GreaseSpot Cafe

Greasespot Forums...

Cindy!

....is such a great place for folks from all different interests, careers, perspectives, and ideas that I'm comin to ya'll again.....

I am now running an all-girl therapeutic day school and am in charge of part of the residential school we have on-site. I am teaching seven different subjects and addressing many areas of life, living, and learning. I am also in charge of developing the curriculum for all of the day and residential schools my company runs in the chicagoland area and in a few other states.

Subjects include:

Math (all levels)

English (all levels and styles of writing)

Reading

Science (all of em)

Social and World Studies

Computer (including keyboarding, applications, and programming)

Character Ed.

as well as addressing lots of different themes and current events.

If you or someone you know can come speak, give ideas for hands-on, engaging curriculum, and/or know of sources for educational and technology grants, please let me know!!!!

I am also working on a curriculum module for teaching kids who have experienced trauma, substance abuse, and/or being in the fostercare system, therapeutic and coping skills for dealing with life and all the accompanying emotions.

Any ideas, lesson plans, activities, online resources, etc... would be great!!!..this forum is such a good resource for people from all kinds of careers, perspectives, and experiences that I am calling on ya'll again!

I can't help you directly, but the first thing that occurred to me is the wealth of museums you have in Chicago.

Also Boeing has it's corporate headquarters in your city and might be willing to help. They are one of the few companies that is still doing very well these days.

I would venture to guess some of them go to AA or the mtg for narcotics addictions and work the 12 Steps. For the others, they may get a lot out of Al ATeen--for teens who are bothered by someone else's drinking/using.

Lesson plans? I have some things I'll send you in my files. Hope they help.

Edited by waterbuffalo

Having done intervention for a while (academic intervention)-- my favorite Math curriculum is MATHUSEE---and it is very affordable...my ESL kids love it too.

reading - well that depends on what you are working on...where they are at etc. Hi/Lo books are good if you are dealing with deficits. Gander Publishing is a good American source--the Brittish ones are harder to get.

And don't forget your public libraries, which may have free or low-cost computer classes, manga groups, games, programs, and homework help. Oh yeah, they have books, too....

http://www.mppl.org/teens/index.html

And be sure and ask the teen librarian to recommend dynamic people who can come teach stuff to your kids. They have to hire program presenters, too, often with no budget, so they know who's good, and cheap!

Edited by shazdancer

wayside....not yet...but there WILL be arts...I'm working on it!

Jim...way ahead of ya

wb...thanks for the files you sent....they are great!

wnw...I'm looking into MathUSee....I ordered the demo cd the day you posted!

shaz....GREAT idea!!! Thanks!!!

I'm also writing the behavior/level system for all of the day schools my company owns. My boss called me while I was in class tonight to check up on it....he's excited it's coming together FINALLY!!!!

Been a busy week, though....the Educational Director for the area and I have been interviewing....but we think we found the right candidate today! He and I have one more person to interview tomorrow!

This is a GREAT job!!!! I'm busier than a one legged waitress at the IHOP (ala Larry the Cable Guy) but I'm lovin it!!!

Edited by Cindy!