GreaseSpot Cafe

E.B. Stowe Painting

OnionEater

I have a painting by E.B. Stowe signed and dated "78" and measures 24x36. Been searching the net for a year now and can only find an article about his death in Florida and one by a painter that mentioned she studied under him.

I was told by an appraiser that it has value but no specific price was put on it.

I was also told Stowe trained a few of the "Highwaymen" painters of Florida and they all paint in his style but with more vivid colors.

Anyone know of him and have an idea where his paintings have been sold and for how much?

No problem, OE. If you're near a big enough city to have a good library, maybe you could call the fine arts department and ask if they have any reference books on auction prices realized for works of art. I know there are books like that for used/antiquarian books, so I wouldn't be surprised. Might be worth asking.

Googled : "E.B. Stowe" artist

http://sanfordhistory.tripod.com/newsletters/sep2006.pdf

an artist who studied with him:

http://www.myartprofile.com/Narnar

someone who in July had an EB Stowe painting of the St. John's River for sale. You need a facebook account to contact him I think it says. I could help with that or you can get one.

http://daytonabeach.heyclassifieds.com/for...tingby_eb_stowe

not much to go on, Is there a possibilty he is a descendant of Harriet E. B. Stowe (Uncle Tom's Cabin)? That might be a plus

Hi, I would buy the painting if you're interested in selling.

Thanks,

Patty

I am interested in selling it.

We were planning on putting it on EBAY, that's why I was trying to find other paintings of his for sale.

We brought it to SKINNERS in Boston and got a verbal appraisal on it so now we know its value.

If you are serious about buying check your pm.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, E. B. Stowe still has relatives liviing in Sanford, Fl. I have several articles on him. One was written when he celebrated his 100th birthday. I also have quite a few of his paintings in all sizes. Story has it that when Holiday Inn started building in Florida he painted all the art work that was in the rooms. If interested I could try to find the articles I have on him. His niece was a personal friend of mine and I got the articles from her along with the paintings.