that is an alligator right next to the footpath. They're all over the place and you can walk around them without worrying too much. I assume the park rangers feed them or something, because there are no barriers between you and the gators.

Perhaps they go to someone's animal farm and chow down at night.

Bump, I wonder if you're really cut out for that kind of life. You seem to have disdain and contempt for US culture at every step and I've gotta say, your neighbors will pick up on that. You saying that you'd like to move to the US and raise animals because of the real estate mess is like me saying I want to move to France and start a church because of all the Muslim immigrants that are there.

Jim, how are you? Yikes, a direct blast over the bow! Please remember Bumpy is only a "Toon"! (Maybe I really live just down the street?) I'm feeling like this croissant I just ate was too much...

There is "culture" and there is Kultur. What if I just buy enough land where I don't have any neighbors? At the moment, I'm searching my morning coffee brain for a rebuttal, and can't find one. Maybe it's because I moved yesterday to the north side of Brittany and the oysters taste different?

Actually, you may have a point? I need to think about this American culture difference? Btw. How serious are you about moving to France and starting a Muslim church? Maybe I could help?

Actually, you may have a point? I need to think about this American culture difference? Btw. How serious are you about moving to France and starting a Muslim church? Maybe I could help?

Actually, I'd be curious as to what this "American culture" is as well. I've lived all over the country, on all three of the mainland coasts, and have never seen one unified culture. Even in the same city, there are various cultures.

Jim, how are you?
Very good, and thanks for asking.
Please remember Bumpy is only a "Toon"! (Maybe I really live just down the street?) I'm feeling like this croissant I just ate was too much...

You're going to have to help me out here, Bump. Last time I accused you of being a troll, I got flamed. I'm just trying to be a nice guy.

There is "culture" and there is Kultur. What if I just buy enough land where I don't have any neighbors?

Well, you said you didn't want to live in the Northwest because you didn't know anyone.

I think you could do well raising rabbits. What is it you call them, lapin?