GreaseSpot Cafe

After Facing Cancer

TOMMYZ

I worked for nine years in a cancer hospital. It sounded grim at first, but honestly some of the most inspiring, happy, joyful individuals I have ever met are cancer survivors and even cancer patients. You have to learn to live every moment.
I have been there with skin cancer, and agree

1. Skin cancer they really are able to get all of it out, and it seems to be the least horrendous of the types of cancer.

2. Battling diseases and parts wearing out / giving out (I had one total knee replacement recently) does increase living in and for the moment, appreciating the kindness around Right Now.

You are in my prayers for great comfort from the Lord,

• 1 month later...

10 year testicular cancer survivor here, did surgery's and chemo. Early detection is key with anything especially cancer. The earlier it's detected the less radical stuff you need to do, like I had 2 rounds of chemo versus the normal 4 for those who had it spread.

One thing is for sure I don't fear cancer like I did when I was in TWI. You know dogma about cancer being devil spirits and such.

Cancer cells are just like college students on spring break, cell gone wild. LOL All kidding aside if you think you have something don't wait get it looked at, it may be nothing but it's better check and it be nothing.

Seth

Glad to hear you're doing well, Seth. My dad got treated for that back in the 80's and he's still going strong. We can't prove it but our family suspects it's due to the fact that when he had shore leave ( he was on a mine sweeper off of Japan after WW2 had just ended ) he decided to go take a look around Hiroshima. He later said "it looked like any other bombed out city."

• 1 month later...

I got a call from my sister 8 years ago with that message she had C. My life has never been the same. I got skin cancer a couple of years ago, and the doctor could simply take it out. . . I'm not really worried about that so much, but my sister. . .my baby sister. To lose her would be too hard to bear I feel, and so far she's been ok. But I never take her or my two brothers for granted any more.

Glad for all the good news stories on this thread, and so sorry for the losses.

I hope daily for cancer to end its reign of terror over us.

Thanks for the thread Tommyz.

• 2 months later...

Went for the six month chest x-ray and blood test. Everything came up clear. Needless to say I am blessed.

I am blessed for and with you! I wonder how many more 6 month checks they'll do before they don't have to anymore ;)

Went for the six month chest x-ray and blood test. Everything came up clear. Needless to say I am blessed.

Congratulations man. Look I can't vouch for this book but several of my friends who are long term (>7 yrs) "survivors" swear by it. "Anti-Cancer A New Way of Life" - David Servan-Schreiber - ISBN 978-0-670-02034-8

My father died of cancer in '73. My uncle died of cancer in '78. My aunt died of cancer in '79. I was diagnosed with cervical cancer in '85 while I was in TWI. I was amazed at the attitude (and later the irony). My sister was diagnosed with breast cancer in Sept. '04. She died 2 weeks later.

Dad told me to live a life of no regrets. Cancer at 29 sort of nailed that home, but "life" sort of got in the way. My sister's death caused a reversal of my letting life get in the way. I fired most of my clients and went back to school full time. Other than needing a job, I'm pretty regret-less.

• 4 weeks later...

This is strange. Last week my Dad got told he had melanoma. Everyone told him to get a spot on his arm checked and when he went in he got the same diagnosis as me. He's getting treated this week. Because he had been taking aspirin after a bypass they were worried about bleeding. So he's off the aspirin for a week then they'll work on him this Friday. I guess they're being extra cautious because he's 83. I thought things show up in the parents first then the kids. It's weird that I got it then he does.

... I thought things show up in the parents first then the kids. It's weird that I got it then he does.

One thing that I haven't seen brought up here is genetic testing.

On the day that we were married, my wife felt a lump. One surgeon thought the other symptoms were just an infection. Antibiotics and see me in 2 months. My wife felt God telling her to get it checked again. Found another surgeon who immediately did a biopsy. Turned out to be Inflammatory Breast Cancer (IBC). Very aggressive - gets in your skin and spreads quickly. Two months after the first surgeon, she was 3 weeks into chemo.

She was only 42 - how could she get this? Being the curious type, she started researching. About 2 years ago she had a genetic test done. Turns out she has the BRCA-1 gene mutation. Explains a lot. Treatment: take anything that could become cancerous. Over the past 4 1/2 years it seems like much of our time has revolved around surgeries, doctor visits, etc. Because of the IBC and BRCA gene, they want to watch her for longer than 5 years.

