GreaseSpot Cafe

Going on Vacation to the Big Island

Nottawayfer

We are going on vacation to the Big Island of Hawaii on Monday, 9/29. We will snorkel Captain Cook Monument and Honounou, site see volcanos, City of Refuge, Botanical Gardens, and take in a luau.

We haven't been to this island and would appreciate any suggestion, especially if you feel it is a YOU HAVE TO DO THIS BEORE LEAVING. Restaurant suggestions will be appreciated too. We are staying in Kailua-Kona on the West side. It takes a at least 1.5 hours to drive to Hilo, so we will make a day of it.

Any help is appreciated! Mahalo!

If you have children there is a pretty nifty submarine tour. They've built artificial reefs with old WWII planes and ships to attract fish since The Islands have virtually no continental shelf. Took my kids there 5 or 6 years ago and they loved the sub dive. Also a luau is a requirement. Worth the money for the food and show - make your reservations through a travel agent ahead of time - they usually book a month or two in advance - and unless you fancy becoming Mormon do NOT take a luau run by "The Polynesian Cultural Center." It's a Mormon gig to recruit - plus NO BEER - how can you possibly chow down on roast pig and other Hawaiian food without beer?

If you have an extra day (assuming you are flying through Honolulu then a shuttle to the big island) then stop in at a restaurant/ bar named "The Shorebird" on Waikiki beach on Oahu. Also a tour of the USS Arizona memorial is worth it

Enjoy,

Aloha and Mahalo

Edited by RumRunner

I feel one of the best ways to see the lava flows is to do a charter boat rental, usually the hotel concierge will refer you to someone, and go out by motor boat to the area where the lava flows into the sea. Spectacular and worth the cost, and a memory that will stay with you, you can literally get within feet of the lava as it pours into the ocean.

Definitely go to the farmers market in Hilo, I think its on Wednesdays or Thursdays, it might take more than 1.5 hours to get there from Kona, lots of traffic near Kona at 9, 12 and 5pm.

Make sure you eat a Malasada donut and a Moco Loco or a plate lunch, sushi is also great there.

Hapuna Beach is a great place to swim, got to swim with a young seal the last time I was there. Definitely go to Punalu'u black sand beach in the south western tip of the big island, turtles are common on this beach too.

Definitely get an ocean view room, and sit at an open air bar oceanside and have tropical drinks, and have fun!!!

We don't have kids, so it' sjust us. We already have our room, but we dont' get to pick it. We are renting my boss' time share. It is only $350 for the week. We don't plan to spend much time there anyway.

Do either of you have an experience with any particular luaus? There are so many to choose from, and I don't have anyone to give me any reviews. My boss suggested one in Hilo, but we don't want to drive back at night or when we are tipsy. We will keep all our drinking to Kailua-Kona so we can walk home.

We were going to do a snorkel tour with FairWinds, but it is $120 for a 4 hour trip. Only 1.5 hours is actual snorkel time. It is on Kealakua Bay (Captain Hook Monument). We found out we can rent kayaks and go across the bay ourselves, dock them, and snorkel. Does anyone have any experience with this? I want to spend the majority of my time face down fellowshipping with the fish, manta rays, and other critters.

Quite a range of climates there, just from elevation.

BIG ISLAND NORTH AND EAST- INCLUDING...HILO...VOLCANO...HONOKAA...KAMUELA

340 AM HST WED SEP 24 2008

TODAY:

Mostly cloudy with showers likely.

Highs around 83 at the shore to around 70 at 4000 feet. East winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

TONIGHT:

Mostly cloudy with numerous showers.

Lows around 67 at the shore to around 55 at 4000 feet. Northeast winds around 10 mph shifting to the northwest in the late evening and overnight. Gusts up to 25 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

THURSDAY:

Partly sunny. Numerous showers in the morning, then scattered showers in the afternoon.

Highs around 83 at the shore to around 70 at 4000 feet. East winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

THURSDAY NIGHT:

Lows 52 to 73. Northeast winds up to 10 mph shifting to the northwest around 10 mph in the late evening and overnight. Gusts up to 25 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

FRIDAY:

Partly sunny with scattered showers.

Highs 66 to 85. East winds up to 10 mph with higher gusts. Chance of rain 50 percent.

FRIDAY NIGHT:

Lows 52 to 72. East winds around 10 mph shifting to the northwest in the late evening and overnight. Chance of rain 70 percent.

SATURDAY:

Partly sunny with a 50 percent chance of showers.

Highs 66 to 85. East winds around 10 mph.

SATURDAY NIGHT:

Lows 52 to 72. East winds up to 10 mph shifting to the northwest around 10 mph in the late evening and overnight. Chance of rain 70 percent.

SUNDAY:

Highs 67 to 84. East winds around 10 mph.

SUNDAY NIGHT:

Lows 52 to 72. Northeast winds around 10 mph shifting to the northwest in the late evening and overnight. Chance of rain 70 percent.

