GreaseSpot Cafe

Microsoft Photo Editor

GeorgeStGeorge

Okay. I've got Windows XP (Home Version), and for the last few years have used Photo Editor with no problem. In fact, I used it last Sunday. But as of yesterday, when I try to open pictures with it (it was the default image viewer), nothing happens. The icon appears on the bottom toolbar, and if I look in the Task Manager, it says that PE is "running'; but no window, no pictures!

Any ideas?

George

Worse comes to worst, you can use the GIMP and forget about another Microsoft program.

GIMP is a good program but a bit overwhelming. You might try Serif Photoplus - free download for home use and every bit as powerful as photoshop. Not quite as powerful as GIMP but the learning curve is a tad easier.

If all you were using the MS program for was viewing, Firefox will display all common image formats just fine.

Yes, I re-started the PC!

The MS website tells me to re-load PE from the XP CD. Unfortunately, when I try that I get an error message saying that the version on the computer is more advanced than the one on the CD. So that's out. How do I do a System Restore?

My work computer has GIMP. I'm not too fond of it, but maybe because it seems a bit overwhelming.

I use Photo Editor to recolor, resize, crop, etc. Actually, Picture Viewer is still there.

George

Yes, I re-started the PC!

You didn't say so, so I had to mention the most obvious step.

The MS website tells me to re-load PE from the XP CD. Unfortunately, when I try that I get an error message saying that the version on the computer is more advanced than the one on the CD. So that's out.

Sounds like it.

How do I do a System Restore?

Start-All Programs-Accessories-System Tools-System Restore.

It's self-explanatory from there.

("Restore my computer to an earlier time."

Then select the date to Restore from, from the displayed calendar.

Then let the pc Restart with the older settings.

(You'll want the most recent date where the program was still working fine.)

My work computer has GIMP. I'm not too fond of it, but maybe because it seems a bit overwhelming.

I use Photo Editor to recolor, resize, crop, etc. Actually, Picture Viewer is still there.

George

I'd consider RumRunner's suggestion, then. :)