GreaseSpot Cafe

Splinter group

kimberly

O. K. I have read tons of stuff referring to splinter groups. I just read some posts that made me realize maybe I don't know what they are.

Exactly what is a splinter group? When I think of a splinter I think...ouchie boo boo, Ooowwiee, that hurts.

O. K. I have read tons of stuff referring to splinter groups. I just read some posts that made me realize maybe I don't know what they are.

Exactly what is a splinter group? When I think of a splinter I think...ouchie boo boo, Ooowwiee, that hurts.

twi used an extended analogy of a TREE when referring to itself-

with Root locales, Trunks, Limbs, Branches, Twigs and so on.

When groups break away- or broke away from twi, they're referred to as "splinter" groups.

Despite having a lot of variety in what they stressed as they left twi,

there are amazing similarities between them that most of Christianity does not share.

So, it's a general term.

That is the term used to refer to groups made up of mostly ex-TWI people after TWI "splintered" or split into many factions back in the late 80's and early 90's. They range from big ones like CES/STFI and CFF to little local groups and everything in between. Various former TWI followers have organized in various ways, some continuing to present PFAL-like teachings, some presenting similar teachings that differ in a few ways, and some differing widely from TWI doctrine, having only past history with TWI in common.

Interestingly enough, the term isn't limited to ex-TWI. Other groups that broke apart evolved into what they call "splinter groups" too, such as the Worldwide Church of God.

Edited by Mark Clarke