MONDAY:

Highs 67 to 84. East winds up to 10 mph.

MONDAY NIGHT:

Lows 52 to 72. Northeast winds up to 10 mph shifting to the northwest around 10 mph in the late evening and overnight. Chance of rain 70 percent.

TUESDAY:

Highs 66 to 86. East winds up to 10 mph.

The Marriot runs luaus on the popular tourist islands (Maui, Hawaii and Oahu). Not touristy at all except for the souvenir shop. All done by islanders - just that Marriot owns the deal. We enjoyed ours a lot. Lots of pre-eat activities for both adults and children. Check for ones that provide bus service to and from your place (or some place walking distance from where you are staying)...that way if you imbibe a little too much of the island drinks (which can catch you off guard) you aren't driving 20 miles... I'll go look and see if there are any I recognize

Do either of you have an experience with any particular luaus? There are so many to choose from, and I don't have anyone to give me any reviews.

I read that the snorkeling/kayak was one of the best spots, I can't verify it, but I bet it's true. There are plenty of blogs where people review the different activities, luau's and restaurants in the Kona area, punch some key words into a search engine and see if you can get more first hand info. There is a public beach in the south end of the Kailua area where people snorkel, we found it too crowded though.

I've been to the Royal Kona Hotel's Luau, it was ok, but your average touristy standard luau, with buffet service, and a show. I heard the ones at the Hilton Waikoloa and the Farmont Orchid were better. Here's a link, and defer to the blogs for more info: luau's. Also go to Roy's in Waikoloa for dinner, if you've never been, it features local Hawaiian fusion cuisine.

BTW, it can rain everyday on the Kona side since the volcanic mountains are so close and so high. There can be a fog/cloud band you can see from the hotels on the coast as you look inland about the +750 ft altitude level in the mornings or in the afternoons, other than a storm system coming in, it is warm enough to not mind a few rain drops, which usually end quickly anyway.

Just remember to fill up your tank before you leave for Kealakua, service stations are sparse down in the southern end of the island.

Here's a few links with reviews, tips..

tripadviser

snorkeling, best restaurants etc

food

We had a great time, but after 3 days of hoofing it around the island, we decided we wanted a relaxing vacation and decided against some of the things we wanted to see. One week is not enough to see th whole island....duh!!

Anywhoo, we went to the Seahorse farm and got educated and had a close encounter with a sea horse They wrap it around your finger. Very cool!

We went to the World Botanical Gardens, Hawaii Tropical Gardens, and Akaka Falls on the Hilo side. This side of the island is the rainy side, but they hadn't had rain for 2 days. The weather was absolutely beautiful!!

The different terrains you see on the island vary so much from one altitude to the next. They have two mountains on the island over 13,000 feet. There are desolate areas with lava rock, then you see desert areas with cactus, and then you can see beautiful tropical green areas. This island is the youngest than the others, and there are few sandy beaches. Most of the beaches have huge lava rocks which you walk on. to get out to the water.

We kayaked across the Kealakekua Bay to snorkel at the Captain Cook monument. That was quite the adventure. Neither of us had EVER kayaked before. We decided to go kayak so we could have more time. The boats with snorkel excursions only have 1.5 hours of snorkeling. I wanted more. Plus we would have had to pay $120 each for a boat ride. We rented a tandem kayak for $67. When we were kayaking across the bay, there were spinner dolphins playing all around....very cool! Poor hubby didn't have enough back support, so we has hurting while we were paddling our arses off. When you get there, you have to dock your kayak on the lava rock. It is hella slippery and was quite challenging maneuvering yourself and a huge kayak on the slippery rocks. We got in to the water, and it was the most beautiful snorkeling I've ever seen! Cozumel Mexico is supposed to be the best snorkeling and diving, but this bay had such a huge variety of fish and coral that nothing I've snorkeled in so far could compare.

We went to the black sand beach and saw the sea turtles on the beach. The weather wasn't so great on that side. It was quite windy and the vog (volcano pollution) was unbelievable even on the Kona side of the island. We made it to the Punalu'u bakery on the way back and had a DELICIOUS malasadas (Portuguese donuts) with passion fruit icing on it which was absolute HEAVEN!

We snorked twice at Honaunau, which was awesome too! There are two steps you enter the water from the huge lava rocks, so it was pretty easy, and the water is deeps, so you don't have to be concerned about smacking in to rocks or coral when you enter the water. It was kind of weird to set your beach chairs and towels out on the lava rocks. They aren't even. There were turtles and spinner dolphins at this location too. You have to keep your distance from them, but it is amazing and exciting to have a pod of dolphins swimming and jumping around you.

We also went to a local beach which was sandy called Ho'okena. It was a nice relaxing day to bask in the sun and ocean.

We just got back today after a redeye flight, but I will post some pictures in the next few days.