GreaseSpot Cafe

Trolls in the scriptures

I've been thinking for a while on how to start a discussion about trolls. I use this term troll not according to mythology, but according to common internet usage as I understand it. I've chosen to do this in the doctrinal section as I believe it is the best shot we have at this discussion being a help to folks, and not have it become an excercize in finger pointing or fruitless accusations.

I really hope that those of you who respond to this topic here can resist the urge to point out who you think are the trolls here at the greasespot as I believe that a solid look at the trolls (so to speak) in the scriptures might help any of us deal with difficult personalities.

Besides, I've found that I'm not above acting somewhat troll-like if something aggravates me and it gets under my skin. I've never met a person who was above being tempted with this either.

________________________________________________________________________________

Troll #1

The apostle Paul before he believed on the Lord Jesus Christ.

I picked him first because of the fact that not only did he cast Christians in prison and compell them to blashpheme, but later he turned from this ruthless behavior and had the courage to own up to it when he spoke to the church. He spoke of the Lord having mercy on him because he did it ignorantly in unbelief even though he referred to himself as "chief among sinners" when he did these bad things.

I would like to think that the Lord could lead any of us to the place where we could seek a good end to those who trouble us too.

________________________________________________________________________________

Troll #2

Elymas the sorcerer *Acts 13: 8-13

Here was a troll who sought to withstand the Apostle Paul and was blinded by the power of God.

Elymas was not like Paul used to be. He was a deliberate pervert and enemy of God. He was judged by the Lord accordingly.

I think it is noteworthy to see how that Paul did not treat him like former TWI leaders have treated those who they falsey accused of being trolls in the ministry. For the most part IMO TWI methods of dealing with a trouble maker (so-called) lacked any of God's blessing even though their methods were destructive and ruthless.

I believe that when the Lord judges this TWI leadership that they will not be spared either.

Troll #3

Simon the sorcerer *Acts 8: 9-24

Her was a seducer and a deciever who believed the things that Phillip spoke, yet he became a believer.

Yet even though he believed, his heart was not right and he was told by Peter that he would be judged by the Lord. I don't know how the story ended for Simon, but at least he sought mercy from the Lord and the apostle Peter.

Troll #4

Judas

From the beginning the Lord knew that Judas would betray him, but as an obedient son he carried out what God wanted him to suffer. The victory is the Lord's because of His obedience.

I don't think that any of us have been hurt like this by our trolls, but the Lord is keeping the score.

(These caps are for emphasis only)

I THINK THAT WE MUST ALL DEAL WITH TROLLS.

I THINK THAT IN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER WE HAVE ALL BEEN TROLLS OURSELVES.

I THINK THAT THE LORD HIMSELF IS THE ONLY ONE QUALIFIED TO SAY WHAT A MAN OR WOMAN'S FATE WILL BE.

I THINK THAT WE CAN LEARN FROM THESE THINGS AND APPLY THEM IN OUR DAY TO DAY LIFE INCLUDING HERE AT THE GREASESPOT TO BETTER HANDLE TROLLS.

I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR OF OTHER TROLLS IN THE SCRIPTURES THAT YOU THINK ABOUT TOO.

I personally don't care who they are here at the cafe. If someone is writing merely to cause trouble, for the sake of trouble, outside of being banned, you have some choices to make.

1. read and don't respond

2. read and respond patiently

As far as trolls in the scriptures, I think most people at one time or another have dealt with trolls like Judas Iscariot, I know I have. Trolls like the ones in Nehemiah who came against him and tried to stop the building of the temple and the ministry that he was trying to build, resorting to lies, persecution, destructive means of stopping the building so that they had to physically guard the work area, writing to the king in an attempt to stop Nehemiah from building, I can currently relate to in a very real and personal way. What is worse, these people attend some church or other and probably believe themselves to be Christian. I think of that verse in Matthew? (I don't have my bible with me at the moment), where the Lord Jesus states, "There will be some who think that to kill you they are doing the work of God." This would be like Saul before he converted, a very devout Jew but nevertheless very wrong. I'm facing these too, right now. I keep on praying for them, but will admit sometimes I just want justice done. If not here, then in the heavenly court with the Lord and King, Jesus presiding on the bench.

Like I stated on the computer thread I am barely a hair above computer illiterate. I don't even know how to copy and paste.

So what is a troll in computer language? I understand it in mythology.

Hiya, kimberly

Are you familiar with the expression "pushing someone's buttons"?

That's what trolls do. Either to get a predictable response and stir the pot or to get a piece of information they are lacking.

Get the picture?

By the way, is your husband older or younger than you? :wink2:

Edited by waysider

I am chuckling Waysider as I post this. Not to make fun, oh, no. I thought it funny, why out of the blue, you would ask me this. My husband is 3 1/2 years older than I. Are you trollin' on me? Laugh now, laugh...considering the topic.

Blessings

An internet troll is not part of the community they are trying to stir up. Their only point in being there is to cause trouble--they are not making friends, or sharing common experiences. They are acting out of distain and dislike for the community, they do not respect the others posting. They 'win' by causing as much confusion, hard feelings and chaos as possible, and they like to keep the focus on themselves.

Kimberly--here is a pretty good basic computer skills site if you would be interested in such a thing:

http://www.internet4classrooms.com/entry_l...pc_index_ie.htm

Also, if you search a term like cut and paste in google you can find information.

So what is a troll in computer language? I understand it in mythology.

A troll can look a little like grumpy, behave sometimes like a bumpy, rhyme like an illiterit monkey and dress a little frumpy...

I'm not completely sure myself? But it does sound a bit WayBrained because no one has ever really seen one in the flesh. Sort of like a purple cow? I never hope to see one, but I can tell you any how, I'd rather see one than be one.

(Folks might want to check what's left of their 401k retirement lunch bag. Inflation, stagnation, depreciation, etc.,may affect freshness?)

...said a troll :evilshades:

A troll can look a little like grumpy, behave sometimes like a bumpy, rhyme like an illiterit monkey and dress a little frumpy...

I'm not completely sure myself? But it does sound a bit WayBrained because no one has ever really seen one in the flesh. Sort of like a purple cow? I never hope to see one, but I can tell you any how, I'd rather see one than be one.

(Folks might want to check what's left of their 401k retirement lunch bag. Inflation, stagnation, depreciation, etc.,may affect freshness?)

...said a troll :evilshades:

So you'rean honest(or not so honest) real-life troll? Walllll.....I'll be jiggered!

So you'rean honest(or not so honest) real-life troll? Walllll.....I'll be jiggered!

That deepends on who your talkin too. I havent been educated so well so i use spell check. I'm workin' on a general education program for, the impaired, and try it out on a few posts.

Well I've always been into music and wanted to be in a rock & roll band and sorts maybe playing guitar. I hear you can sometimes find some real smart people in groups like that.

Hotlips was a girl I wonce dated, she played real nice and had all sorts of heavy vibes. She was real well connected too.

I was in the way too, how 'bout you. Is your name really jiggered , maybe we could meet?

That deepends on who your talkin too. I havent been educated so well so i use spell check. I'm workin' on a general education program for, the impaired, and try it out on a few posts.

Well I've always been into music and wanted to be in a rock & roll band and sorts maybe playing guitar. I hear you can sometimes find some real smart people in groups like that.

Hotlips was a girl I wonce dated, she played real nice and had all sorts of heavy vibes. She was real well connected too.

I was in the way too, how 'bout you. Is your name really jiggered , maybe we could meet?

No, it's a saying....kinda akin to I'll be dammed