GreaseSpot Cafe

It's as thick as Pea Soup!

brideofjc

I was watching a cooking show on PBS last night and the chef had a really nifty side dish of peas that I'm going to try soon.

1 Bag of frozen or fresh peas

Fresh Ginger

Fresh Mint

Olive Oil

She put the olive oil in the frying pan and then grated some fresh Ginger root and let that cook for about 3-4 minutes to soften. She then poured in the peas and mixed that into the oil and ginger, cooking for about another 5 minutes. Then she added the fresh Mint and VOILA!

Sounds delicious!

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like a variation on British Mushy Peas, which are a common side dish to the UK's fish & chips-here's a basic mushy pea recipe:

Mushy Peas

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 bunch green onions, chopped

1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint

1 pound frozen green peas, thawed

2 tablespoons butter

Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add green onion, mint, and peas. Cover, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Mash peas with a potato masher. Stir in butter, and season with salt and pepper.

Some recipes omit or add ingredients like garlic, cream, yogurt etc. In parts of the UK and Australia they sometimes use it as a sauce over or under meat pies too. Lovely mushy green goodness! Mmm good! :biglaugh:

fishnchips.jpg

leanbeeftiger-harryscafedew.jpg

piepeas-harryscafedewheels.jpg

180px-Pie_floater.jpg

nowIsee: you are absolutely disparaging Brit cooking. :evilshades: Yeuuk. Mushy peas....aargh.

(LOL)

Yeah, they're actually very popular in some parts of the country, especially the north of England. Mushy peas (as served in fish and chip shops) are not made with fresh peas but with dried processed peas. I believe they have a dollop of bicarbonate of soda in with them, which gives them an unnatural bright green color. Personally I don't believe there are any peas in the mush at all.

They can be purchased in cans, from many supermarkets.

Kinda like refried beans, except bright green. And far less pleasant.

Now if anyone has a recipe for pea soup I'd like that, as I have a lot of homegrown peas in the freezer.

Sorry Twinky, it was just too easy to pick on the oh so green side dish.... :biglaugh: ....doesn't really sound that great in the can with food coloring added....eeew!!! :(

Speaking of Brit dishes, there are some good ones, I like bangers and mash, and bubble and squeek, but there is one thing I've never tried which is toad in the hole. Do you like it? Who eats it nowadays or is it something your grandma would have made?

Speaking of Brit dishes, there are some good ones, I like bangers and mash, and bubble and squeek, but there is one thing I've never tried which is toad in the hole. Do you like it? Who eats it nowadays or is it something your grandma would have made?

Musn't forget Yorkshire pudding! Once I made it the first time - there is no way a rib roast gets done in my kitchen without it. My two children can easily wolf down half a dozen. Plenty of perfectly good recipes on line although there are only a couple of ingredients. I cheat and use the disposable muffin tins - much better than cleaning a pan out. I use the meat drippings although you can find recipes that don't call for it.

Edited by RumRunner

• 2 months later...

Oh I just picked up on this thread.

Toad in the hole is sausage links surrounded by batter and baked in an open pan. The sausages brown nicely and the batter is often slightly soft and mushy in the middle. Delicious.

(Sausage links are usually 1/2" to 1" in diameter - not big fat things that you crumble into "biscuits and gravy" which is an entirely different dish.)

The batter for Yorkshire puddings can be rather delicious and there are lots of variations. Basically it's a thinnish batter (made of eggs, milk, plain/all purpose flour and a pinch of salt) that is cooked fast at high temp in the oven. Usually in little patty tins, not one big one. Some recipes add a little beer. Often recommended is to keep a little of last week's batter to add into this week's batter (assumes a Yorkshire pud every week!). If made fresh, best to let it stand for half an hour or so before cooking.

Yes, traditionally cooked with a teaspoon meat dripping, to grease the patty tin.