GreaseSpot Cafe

So You Don't Want To Go To Church Anymore?

Shellon

Shellbert, you little sweetie...

You will cause me to be literate...what's up with that? :)

The subject come-on made me come-in...that and the topictakeagandererstarter is you.

It's a question I have to build up my stamina for before I really answer it (to and) for myself.

Happy Seasonal Wonderments attend thee, toots...mmmwwaa!

X

M

Mon Shellami...

in real life, I speak in words of one sillyables....so you see, I can be monosyllabic.

The book looks very interesting...I will invade Barnes & Noble sometime soon. Why? Becuz you suggested it.

Merry Christmas to all the Northlights!

(I'll keep you posted...)

X

M

(((Tilda)))

What stuck out for me in the book, so far, is that it's not a "well, geeze, we know you're sick of organized religion, so sad, but try this or that and see if you can't be convinced to change your mind, never mind how you really feel"

That is what I get sick of when I suggest I don't want to talk about, go to, think about, discuss again or explain my feelings about church.

Everyone loves their church and wants to up it's membership, share the love they've received, so on.

This book seems to be empathetic and kind about it being ok to be where one is.

Finally, just for me at least, it's not cuz of TWI, fully, that I don't want to go to church, it's so much more than that.

And excath....amen! :wave:

Edited by Shellon

For me it is that it is not enough anymore. The standing up and singing and sitting down and listening

IT is no longer enough for me... I want more!I don't want just three versus with an explanation. I want to sit with other people and really learn it so yeah i don't go to church. I did for a little while when my girls were little but it just didn't work anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Shellon, Thanks so much for posting the link to the book.

I read it on-line over several days and just finished this morning.

I encourage any greasespotters to check it out, regardless of your desires to go to church.

It doesn't take a lot of time to read the whole thing.

I found many places where the experiences I had in TWI (as well as many personal twi-lifestyle viewpoints expressed by others on this forum) were essentially similar to the storylines in the book.

Seeing that in the story other people went through journeys like those shared by people in these forums, I felt very validated about my life and struggle.

( There was a point about 2/3 of the way through, where I wept for a moment, as I remembered the sincere heartfelt experience of just holding hands with other people and innocently and truly praying for one another )

I was also greatly comforted that my journey since leaving twi (almost exactly thirty years ago) has included learning and challenges I see reflected and represented in the book.

Unlike other "resources" (such as the materials, meetings, and websites of organized offshoots populated by former-twi-ers) the hosts for this book are not demanding money, or membership, or likemindedness.

I was free to read, and I did not have to "commit" to anything.

With that in mind, and having finished the book, I would gladly pay to get a copy to re-read and or to share.

Unlike other times (like the offshoot "ministries") when and where there is so much "noise" and very little "signal", I felt free to come and go to the site, and did not have to sort through a lot of creeds, expectations, and just plain old hot air emanating from an "insider, elite I know more than you" verbosity with hints of manipulation in order to fully participate in the life that is being described.

It was a good way to start off the new Year.

DB :)

It's all in what you like I guess.

But for me I think the title would have to be something more like "So you don't feel like chasing Tinkerbells anymore?" Even with that I kinda doubt it would kindle any interest from me. Illogical, unverifiable superstitions just don't have any appeal for me. Real life might not be as comforting or hold as much hope, but it's so much more reliable to live in the real world...