Most family docs only look at the mother's side when assessing a woman's risk for BC. Especially if a gene mutation is involved, they also need to look at the father's side. In my wife's case, her father died of lung cancer. 25 years ago, they said it was caused by the asbestos he worked around and was aggravated by his smoking. Probably. But look at his siblings - a sister had BC at 29. A brother just died of pancreatic cancer last year. A niece has already had BC. His grandmother died of 'consumption'. Her mother's family shows no evidence of cancer for at least 4 generations. In men, the mutation usually results in pancreatic cancer. For women: BC, ovarian and cervical. For those with the mutation, there is an 80% chance of occurrence, and then a 60% chance of recurrence.

We are convinced that the gene mutation, which is hereditary, came from him. The bad news is, none of his relatives want to be tested. Now that the specific mutation is known, the test is simple and cheap.

For my wife, it means her two daughters have a 50/50 chance of having the mutation. When they reach 25, they should both be tested.

From our TWI days, we would have been told that there was a spiritual problem here. 'Sins of the fathers' and all that. Believe and it will go away - NOT!

If you have a family history of cancer on either side, be especially alert for any signs. If you think there is a pattern, it is particularly important that the ladies be aware of the potential risks. For those who want more information, check out Facing Our Risk Of Cancer Empowered (FORCE)- http://www.facingourrisk.org

Thoughts of your wife, Kevin, will keep you all in prayers.

My maternal grandmother had breast cancer and my mother has breast issues that keep her cautious so I, of course, pay very close attention to my own health in that regard and I'm thankful for the ability to make informed decisions when needed.

My daughter had most of her cervix removed 2 years ago (she was only 25) and of course that now requires extremely close monitoring of cancerous cells again as well as her daughter's attention for the rest of her life, too. If my daughter hadn't kept up with her annual Gyn exams..........

I get on a soap box and yell kinda loud at men, specifically, who don't tend to their health, won't go to doctors for physicals, won't listen when their body is saying something because of "ah, it's fine, nothing is going to happen to me"

Bullshi+

We do, indeed, have to consider both sides of our genetic make up and value ourselves enough to not just "believe" and/or not just assume.

Edited by Shellon
  • Upvote 1

Thoughts of your wife, Kevin, will keep you all in prayers.

My maternal grandmother had breast cancer and my mother has breast issues that keep her cautious so I, of course, pay very close attention to my own health in that regard and I'm thankful for the ability to make informed decisions when needed.

My daughter had most of her cervix removed 2 years ago (she was only 25) and of course that now requires extremely close monitoring of cancerous cells again as well as her daughter's attention for the rest of her life, too. If my daughter hadn't kept up with her annual Gyn exams..........

I get on a soap box and yell kinda loud at men, specifically, who don't tend to their health, won't go to doctors for physicals, won't listen when their body is saying something because of "ah, it's fine, nothing is going to happen to me"

Bullshi+

We do, indeed, have to consider both sides of our genetic make up and value ourselves enough to not just "believe" and/or not just assume.

There is a downside to having the knowledge of genetic predispositions. One who has a documented predisposition will not be able to get life insurance (I've actually had to fill out forms asking that very question). And, under our current system, a predisposition will also be considered to be a "pre-existing condition." Likewise, certain jobs may be closed to the person (such as military service).

This is not to say that one should not go have regular checkups. But when you start marking a person because of a genetic condition, it can be a scarlet letter. So I can fully appreciate somebody not wanting to be tagged with a certain condition.

Again, let me stress that I am not trying to justify this as an excuse not to have checkups. The only thing I'm talking about is getting genetic tests to determine risk.

• Upvote 1

So my Dad had the melanoma removed and the procedure went well. He'll have to wait 'till next Friday to get the official results but the doc said it looked to him like they got everything.

Since I went through this myself I'm not as worried because of how it went with me but I'll still keep praying 'till I hear the test results. Thank you for your prayers.

So my Dad had the melanoma removed and the procedure went well. He'll have to wait 'till next Friday to get the official results but the doc said it looked to him like they got everything.

Since I went through this myself I'm not as worried because of how it went with me but I'll still keep praying 'till I hear the test results. Thank you for your prayers.

you've got mine Tommy

• 4 months later...