GreaseSpot Cafe

Hardware question

waysider

My son bought a Dell Dimension 4700 a few years ago.

About a month after he got it the fan started making an ungodly racket but didn't seem to be overheating.

Technician came right to the house and fixed it, no charge.

About a year later, he got a laptop and gave me the Dimension.

A week later it did the same thing.

I bought a replacement fan on-line for 4 or 5 dollars, put it in and the problem was solved.

Fast forward another 10 or 11 months.

The same thing happens again so, after listening to it for 2 or 3 weeks, I bought another fan.

The very day it arrived, the fan stopped making noise though it was running.

That was 3 weeks ago and still no noise or overheating. Almost like it healed itself.

Any thoughts?

About a month after he got it the fan started making an ungodly racket but didn't seem to be overheating.

I bought a replacement fan on-line for 4 or 5 dollars, put it in and the problem was solved.

The same thing happens again so, after listening to it for 2 or 3 weeks, I bought another fan.

That was 3 weeks ago and still no noise or overheating. Almost like it healed itself.

Any thoughts?

I had this happen on one of our work computers it was making the noise and then seemed to get back in to the correct position like it had gotten jiggered off track or the fan was crooked. Mind you I had moved the computer before teh noise started... and it did Right itself before I got the computer opened.

Any thoughts?

Sometimes in life, you get to say thank you and walk away. :biglaugh:

Cheap fans.

My company makes thin clients (little tiny desktop machines that can run on 12 volts DC). Just the other day I had to decide whether to use $.50 fans or $6.00 fans. The $.50 fans will behave as you described, the $6.00 fans will last forever. BTW, the pricing is for fans in 100-500 quantities and does not relate to what you would pay. The $6.00 fan would actually be about $32.00 in single quantity.

Thank you all for your responses.

I already put a $4-5 fan in it after my son gave me the computer.

Heck, there wasn't even a shipping charge. :)

What I don't understand is, why, after this fan made a clamor for 2 or 3 weeks, it is now suddenly quiet as a mouse. There is no overheating either.